Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay Hawaiian Shirt Sells For $3,335.00!!!

Pages: 1 23 replies

M

Can anyone who collects shirts or knows about them please explain why this is worth so much? Who's got that kind of money to spend on one shirt? That price just blows me away! Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2870567612&category=52393

ModMana :drink:

I bought it cause I needed one to wear when my ShaG Tikiroom sHirt is in the dirty clothes. :o

You have got to be kidding me!!! Man, if you are spending $3000+ for a shirt, you have too much money. Why don't you donate a little money to someone who really needs it? It might give you more personal satisfaction than wearing an old shirt.

Only an idiot would believe that a 1940's shirt has never been worn.

Hmmm...very interesting. The winning bidder has won 7 items from this same seller (and has paid major bucks for his/her stuff). I don't quite get it...

A question to those experienced seamstress's and tailors (PJ, Atomic Cocktail, VintageGirl): Is this design that of the 1940's?

OR

Is it the "Kenny's Mens Shop" label that makes it so expensive?

5-o, if you bought it, good for you!

S
SES posted on Sat, Nov 22, 2003 7:37 AM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 09:03 ]

Ah, he's Japanese, according to his feedback reviews, where I also learned that he bought at least 3 vintage leather jackets (one for $720), and I didn't even read very far down. Lots of yen to spare, I guess.

E

HAR, what a dork this person was! Reminds me of the men's consign shop I walked into the other day where I saw a hoodie on the wall that apparently cost $1200 new - it was going for only $900.

A hoodie, folks! I honestly don't believe you can have too much money...but the CRAP people spend it on will never cease to amaze me. That accusation has often been levelled at collectors, but I do believe there's a big-ass difference between being passionate about something and wanting to surround yourself with it, and buying a rag to drape on your body whose only pupose is to proclaim "I have more money than creativity, brains, or imagination".

Hope it smells like spoiled aftershave and B.O.!

:), em

I'm not seeing that...

Oops. My mistake. I was looking at "hcafwc's" past history with this seller. Even his/her buys were some crazy expenditures, but hey, if that's what makes'em happy, then ok.

S
SES posted on Sat, Nov 22, 2003 8:08 PM

On 2003-11-22 19:32, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Oops. My mistake.

Rats! I thought you had some secret knowledge that I was missing and could enlighten me on the mysteries of ebay...
:wink:

Uhhh Emspace... What's a "Hoodie"?
Aloha,
:tiki:

M

Reminds me of the Shrunken Head shirt that went for some ungodly amount. You never know who this person could be...serious collector, rich person who dug it....could even be someone who buys clothes for movies. I've heard that some wardrobe budgets are sick!

Matt

E

On 2003-11-23 23:35, Tiki Royale wrote:
Uhhh Emspace... What's a "Hoodie"?
Aloha,
:tiki:

]

You know, those sweat tops all the kids wear, with a hood. A couple of yards of sweatshirt fabric with a hood, that's it.

:), em.

What do you suppose a laboring peasant from Guatamala would think of us spending $65 on a Shag tiki mug?

The answer: read any of the above posts about someone paying $3,500+ for the Aloha Shirt.

It's all relative folks (but not in a Jerry Lee Lewis kinda way)

A

I wish I'ld seen it earlier. Maybe I should send the seller an e-mail with a higher bid.

Bong - After reading your remarks, I've decided I'm going to donate all my mugs to Guatemalan peasants so they can live the good life. All these years I've been sending cash. What a waste!
A

On 2003-11-24 13:29, Andrew wrote:
Bong - After reading your remarks, I've decided I'm going to donate all my mugs to Guatemalan peasants so they can live the good life. All these years I've been sending cash. What a waste!

Well, that's not exactly how the analogy goes. Did you go to Magnolia High in Anaheim?

M

On 2003-11-24 11:14, Tiki_Bong wrote:
What do you suppose a laboring peasant from Guatamala would think of us spending $65 on a Shag tiki mug?

Especially since it's Guatemalan peasants who make Shag tiki mugs!

A

Did you go to Magnolia High in Anaheim?

No, I only moved to Anaheim 3 years ago to take advantage of the craftsman bungalows hiding here. I really had no knowledge of Anaheim (except for going to the hawaiiana exhibit at the Anaheim Musuem and Disneyland) before we moved here. After looking for a house in Long Beach, Orange, and Fullerton we discovered Anaheim had a plethora of really cool old homes. I'm rambling, I'll shut up now.
A

edited to preserve speeling

[ Edited by: Andrew on 2003-11-24 15:03 ]

A

Wow, I had no idea Holden was Guatemalan. You learn something new every day!
A

Andrew,

I'm familiar with the area you probably live in. Indeed, there are some very cool homes there. The guitarist for the Fabulous Thunderbirds lives in the neighborhood.

I moved to Disneyland, the home of Anaheim, in 1968 as a wee lad. Got kicked out of Disneyland, the home of Anaheim, in 1981. Mickey told me he hates me...

M

On 2003-11-24 15:01, Andrew wrote:

A

That was just a gentle dig at ol' Holden. His mugs are made in Mexico.

?

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2003-11-24 22:00 ]

A

Andrew,

I'm familiar with the area you probably live in. Indeed, there are some very cool homes there. The guitarist for the Fabulous Thunderbirds lives in the neighborhood.

I moved to Disneyland, the home of Anaheim, in 1968 as a wee lad. Got kicked out of Disneyland, the home of Anaheim, in 1981. Mickey told me he hates me...

Mickey only says that if he really likes you! You should hear what he says to the people who complain about the ash from the fireworks.

Disney is one of the main sponsors of our annual historic home tour so I think I'm legally obligated to not complain about them too much. Actually, I have to get all e-mail approved by them.

I live in the Anaheim Colony which is bordered by North, South, East, and West streets and includes the downtown, but not Disney. Kid Ramos does indeed live near me, but I think he's doing solo stuff now and not playing with the FTs anymore.
A

Quote:

On 2003-11-24 15:01, Andrew wrote:
Quote:

A

That was just a gentle dig at ol' Holden. His mugs are made in Mexico.

Wow, I had no idea Holden was Mexican! You learn something new every day.
A2

Pages: 1 23 replies