Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Clemente/San Onofre State Park Campgrounds

Pages: 1 17 replies

Anyone interested in coming to the Big Ol' Tiki Bash might want to consider camping out on the beach at our 2 local killer campgrounds. Both of the campgrounds have showers/bathroom facilities and are very popular for weekend getaways. It's definitely a cheaper way to go with a good bohemian spirit and both beaches are very nice. Here are some links to general info/online booking for the
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=646 for San Clemente and http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=647 for San Onofre.
Holden

Thanks so much for posting that info! I'm definitely considering camping out, and these parks look great.

Is anybody interested in sharing a campsite at either of these campgrounds? I'm going to be in the area Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights the weekend of the party, and It'd be fun to have a little "tiki compound" at the campground...

Camping sounds killer....one problem...the campgrounds fill 7 months in advance. The Bamboo Ben tribe has an annual camping trip to San Clemente State Park and it took me (no joke) 5 hours via phone this year to reach the reservation system.
A planned "Tiki Campout" would be something to think about in the future....how fun would that be!!? Wow....nothing better than a roaring fire and really cool people.
Just a thought.
Mahalo!
Mrs. Bamboo

I checked the ReserveAmerica website (the official reservation system for California Stat parks) and San Onofre still has a couple of sites left for those dates, as does San Clemente. I think we could still get a site - it's just the hookup sites that are all booked up. Anybody in?

Thebaxdog and KukuiNut and family would be in. What do we do with the kids on party night. We have a truckload of camping gear. I wanna do it I do I do I do. I am sure they (the State) could get rid of the space if we change our mind.

I'd love to join you - I also have a huge inventory of camping gear, though I might bring my stripped down outfit for this trip since it's such a long drive for me. My problem is that I can't make the reservation myself just now - credit card's tied up with some other stuff so there's no room. If you would like to reserve the site, I'll certainly kick in my fair share when I get there. Were you thinking Friday, Saturday and Sunday?

As far as what to do with the kids on party night, I'm afraid I don't have any ideas...

Mark

Hey! How's about a surfing safari also? I surf San 'O at trail 6 and Old Man's weekly. I've got a few boards and we could have some fun Beach Blanket Bingo Style!

Funny, Alnshely and I talked about this concept over breakfast the morning after the OC Crawl. It started when Uncle Arty suggested that we have a party on the beach at Bolsa Chica. Trouble is, you apparently have to clear out by 10:00 PM. We got to thinking that an overnighter would be the ticket.

Al thought we should call it the Tiki Central or Room 135 Clambake. He said that Sinatra used the term "clambake" when talking about get togethers with Dean and Sammy, etc. They have been thinking of an October date. Is it any easier to get a campsite in the Fall? This is still in the dream stage, mind you.

I'm still most worried about trying to snag a site for the TikiFarm bash. Last I checked there were still a couple of sites left, but I don't have the fundage to book them right now. If anybody's interested in camping for the TF party, please contact me offlist and we'll coordinate.

S

On 2002-07-31 16:07, floratina wrote:
Funny, Alnshely and I talked about this concept over breakfast the morning after the OC Crawl. It started when Uncle Arty suggested that we have a party on the beach at Bolsa Chica. Trouble is, you apparently have to clear out by 10:00 PM. We got to thinking that an overnighter would be the ticket.

Al thought we should call it the Tiki Central or Room 135 Clambake. He said that Sinatra used the term "clambake" when talking about get togethers with Dean and Sammy, etc. They have been thinking of an October date. Is it any easier to get a campsite in the Fall? This is still in the dream stage, mind you.

Hey Tribe,

I would love to make that 'dream' a reality but those early closing of the parks creates a problem. No matter though, we will find a way! Hey, I know this is early, but speaking of October, I am virtually gone for the entire month (East Coast travel). How about a different month? Anyone? Anyone?

S

Aloha,

About the Tiki Farm Bash...

I know I am jumping the gun again, but I went ahead and booked a room at the Best Western Casablanca Inn (just in case). I'm flying in from Utah -- I'm not missing this one!

Rates starting at $75 if you book online! Tough to beat and they are only 2.3 miles from Tiki Farm.

Check it out:

http://www.bwcasablanca.com/rates.htm

Cheers,

Uncle Arty

The Casblanca's a good hotel and about the closest one to the Farm. I currently have a list of 18 hotels in San Clemente, Dana Point and Capistrano Beach and one is even called "The Tradewinds"... perhaps we might find a small slice o' tiki there. Anyways, I'm going to scour the hotels over the weekend and see if there are any deals to be had and which ones are habitable at a good value. I'll post up to tiki central and send out an email via our opt-in list early next week! On a last note, there are 3-4 hotels on Coast Hwy in Capo Beach that are right across from a pretty good "barbecue pit" little beach and one of them is condo style if you want to share the cost with some friends and have all of the ammenities of home - I'll report soon!
Holden

I think the Rm. 135 Clam-bake would work well at San "O" by the "nukes" camp-ground. You sleep in the parking lot but you hike to the beach for the clam bake, king kuku jam, etc. You can get away with a lot more there than you could at Clemente. If they come to bust us, we just run into the caverns and hide!! How old are we? Ye ha! Mmmmmmmmm, clam bake! I'm dying for seafood!! Crab Cooker, here I come!!!

Mahalo,
Bamboo Ben
Bamboo Ben (custom tropical decor)
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648
Store Hours- Sat. 10-5ish
Sun. 11-4ish (summer only)
Other Hours by appointment 714 960-1860

[ Edited by: bamboo ben on 2002-08-08 08:49 ]

Ben, I know it's been a while since you posted it but let's be honest, the Crab Cooker has got to be the best seafood in Orange County. Hands down.

..........in the world!!!!!

D

WE LOVE TO DO SURF TRIPS TO SAN O' FOR THE WEEKEND AND CAMP OUT AT BOLSA CHICA WITH OUR "TIKI-TRAILER" IN TOW. WE MISSED THE CAMP-OUT AT SAN O' FOR THE BIG OL TIKI BASH... SO HAD TO MAKE THE DRIVE BACK TO H.B. WHILE THE PARTY WAS STILL IN FULL-SWING AND BEFORE TOO MANY SCORPIANS WERE CONSUMED. BUT LET US KNOW WHEN THE NEXT EVENT IS AND WE'LL BE THERE WITH ALL THE FUN COCKTAIL SUPPLIES AND MUSIC TO LOUNGE BY.
PEACE OUT,
DEBAGOGO AND SURF-A-GOGO

[ Edited by: DEBAGOGO on 2002-10-01 09:33 ]

HEY DEB, SAY THAT AGAIN? I COULDN'T HEAR YOU......

Pages: 1 17 replies