Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Munktiki: Behind The Scenes

Pages: 1 12 replies

M

We recently took a road trip up the California coast from San Diego to San Francisco. Along the way we made a few "tiki" stops. The incredibly generous Nielsen family were kind enough to offer us a behind the scenes peek at the inner workings of Munktiki. They also gave us their consent to post these here on TC. There are lots of photos (sorry if it takes awhile to load). Here ya go...enjoy! - ModMana

Paul and Miles, The Munktiki Masters in their shop.

Tiki molds, most with mugs inside.

A few sculpts in progress and test pieces.

Mugs in progress (+ Moai in aquarium).

More mugs in progress.

A few mug mishaps.

Mugs waiting to be glazed.

Mugs in various stages of finish.

And still more mugs...

Glazes used for the mugs.

Glaze spraying booth with a few test pieces.

Shelves full of familiar faces.

Glaze detailing area.

Tiki mug making supplies.

Tiki Oasis 2004 concept in progress.

Huge pink ceramic skull outside the shop.

The warehouse, mugs just prior to shipping.

New stuff, old stuff, ebay stuff...we wanted it all!

Drool...

"Vanities", their ultra hip shop in Carmel.

Thanks Munktiki! :drink:

OK Bay Area folks.....

FIELD TRIP!!

S

Yeeehaw!
Can that be part of the crawl???????
hehehehehe

Damn, that is awesome! Thanks for posting the pics. I woul love to have a set up like that.

T

thanks ModMana. So many mugs...so little time!

OH MY LORD!!!! I need another box of tissue because I can't stop drooling! Geez, I would love to stop in there! Maybe soon...

Well ModMana,
The only thing that would have made this trip the ultimate, was if you had some killer (free) mai tais at Unga Bunga's Bar (only 10 miles away)Take A Video Tour Of Unga’s Tiki Bar. All TCers are invited when they come to the Monterey Penninsula.
Sorry I missed you!

M
  • cynfulcynner wrote:

OK Bay Area folks.....

FIELD TRIP!!

That would be fun.

Enjoyed the pics, some of the best ever of Munktiki. So many people we know have done the "tour" (not us), me thinks Munktiki should start a full-time docent led offering. Akin to what Anchor Steam does.

One of he pics with finished mugs made me laugh. Looks like my bookcases, just on a much larger scale, each mug with a "shipping slip".

I spied a Shecky!

dats some great stuff, i need to get me a munktiki today!

M

On 2003-11-21 22:00, Unga Bunga wrote:
Well ModMana,
The only thing that would have made this trip the ultimate, was if you had some killer (free) mai tais at Unga Bunga's Bar (only 10 miles away)Take A Video Tour Of Unga’s Tiki Bar. All TCers are invited when they come to the Monterey Penninsula.
Sorry I missed you!

We actually spent 3 days in Monterey/Carmel. I wish we could have seen your place in person. Thanks for the offer Unga Bunga!...we willl take you up on it next time. We had taken a laptop computer with us with the intent of meeting up with some TC people along the way. Unfortunately, our modem flaked out on us the first day leaving us with no internet connection. So, we ended up doing the self guided tiki tour of Monterey and SF. I have more photos of other Northern & Central California tiki spots that I'll be posting as I have time.

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, Munktiki is generally not open for tours. If you want to visit the shop or warehouse please make sure you make arrangements with them well in advance. They were so nice and spent more time with us than I would ever have expected. They also seem to genuinely love their craft and are tremendously talented at what they do. It was fun talking tiki with them.

ModMana :drink:

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 2:54 PM

what is happening to these photos.

T

On 2006-10-05 14:54, teaKEY wrote:
what is happening to these photos.

Due to the amount of time that has passed since they were first posted, they have become stratified, just like the sands of the prehistoric ages.

Pages: 1 12 replies