Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: The LAST Kahiki inspired Moai mask and an Alien mask listed

Pages: 1 10 replies

R

This is the last Moai mask I have and I may not do any more as they cost me around $15 each with all the cost factored in. The last sold for only $17 and two dollars profit is not really worth my time to make more up. Too bad really, as I thought it was a cool piece and many folks asked about them. :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=553&item=2870845660

I have 3 of the aliens left to sell and I am keeping the last snorkle one for myself as I couldn't get more than $9.95 for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=553&item=2870841642

On the other hand those damn big teeth and lipped cannibals are going for stupid prices :lol: :roll: , but I an glad to make at least some profit! I also have 2 or 3 more Savage masks to list, but probably wont have anymore after this run either as there seems to be little interest.

Sorry the sales didn't go as you planned Rattiki.

Below is the mask that you kept for yourself and had no duplicates made, and, of course, none were for sale. It is MY favorite. Let's say you made another trip and were going to have these (see below) made up. What would your "straight sale", non-ebay, pay-you-in-advance price be?

Enter The SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-11-18 07:21 ]

A

Making up these masks was a great idea. The carvings are very cool. I can't believe they didn't sell for more. I say don't give up, maybe try other Tikis like old mugs or signature Tikis.
Mahalo,
Al

Hey, don't look at me - I bought one of these, and paid the "stupid" price - ha! And I'm very happy with mine, and just may go for the last Kahiki one, and the Sepik "Alien" looking one too.

AND, I took the opportunity to leave my very positive feedback in the manner of my new hero, Mr. Non-Sequiter Feedback, as seen on another thread here. Lucky you, Rattiki! (Sorry it took so long to leave it, too - I could NOT get to the dang post office to pick up the package! It was KILLING me!!)

F

K

I might go for these too. Maybe we can get the price up a little.

Scotty

I might jump in there too...
Like the alien!

R

Thanks guys for the support! :)

SugarCaddyDaddy I'll look into it. The main cost for all of this is the shipping, the carvings are only $3-4 each (and hence why I brought back two boxes of them). :wink: The choice is between air at $8.70 KG (2.2 lbs.) and it takes 2-3 weeks, or sea at $3.95 a KG BUT it takes 2-3 MONTHS to arrive. This of course is after they carve and dry them them. The drying being very important as there is a huge weight loss and it takes at least 10-14 days (you must do this slowly or they can crack) for the pieces to get down to about a kilo each in weight. The pieces I brought back when they were less than a week old, lost 1/2 their weight with another weeks drying!

I will probably have the carver, Noel, who made the 'bone in nose' Cannibal make some more of those and a couple of other things since he seems to do the best work and is the most reliable. But he can only make about 2 pieces a day. Also there is someone asking me to custom replicate 4 different masks from a Shag drawing (I am so sick of Shag) for him, and I think it would be a bit difficult, but if I do it I would probably have Noel make up several of each of them for me.

Formikahini I am glad you like the Cannibal and thanks for your feedback. I hope it finds a cool spot to hang. :D

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2003-11-18 12:33 ]

*On 2003-11-18 12:29, Rattiki wrote:*Formikahini I am glad you like the Cannibal and thanks for your feedback. I hope it finds a cool spot to hang. :D
Hang?? Hell, no, I'm WEARING it!! That keeps the kids's attention, especially when we're working on really boring verb conjugations :)

C

Bump.

Rattiki, do you have an estimated price if we were to commission these individually from you? My alien is lonely.

I would have paid more than I did. The pics don't do it justice.

C

Bumpity, bump.

Gustw, you asked about inexpensive tiki carvings. Can't say they are guilt free, I felt like I got a steal. Hope Rattiki is still around.

i somehow missed this train. if you are going back let us know, maybe place an order before hand
thanks

Pages: 1 10 replies