Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

For Humu / do ya miss Seattle?

Pages: 1 15 replies

S

You're certainly from Seattle if you ...

1. Have no concept of humidity without precipitation.
  2. Throw an aluminum can in the trash and feel guilty.
  3. Use the words 'sun breaks' and know what it means.
  4. Know more than 10 ways to order a cup of coffee.
  5. Complain about Californians as you sell your house to one for twice its value.
  6. Never go camping without waterproof matches and ponchos.
  7. Half your friends work at Microsoft or Boeing.
  8. Know the exact location of fifteen drive-thru espresso stands in your neighborhood.
  9. Stand on a deserted street corner in the rain waiting for the "Walk" signal.
  10. Know more people who own boats than air conditioners.
  11. Obey all traffic laws except "Keep right except to pass."
  12. Can taste the difference between Starbucks, Seattle's Best Coffee, and Veneto's.
  13. Consider swimming an indoor sport.
  14. Consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it's not a real mountain.
  15. Know exactly what they mean by "Today's forecast: showers followed by rain" and "Tomorrow's forecast: rain followed by showers." (Just like Eskimos are said to have twelve words for snow.)
  16. Can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese, and Thai food.
  17. In the winter, go to work in the dark, come home in the dark, and only have an 8 hour day.
  18. Understand what people mean when they say "pop." (Translation: soda)
  19. Consider a floating bridge a pain in the butt, not an engineering marvel.
  20. Know what lutefisk is.
  21. Feel overdressed wearing a suit to a really nice restaurant.
  22. Can point to at least two volcanoes, even if you can't see through the cloud cover.
  23. Personally know someone from Alaska.
  24. Feel like you've grown up with Bill Gates and can't figure out why people can be so mean to him.
  25. Think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or tourists.
  26. Find a wallet with $500 and give it back to the owner.
  27. Know how to pronounce: Sequim, Puyallup, Rainier, and Issaquah.
  28. Used to live somewhere else but won't admit it publicly.
  29. Know the difference between Chinook, Coho, and Sockeye salmon.
  30. Knew immediately that the view out Frasier's window was fake.
  31. Ever ordered a half caff/decaf, nonfat mocha Grande with raspberry whip (or know what it is).
  32. Attended a wedding where the bride and groom registered at REI.
  33. Are amazed at an accurate weather forecast.
  34. Heard someone ran their car off the freeway and asked if they drowned.
  35. Put on your shorts when the temperature gets above 50, but still wear your hiking boots and parka.
  36. Switch to your sandals when it gets above 60, but keep the socks on.
  37. Have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain.
T

I am trying to picture you in socks and sandals, Sweetpea... and it just ain't happening!

I just moved to Seattle from Long Beach last week. Is is a requirement to smoke if you live in Seattle? How about a little no smoking legislation for the bars and restaurants. I asked the checkout lady at Thriftway if they take Vons or Ralphs cards and she said "what are those?" To any Seattle TCers reading this: Where are the cool thrift stores, antique stores and tiki
hang outs? Thanks

T

I don't know about Seattle but it is mandatory to smoke in Montreal. And they're damn cool.

You ain't seen a smokin' city til you've been to Portland. A butt in every hand and a smoke shop on every block.
As for smoking in public places, [comments deleated by the author to avoid political discussion, e-mail him privately if you want to help whip up a frenzy. woofmutt at yahoo dot com.]
Good thrift shops...Check the Yellow pages, they're all pretty good. (It's all luck, anyway. Despite the tens of thousands of dealers in Seattle I've managed to make my life nearly unliveable with cool junk.) For more specific details, e-mail me, I've been to them all, from Mayrsville to Tacoma.

Here are the cool Tiki places in Seattle:

Here are the pretty cool ones:
The Islander (Not up to most Centralites standards, all I can say is I like it.)

Here are the rest:
Lava Lounge
Ohana
Luaua
Tiki Bob's

For great Northwest Tiki times go to Portland and spend a drunken afternoon at the Alibi.

S

Howdy, and Welcome to the LOVELY RAINY GRIDLOCK TRAFFIC, Pacific Northwest~ hehehehe
I guess we are now gettin payback for the 60+ days of sunshine this past summer. I think it's time to build a tiki ark. heeheehee.
I'll try ho help answer some of yer questions now, and save some fer later.. heehee
Okay,

1. Von's is Safeway, so go there, and trade in yer card. Albertsons and QFC each have their own cards. Thriftway, I dunno about them, I know that the one in my hood switched to a "Metropolitan Market" cause apparantly they were too shi-shi to be a thriftway. Whatever.(over priced like ya wouldnt belive, but if ya happen to need 30 kinds of olives, they got em...)
  2. The smokin thing. Git over it. There are some bars, and most restaurants without bars that are non smoking. I think it's so funny that seattle is considered an "environmentally friendly-hippies drivin VW- mountain climbing city, heehee, and we still git to puff in bars, unlike such cosmo places like LA, San Fran, and NEW YORK! hehehehehehehhee
    I only laugh, cause I'm in the process of quitting. I say process, cause I'm down from a pack a day, to ONE single smoke a day... just gotta git over that last one.
  3. Woof gave ya the list of places pretty much. I'll add Leilani Lanes (if it's not there, I'm a spaz today.) It's a bowlin alley, and they used to have tikis painted on the walls. The bar is still super cool, split level, fake firplace, good mai tais. Not sure if they still have the tiki swizzle stix though.

Tiki-riv, what part of town did ya land in?
Let us know. Maybe we can do a Tues at Thaiku, if ya haven't already, and maybe, since I missed the Islander and Woof, we could head done that way one night.

More goodies to come later.
(not sure yet if I wanna give up all my
secret thrift haunts...) hehehehe
Pea

[ Edited by: sweetpea on 2003-11-18 13:53 ]

S

ps to tikifish, heehee
yer right, no sandles and socks for me, heehee
it'd be vintage wedgies and socks~!
heheheheheheheehehehe
JUSt KIDDIN... about the socks anyhow.

Californians are definitely spoiled by the no-smoking thing. Try spending any time outside of North America, and you will consider Seattle a smoke-free zone.
My classes in Spain don't have smoking IN the classroom, but in the halls between classes, the students AND the teachers are all busy huffing away.
London used to be that way, but I haven't been there in a decade. My polite "no, thank you" when offered a fag (still makes me giggle) was always met with a shocked, "You don't smoke?!?" Hair-washing always turned the water a nauseating dark color, all from smoke absorption.
I loved my one trip to Seattle, except that every day was a Bad Hair Day!! That damn drizzle! But, mmmm, those boys were cuuuute. Yeah, like any would look at Miss AfroSheen here after walking a short distance from the car to the restaurant...

Right now i'm living in West Seattle. Hope to buy a house in the next few months.

T

You can smoke while waiting for your plane in Charles de Gaulle airport (Paris). The French love their Gauloises!

The interesting thing is, the French airport folks just installed super powerful space age ventilation things, so even though people were smoking right beside you in the chic open smoking lounge, you couldn't smell it at all. Pretty astounding. Not like the nasty smoking room in Toronto Pearson, which is the size of a closet and could choke a 3 pack a day smoker.

So why ban smoking? Just install space age smoke suckers!

Sorry to hijack this into a smoking thread. But it could just as easily be a socks and sandals thread. I'm easy.

S

heehee, tikifish, yer so cute! hehehee
actually, I try and figure out the smking area in VEgas, they must have the space age suckers hidden in the fake palm trees, cause the walls of the smoking lounge are only like 8 feet high. hhehehehehehe

Tikirev, uh, where in WS? I live down on
Alki beach. I work at Luna Park Cafe on Avalon (50's diner)
We could meet for a drinkie pooh at Bamboo (generic tiki restaurant with sports always on the tv- used to be my favorite chinese restaurant...RIP Golden Sun) down on the beach.
Lemme know.

On 2003-11-18 13:50, sweetpea wrote:
Howdy, and Welcome to the LOVELY RAINY GRIDLOCK TRAFFIC, Pacific Northwest~ hehehehe

1. The smokin thing. Git over it. There are some bars, and most restaurants without bars that are non smoking. I think it's so funny that seattle is considered an "environmentally friendly-hippies drivin VW- mountain climbing city, heehee, and we still git to puff in bars, unlike such cosmo places like LA, San Fran, and NEW YORK! hehehehehehehhee
    I only laugh, cause I'm in the process of quitting. I say process, cause I'm down from a pack a day, to ONE single smoke a day... just gotta git over that last one.
    [ Edited by: sweetpea on 2003-11-18 13:53 ]

Sweetpea, if it's any help toward your quitting smoking, you know all those terrible diseases & health problems they say heavy smokers have? The scientists consider anything over 1 cigarette a week a heavy smoker; that was cigarette not pack.

What's sad about that Seattlite list is I got more right yeses on it than the Tiki Freak questionare, & I live in San Diego.

The scientists consider anything over 1 cigarette a week a heavy smoker; that was cigarette not pack.

If this is true, I've been dead since I've been born!!!

Aw... I wasn't missing Seattle until you posted that list, Pea. The only "no"s for me are 7, 24 and 36. Most of the computer geeks in the Seattle area are actually pretty anti-Microsoft, the only people I've ever known there are more marketing types, and they find themselves often having to apologize for the place they work. I would never, ever wear socks with sandals. I used to, but I finally figured that one out.

Riviera -- you must be hanging out in different parts of Seattle than I did. I never thought Seattle was a particularly smoking-heavy city. The smoke is pretty heavy in the nightclubs, though.

There is only one tiki place that is actually a cool hang-out, but it ain't truly tiki: Tuesdays at Thaiku in Ballard with Selector Lopaka. I miss you, puamana & Lopaka!

P

We miss you too, Humuhumu ! You left just in time to miss the crappy weather that's been kicking in, lots of rain and even slushy snow the other morning. Time to plan our escape to the islands in the spring for some sun. How's life in CA ?

tiki-riviera, welcome ! Sorry the weather has been so funky since your arrival, it does get better. Let us know once you get settled in, it would be great to to meet up sometime, wherever folks wanted to go. Though the flea market here is tiny compared to the CA shows, we have managed to find some things there, but do better on our drives both north and south of here. Garage sales are good in the summer.

[ Edited by: puamana on 2003-11-20 14:17 ]

Puamana

Thanks for the welcome. First thing I need to do is buy some warm clothes, i'm freezing my *** off!! Lets plan to meet for drinks with the Seattle crowd sometime.

Pages: 1 15 replies