Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Play'n with Stain

Pages: 1 24 replies

TM

I went a little too dark on this guy. Oh well, maybe next time. This guy is solarized, his eyes glow orange at night...provided he gets some sunshine of course.

Now I like that one, Mon..that's got some mana..give me full body every time. I think dark is good...it says "old and weathered".

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-11-16 14:24 ]

YEAH! I like this one too. Dark is good...

T

the blacker the berry the sweeter the juice! I dig it too, it looks mo' authentic, and less florida.

Hi. I'm new here. I've been carving away on my first tiki for a couple of months. I will post a picture of the finished product eventually.

What tools are you guys using to carve with?

TM

Mr. Chevere,
Welcome, bruddah! Everyone probably has his or her own favorite tool. When you are first starting out sometimes it's good to use tools you are most comfortable with and which are easy to control. Of course, there is no replacement for a really good set of wood chisels. Have fun and let the chips fly!

Sweet.... 6 foot plus? I gotta get my first 3D full body carved one of these days...
Love to see a night shot of the eyes...!

TM

Lake,
Yeah, he was about 66" tall. Sorry, no night pics - I took him to an artshow last weekend and he sold in two hours. But at least I got a photo of him for posterity. The same customers also bought this mailbox holder...

nice!! i dont think its too dark i think its bad..looks kool az hell

TM

Thanks for the positive feedback ya'll. Collectively you guys are probably the best tiki artists on the planet so I really value your opinions. Hey, anybody know how long it takes for oil stain to wear off human skin?

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Nov 17, 2003 4:03 PM

sweeet color brah

Very nice. Great job!

Gojo hand cleaner will take it right off.

Try to wear some chem resistant gloves. Stain is bad fo yo nutz!

S

Does that mean I should stop drinking it?

TM

I do Chik, the problem is I'm such an expressive artist (clutz) it always gets on my arms and legs...perhaps some sort of body suit...oh god, not in the Florida heat. Hey Seamus, it's okay as long as you chase it with a shot of laquer thinner or acetone.

"Expressive artist"
I like that! Me too. That's why I sported spray foam insulation bits for weeks after Halloween.

When I made the dragon, I got so covered in flour'n'glue paste that if I stayed in a squat postion for too long, my thighs got fused to my calves. I'd have to soak for half an hour to get clean and you could have made biscuits with what was left in the bathtub.

TM

PJ, Yep, that flour paste is gnarly stuff. Well, if you decide to make "bath biscuits" again next year just head on up da bayou and set up a roadside stand. Your bodyheat will keep them nice n' warm and there ain't nuttin' better to go wit' gumbo!

Tiki Mon, that by far is my favorite tiki that I have seen of yours. I love it! That trade is starting to sound better. My only problem with it is the fact that it doesn't look anything like Jimmy Carter.

TM

Hahahaha, That's okay brah, I wouldn't expect a famous artist such as yourself to trade for any of my hacked up stuff...actually, that ole' tiki looks alot like President Carter reading his public approval ratings shortly after giving away the Panama Canal.

R

On 2003-11-16 19:49, tikitony wrote:
the blacker the berry the sweeter the juice! I dig it too, it looks mo' authentic, and less florida.

YES YES! I agree! Make more in this vain and your own style. :)

Couldn't resist... :wink:

S
SES posted on Thu, Nov 20, 2003 5:50 AM

On 2003-11-17 08:02, Tiki Mon wrote:
Lake,
Yeah, he was about 66" tall. Sorry, no night pics - I took him to an artshow last weekend and he sold in two hours. But at least I got a photo of him for posterity. The same customers also bought this mailbox holder...

Ask THEM to send you a photo in it's new home.
It looks great. They got a cool tiki.

TM

Lake,
That's hilarious!

S
SES posted on Fri, Nov 21, 2003 1:47 AM

Carter needs to be holding a peanut or a Billy beer in that tiki shot.
:D

Pages: 1 24 replies