Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

North Shore SWELLS at 25 FEET!!!! DAMMMMMM!

Pages: 1 20 replies

G

EH Surf freaks!! anybody coming to da islands anytime soon? if so and you're wun bonzai surfa, go to pipeline if you're crazy enough!!! Da whole north shore is poundin' right now 20 to 25 FEET!!!!

even if you don't surf HO! yo jus gotta see these MONSTA'z!

shootz

Take pictures!

Better yet, take pictures with SHECKY IN DA PICTURES!!!!

K

Grab your stick Gecko and get a wave for me. If I had the time and money I'd be right beside you bro.

Scotty

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Nov 21, 2003 4:04 PM

eh TF, If I had a Shecky I would grab a great shot for ya but don't have one yet. I'm hitting da beach Sat. I'll try fo get a few pics of dem MONSTAZ if they're still poundin ya.

I drove to da North Shore yestaday fo wun job I get ova de and HO!!! I had fo pull ova!! I couldn't belive how big dem killaz were!! Life guards pulled peopo in like at least 6 times dat i seen.

Unga Bunga, like dem cartoon cartoon!

Scotty, Brah if you gon be right beside me you gon be on da beach watching dem crazy local boys riding dem monstaz! I'm not ready fo die yet. like John Wayne sez when he gets shot "go on with out me"!!

T

I just heard they have plans to build a man made beach about a 3 minute walk from my new place - on the Harbourfront (Lake Ontario). I'll be sure to post pics of me surfing the waves there once it's finished... if I don't die of e. coli poisoning first, or get my blood sucked dry by a 4 foot lamprey, or get swarmed by zebra mussels...

Just joking about the surfing thing. I only surf the web.

K

Oh don't think I'm some great surfer. I used to tear up the sidewalks and swimming pools on a skateboard when I was a kid. My boss was stationed in Hawaii for eight years and got to be a pretty good surfer. Every year we go to bike week and biketoberest in Daytona. He taught me to surf at Cocoa Beach several years ago, so we go twice a year and catch some real mellow Atlantic waves that anyone in Hawaii would laugh at. I've always dreamed of breaking my neck on a stick in Hawaii. Gecko, I'd be right there with you on the beach watching the crazy locals too. I bet those swells are amazing to watch.

Scotty

Yo Gecko
25 footer...is that all? :)
Have you seen the film "Condition Black"? If you like BIG WAVES, you gotta see this. It features Ken Burns riding an 85' wave back in Jan. 1998 when Oahu's North Shore was hit with monster weather and waves. It has some incrediable footage and gives great insight of these Watermen.
Check out: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/conditionblack/interview.html
Aloha!

[ Edited by: tiki rider five-O on 2003-11-21 20:02 ]

MB

Chills, chills, chills.
To sit on a beach and witness a swell of this magnitude is one of the most thrilling natural phenomenon to experience. The power behind mother nature is so evident, it just blows your mind. And, to boot, watching people conquer the power is beyond description... really. Treat yourself sometime and book Ohau in the winter and pray for a swell on the Northshore, you'll never forget it.
Aloha Gecko...thanks for the update and memories!
Mahalo,
Mrs. B

25' is 50' in Hawaiian, right?

(F'in crazy, man!!!)

S

We get 'em big up here on the Oregon Coast too. I know a guy who only goes out when it's 20' or better. I learned how to surf in these icy waters, but haven't braved it in years. You need a 5 mil suit with hood gloves and booties or you won't even make it out. I prefer the pain of the concrete these days since we got our own skatepark now.

G

"25' is 50' in Hawaiian, right?"

Das right revran! locals measure da waves different then the news peopo. They're hittin probubly about 40'. We're grabing da camera, grill, pupu's and beer to head out da door. Hopefully Kamehameha hwy is open because they closed it down yestaday because da waves were pounding over da
F*#%$#* highway......SWEEEEEEET!!!

auwwwright!

The funny thing about North Shore swell is how quickly it can dissappear. On the mainland a swell may last 1 to 2.5 days; on the North Shore, a big swell may only last 3 or 4 hours and it's gone.

With that said, the North Shore is a true paradise of large surf. It's the kind of place that when you're paddling out, you see monster waves coming, you paddle like a mutha fu$& to get under the lip, only to see even bigga waves farther out coming your way. But when you finally get out to the line up, it's heaven...

G

Bong....3 hours? brah, try 3 days! dats how long they been pounding. You're talkin bout da summer. Unfortunatly da waves were smalla today but braddah'z and sisstah'z i give you a surfah'z PARADISE....

paddlin out to da miny monstaz

check out da peopo standin on da right. look at da wun guy standin at da front by himself and look at da swells.

this is as close as I got!!

wun of my lil bros wit da wahine. it drop down to da low 70's and she has a cold so she put on some sweats. Eh BoobamBen, dat shirt look familiar?

coast line towards Waimanalo

coast line da udda way. Towards Hawaii Kai

dats it for now my friends. Hope you enjoyed.

Aloha

Thank you so much for posting those awesome pictures Gecko!

Makes me all verklempt - I want to go back!

R
Rain posted on Sun, Nov 23, 2003 10:10 AM

yeah, thanks gecko. very cool!
i just looked up airfare to the islands and it's like 800+ from here :(

Dems some awsome pics, Braddah Mo'o! They are so clear & crisp! Very Pro! They brought a tear to my eye and a smile to my face. (Actually you might call my smile mo' like a teeth gritting envious grin.) Wishing I wuz there! Aloha! - Shell in the Swell

G

no worries Rain & Shelly, paradise will allways be waiting for you.

Gecko... Incredible pics! The biggest I saw was in '97 when I was on the north shore of Kauai at Hanalei Bay... guys shacked in just about double overhead (measured from the front)

We've got swell on the lakes a lot lately... not 25 foot but decent for here... I had to laugh when you talked about the air temp in the low 70's... we're surfing in 45 degree water right now with 50 degree air temps!

Here's a shot from a week ago at an industrialized spot near Chicago... Pic by my buddy Tom Ward...

Thanks for the stoke Gecko!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-11-24 22:53 ]

[i]On 2003-11-24 22:52, Lake Surfer wrote
(measured from the ront)

Lake-dawg!

I have this heated discussion with my surf buds every so often about wave height.

Who sits behind the break trying to measure the swell as it rolls in before it breaks?

I always judge a wave by waist, shoulder, over-head, or Mutha-F&$#!

I hear ya Bong... I was just covering my ass with wave measurement... the classic discussion... do we measure it from the front (mainland) or from the back (like the islands)

I'm with you though... and that's how we measure the freshies... according to body height!

By the way, check this out... this past Sunday the Lake Superior crew scored big time... Pictures by Vince Deur...

This is sick for a freshwater wave!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-11-25 23:26 ]

Pages: 1 20 replies