Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

misc

Pages: 1 19 replies

[ Edited by: tikichump on 2005-04-13 11:18 ]

K

What are you in for Tikichump?

I almost went to the pen for 1st degree murder. But when the jury heard I strangled my husband for trying to hold a beauty pageant, it was ruled justifiable homicide.

On 2003-11-24 18:50, tikichump wrote:
All of the tiki's in my cell are fabricated from bars of soap.

Do the gods protect you when you bend over to pick up the soap?

Maybe if you write a state official a letter everyday, the warden may let you throw a luau for your fellow inmates! I saw something similar work in a movie once.

Another fun activity to while away the time would be to commandeer the intercom system & play some Martin Denny or Les Baxter (let me know if you need some copies).

Yours in solidarity,
Tiki Chris

c'mon guys cut him some slack.
He may or may not be in jail and if he is, then there's probably a good reason why.
We are all brothers and sisters here.
True I like a good prison joke, this guy has come to us to be one of us.

If he's a joker, then I guess I have egg on my face.

So, Chump, what inspried you to get into tiki? Waht was the lure for you?

Mo-Holler.

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2003-11-25 07:24 ]

[ Edited by: tikichump on 2005-04-13 11:16 ]

Tikichump,

I'm usally one to take a cheap pot-shot, but if you're situation is as you state, welcome aboard.

(are you in the Aryan Brotherhood?)

Welcome aboard!

M

Aloha and welcome. What's the situation like for internet access at Soledad? How much can you look and do they restrict sites?

Try to get a copy of "The Book Of Tiki" if you haven't already. You'll like it.

K

Tikichump, if your post was not a joke I'm sorry I tried to make you the butt of one. If you're really in the joint I owe you a carton of squares by way of apology.

Are you a trustee? Just wondering what sharp instrument you're using to carve the tikis? If you can't trust a trustee, then who can you trust?

[ Edited by: tikichump on 2005-04-13 11:15 ]

M
  • tikichump wrote:
    Sharp objects are a no no here so no proper tools for carving....

Web Access is somewhat limited and the hours are restricted too. *

Hey chump,
Neat story, just a swell tale. Really.

One small problem though:

Frank Clement vs. the California Department of Corrections

Soledad? I'd have gone with Folsom.
midnite

On 2003-11-25 17:09, midnite_tiki wrote:
One small problem though:

Frank Clement vs. the California Department of Corrections

Details, please!

M
  • details? *

Well, I am not incarcerated, only a member of the CA Bar. Perhaps the inmate could fill us ALL in on just how limited web access is for those in the custody of the Dept of Corrections. I mean, it's **limited **, like really limited.

Let's just say Mr Clement of Pelican Bay ain't Google-ing much. Well, in the information superhighway sense he ain't. Still, I'd rather let the chump explain.

midnite

M

This is what midnite is on about:

The Pelican Bay State Prison Web page of the California Department of Corrections Web site boasts cabinetry, graphic arts and dry cleaning among the vocational "personal growth opportunities" available to inmates.

The site gives directions to the maximum-security facility in the northwest corner of California, announces visiting hours and touts the "innovative and collaborative environment" that the joint offers to the "state's most serious criminal offenders in a secure, safe and disciplined institutional setting."

This mix of useful info larded with correctional boosterism wouldn't be especially noteworthy, except for the way it's delivered online. Because Pelican Bay Prison administrators officially take a suspicious view of the Internet.

Even as the California Department of Corrections exploits the Web as a great way to brag to the not-currently incarcerated public at large about all its prisons have to offer, the state is maintaining that prison officials should be allowed to ban all materials downloaded from the Net, including e-mail, from reaching inmates.

California prisoners don't have Internet access, but they are allowed to receive regular mail. So what the state is saying, essentially, is that prisoners are not allowed snail mail that contains printouts of information from Internet sites or e-mail messages. It's a seemingly ludicrous position, ostensibly based on the premise that the Internet makes accessing information so easy that prisons are about to be overwhelmed by a flood of physical mail containing Web-page tidbits.

More than that, prison officials won't say, which leads outside experts to speculate that maybe they're keeping mum as to the real reason for the attempted crackdown on all things Net-related. Maybe the real problem, they suggest, is the proliferation of "prison pen pal sites" -- a kind of online dating service for incarcerated felons.

So far, the courts haven't agreed with the state of California. In September 2002, a district court judge, Claudia Walkin, ruled that in the case of Frank Clement vs. the California Department of Corrections, the Pelican Bay policy should be thrown out on First Amendment grounds. She also barred the California Department of Corrections from "enforcing any policy prohibiting California inmates from receiving mail that contains Internet-generated information." That ruling effectively struck down similar policies in other California prisons.

The California state attorney general is fighting to keep the ban, and has appealed the decision. The attorney general argues that prison officials can restrict the constitutional rights of prisoners, including their First Amendment rights, if it serves a "legitimate penological interest." The state maintains that banning Web page and e-mail printouts does serve a legitimate purpose, charging that such information could compromise security, and that allowing Internet printouts to be sent into prisons would overwhelm already strapped mailroom workers with sheer volume.

Not sure if this means there is access granted while the ruling is being appealed. But midnite is an attorney, so I defer to him.....

Hmmm...some contoversy here. Also- there is no Soledad State prison. There are two prisons in Soledad, SVSP and CTF. Can you clarify, tikichump?

Book Of Tiki is a coffee table book with history and images, and I can't imagine why any CDC offical would have a problem with you having it.

I'll give tikichump the benefit of the doubt since it would be bizarre, pathetic, and deranged to pretend to be incarcerated.

me thinks tikichump might be trying to make a chump out us all...or chimps.

Just think, it's possibly his way of breaking the ice, being a joker, a plubis enigma.

damn why didn't think of that when i joined!!

Mo-Holler.

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2003-11-25 18:25 ]

[ Edited by: tikichump on 2005-04-13 11:15 ]

heh, you'll never get me to say it.

i like this guy, lets keep him.

besides you'd have to either ping his server or trace the email addy so see if he is or isn't in prison.

but one would figer one inmate could have random access during the day, just check his time stamps.

yay i solved the enigma, now to send my awnser to "old pink, care of the funny farm".

"YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIIIIiiiii...."

Mo-Holler.

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2003-11-25 19:10 ]

What's it like to have access to so many bars in such a small area?
Do you drink a lot?

T

I give him the benefit of the doubt. Even if he isn't who cares?

If he really is in prison, there's a good
chance of someday meeting tikibong in person!

Pages: 1 19 replies