Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I don't understand why no one is making these!

Pages: 1 12 replies

R

If they can get $426.01 for one at auction and it would cost maybe $5-10 to mass duplicate it, couldn't they sell them at $20+ each?! I know I would buy one! :D I saw a similar one a few months back go for the same kind of money. It is amazing what people will pay for things :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3253724304&category=2001&rd=1

Rattiki,

The winners of that bid are my friends Don and Michelle. They own Aloha Spirit in San Clemente. Believe me, Don and Michelle are extremely knowledgeable about all things hawaiiana.

If you've ever seen any of Mark Blackburns books on hawaiiana, you've seen many of pieces of Don's collection. I have a number of extremely rare and one-only hawaiiana pieces, but Don's collection blows my mind.

In the next couple of weeks I'm going to post pictures of some hawaiiana categories in Madame Bong's collection. You're right, the prices can be unbelievable. I've seen Tepco leaf pattern water pitchers go for $1,600 plus, and those people knew they had a good deal.

I can tell you're no slouch when it comes to tiki and mugs, but this is just a different type of collection, and is very much a part of hawaiiana from decades ago.

The magic word here is "vintage".
Personally speaking, I would not buy a remake of a Tiki Bob mug. It's all or nothing.

S

Hey Bong, does any of the Treasurecraft Hawaii stuff qualify as rare, or valuable?
I know it's collectable to some, but just wonfered if there are any particular pieces that are more high dollar type items.

Seamus,

Madame Bong has a large colletion of Treasure Craft items. But as with most of her collection, she collects because she enjoys the items.

I dismay her when I refer to it as 'Treasure-crap' (later in the evening, after recieving the 'not tonight', I quit referring to it as such).

AlnShelly Al said she has 1 somewhat rare item - a 9 or 10" Ku.

TreasureCraft - while vintage to a degree, is it rare (?).

(Oddly enough, a number of pieces have 'made in Compton' on the bottom. I wonder if N.W.A. has any TreasureCrack.)

R

On 2003-11-20 09:45, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Rattiki,

The winners of that bid are my friends Don and Michelle. They own Aloha Spirit in San Clemente. Believe me, Don and Michelle are extremely knowledgeable about all things hawaiiana.

If you've ever seen any of Mark Blackburns books on hawaiiana, you've seen many of pieces of Don's collection. I have a number of extremely rare and one-only hawaiiana pieces, but Don's collection blows my mind.

In the next couple of weeks I'm going to post pictures of some hawaiiana categories in Madame Bong's collection. You're right, the prices can be unbelievable. I've seen Tepco leaf pattern water pitchers go for $1,600 plus, and those people knew they had a good deal.

I can tell you're no slouch when it comes to tiki and mugs, but this is just a different type of collection, and is very much a part of hawaiiana from decades ago.

If you have the money and/or you can recoop the cost by profiting from a book etc., more power to you! Don't get me wrong, I love this stuff, my question is if it is so sought after, then why isn't say, your friends that own Aloha Spirit, having them 'remade' to sell like Tiki Farm did the Trader Vic's Suffering Bastard etc.

On 2003-11-20 12:07, Unga Bunga wrote:
The magic word here is "vintage".
Personally speaking, I would not buy a remake of a Tiki Bob mug. It's all or nothing.

I am VERY happy there are remakes, true vintage is wonderful, if you can find and afford it, but I am almost as happy to have the remakes if I can't procure them otherwise. You also have to take into account that everything vintage PolyPop/Tiki (especially 30's-40's stuff) has gone through the roof in price the last few years. I also collect pre-Castro Cuban articles (maracas, clavas, drums, posters, maps, brochers, etc) and the prices on these things is strong, but not NEARLY as astronomical as things 'Tiki' from the same era.

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2003-11-20 18:09 ]

S

..."I wonder if N.W.A. has any TreasureCrack."...
LOL - If so, I'm sure it's not worth that much either!
I feel pretty much the same about the "Treasurecrap". buy I have this one figure of a Hawaiian drummer thats about 11" tall that is kinda cool. I don't see much of the stuff around here, but I've never seen one of these before. And it's stamped made in Hawaii.

Rattiki~

How do you like this?

Email Purple Jade.

Yeah, she made it!

I think it's great!

R

On 2003-11-20 19:54, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Rattiki~

How do you like this?

Email Purple Jade.

Yeah, she made it!

Yes SugarCaddyDaddy I saw it before and thought it was very cool, but I didn't know she was selling them.

Hey Bong,
Please do post some of Mrs. Bong's collection. I was blown away by her Hakata figures and would love to see more. It's very inspiring.
Aloha,
:tiki:

T

On 2003-11-20 19:54, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
How do you like this?

Yeah, she made it!

I was drooling over this, wondering how many hundreds of dollars it was going for, and then I see that PJ made it.

Man, her stuff just gets better and better.

How long until her stuff IS hundreds of dollars?

She'll get it too!

On 2003-11-21 14:50, Tiki Royale wrote:
Hey Bong,
Please do post some of Mrs. Bong's collection. I was blown away by her Hakata figures and would love to see more. It's very inspiring.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Tiki Royale,

This weeks edition is vintage rattan furniture. But I will be showing some of her collection of Julene figurines. Julene is 93 and lives in Kaneohe.

Pages: 1 12 replies