Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Most Annoying Musical Instrument ?

Pages: 1 36 replies

T

I was listening to the radio yesterday. There was an interview with Bella Fleck and The Flecktones. Has anyone heard of these guys, they play annoying jazz instrumentals with the banjo as the lead.

As God is my witness, blood actually ran from my ears!

This got me thinking is the banjo the most annoying instrument??

YES!

Hoity-Toity Wanna Be

[ Edited by: tikimug on 2003-11-19 11:49 ]

What about the syrinx? It's that nasal sounding woodwind used in snakecharmer scenes in the movies.

I don't think any one instrument is the 'most annoying'. Any instrument can be annoying; it's all in how it's played.

The banjo, besides being 1 of only 2 American instruments (the other is the steel guitar), is actually a very beautiful sounding instrument when played in a Bluegrass style for instance. The fast paced finger-picking style is difficult to master

A

I quite agree, annoyance comes from the player not the instrument.

The Appalachian dulcimer is also native to the US.

A

T

Well, if you want to include Harry Partch's creations, there are a whole lot more instruments native to the US.

And, to cross reference another recent thread -
two really annoying words are:
Harry Partch!

I respect his contributions to music, his ideals, his genious... but man, that stuff will make you nuts, fast.

S

That damned violin. Very grating.

J

I think there is only one l in Bela, as in Bela Fleck. God, how the hell did I know that bit of information!!!! I saw the name on the marquee of the Spreckels Theatre in downtown San Diego. I wondered what they were about, thanks for the warning!!

E

My favorite American instruments BESIDES steel guitar:

• Hammond B3 organ
  • Fender Rhodes piano
  • Fender Telecaster, Stratocaster, and Precision Bass
  • Minimoog synthesizer

:)
em

let's not forget "compound bucket, hit with two sticks."

E

Most annoying: the voices of Indian women who sing that Bollywood soundtrack-type music. Proven to damage the human immune system.

perplexed,
em.

http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=5071&sound=322

A Tiki Cheers To You!

Take A Video Tour Of Unga’s Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-11-19 17:31 ]

K

A diggery doo.
(sp?)

:drink:

I believe every instrument in the musical spectrum has a time and a place. Some instruments just seem to have more limited versatility (for lack of a better word) than others. I don't think I would like "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" or "Washington Square" without the banjo...and certainly NOT "Dueling Banjos"! Even the lowly kazoo gets a shot in Country Joe & the Fish's "Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die Rag" and Bonzo Dog Band's "Urban Spaceman".

I know this may be cliche, but I've never been a fan of bag-pipes. Even when played correctly...

-Slacks

I knew that was coming! I'm surprised nobody jumped on the pipes earlier.

On 2003-11-19 13:35, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I don't think any one instrument is the 'most annoying'. Any instrument can be annoying; it's all in how it's played.

I disagree.

Didgeridoo's annoy the hell out of me! Even if they're played correctly (not that I would be able to tell the difference).

http://www.laoutback.com/didgeridoo/shop/default.htm

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-11-19 21:48 ]

Yoko Ono

Most annoying instrument? Anything being played by the Shaggs.

There is an all-banjo Dixieland band in the Sacramento area, with about 30-40 banjos in all -- truly frightening.

1. bagpipes
  2. Celine Dion

Bela Fleck is about the only banjo playin' I can tolerate.

For the record -- I like dijeridoo.

bad news, I heard yoko ono and celine dion were releasing a dixieland bagpipe digideroo album...

(feat. vanilla ice)

S
SES posted on Thu, Nov 20, 2003 7:43 AM

On 2003-11-20 01:09, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

1. bagpipes
  2. Celine Dion

lol... seems we have similar tastes here.

I at least hope that those commenting that this instrument sounds horrible, or this vocalists sucks, actually play something other than the CD (or themselves).

The vast majority of individuals lack the self-discipline to master anything other than whining...

(alright, let me hear you're rebuttal to this post)

I agree totally, Bong. I've always loved the banjo and the sound of the bagpipes. Both of those instruments are very difficult to master, especially the banjo. While some of you may think the banjo is reserved for slack jawed inbreds, there are plenty of guitarists that would kill to be able to fingerpick a banjo with some degree of mastery.

Quit your whining and try to figure it out.

For me, the thing is how long can I listen to the instrument before I'm ready to hear something else. (Someone on the thread about Most Annoying Song referred to this as how long before they lunged for the radio dial - classic!) I own and enjoy diggerydoo, bagpipe, banjo, etc. albums, and there are some solos with some assorted odd pieces that I love. But I do not own and cannot imagine listening to an entire ALBUM of kazoo or Jews harp playing. I haven't tried it, so maybe I can't knock it - so sue me.

T

Agree, all you want. I'm not saying that the banjo or any other instrument is difficult to play or that there aren't people you play them well.

I'm just saying that I don't find that the banjo is designed to sound pleasing to me. I don't care if my sister (who is also my wife) can pick it till her inbred fingers fell off. I just can't think of one time when I said... "that's some great soundin' banjo playin'"

And as far as I know, I don't think you have to be an expert at something to have an opinion on it. (Bong you should know this more than anyone! :wink: I kid, I kid..) I'm no master chef but I know that McDonalds makes a lousy hamburger.

Wailin' wankin' electric guitar solos, a la Eddie Van Halen, really annoy me!

do arm pits and rear ends count?
....wait i find those amusing instruments.

Actually I was speaking analogously when I was calling the syrinx annoying: I'm annoyed by how it's used not that it's used. I actually like the syrinx in chinese music. But I like didgeridoos, bagpipes, theremins, kazoos, jaw harps, steel guitars, dulcimers, banjos, Mini Moogs (& just about anything Bob Moog does), "compound bucket & sticks", octarinas, and guitar wank (if you think Eddie vanH is bad, listen to Yngwie Malmsteen :)). I've even listened to Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" all the way through in 1 sitting, try that!

Mr. Bong, does my mastery of the kazoo & jaw harp allow me to whine now? :D

On 2003-11-20 09:56, Tiki_Bong wrote:
(alright, let me hear you're rebuttal to this post)

http://www.jokes.thefunnybone.com/waves/6farts.wav

T

I rest my case...

click here

scroll down to "Stairway To Heaven Covers" and listen to Dixie Power Trio's version featuring banjo and tuba!

That's what I'm talking about.

Indian music makes me horny. As far as annoying? I am a huge 13th Floor Elevators fan, but the electric jug gets annoying at times.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-11-20 13:30 ]

On 2003-11-20 10:17, tikimug wrote:

And as far as I know, I don't think you have to be an expert at something to have an opinion on it. (Bong you should know this more than anyone! :wink: I kid, I kid..) I'm no master chef but I know that McDonalds makes a lousy hamburger.

Well technically Tikimug, your original post did not state your opinion, but rather you asked a question; a question is not an opinion, it's a question.

I was, however, stating my opinion. It was not meant to be an attack on your ah... question (?).

And while I agree that McDonald's makes lousy hamburgers, there have been 1.7 billion instances of people enjoying them I guess.

I am a huge 13th Floor Elevators fan, but the electric jug gets annoying at times.

BK, you can hang at my pad. I have every 13th floor elevator cd, no wax :( .
I also have a few bootlegs and what-not.
I do agree in some songs it does get annoying.

Outhouse Moan(my band btw)is rooted in 13th Floor Elevators. and the vibes of Roky. We even have an electric jug!

Hmm i think i'll groove out to them when i get home.

http://www.outhousemoan.com got it right this time Juno :wink:

T

On 2003-11-20 13:56, Tiki_Bong wrote:

Well technically Tikimug, your original post did not state your opinion, but rather you asked a question; a question is not an opinion, it's a question.

I was, however, stating my opinion. It was not meant to be an attack on your ah... question (?).

And while I agree that McDonald's makes lousy hamburgers, there have been 1.7 billion instances of people enjoying them I guess.

Well technically Bong, you're right I did ask a question. Then I answered it, with my opinion. Typically, when someone "ranks" something (ie. the best, the worst, the least, the most...) they use their opinion to form their list. One persons "best might certainly be someone elses "worst" These are usually based on their "opinions"

And technically, I am not sure how ones "opinion" could "attack" a question. I thought questions were answered. I'm pretty sure however, "opinions" could "attack" other "opinions"

Technically, one should not assume that just because 1.7 billion of something was sold, that 1.7 billion of said items were in fact "enjoyed"

[i]On 2003-11-20 16:07, tikimug wrote:...I'm pretty sure however, "opinions" could "attack" other "opinions"
Cool! A new home video show: "When Opinions Attack!"

E

On 2003-11-20 10:21, tikifish wrote:
Wailin' wankin' electric guitar solos, a la Eddie Van Halen, really annoy me!

Yes, yes, YES!!! Let the guitar solos cease! Make all the wanky rock "guitar soloists" STFU!!! Put 'em in reeducation camps, burn their instruments (esp. the funny-shaped ones) on a big pyre!

Pant, pant...,
em.

E

You know...FUNNY-SHAPED ONES:

Pages: 1 36 replies