Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Ladies and Gentlemen, a postcard has broken the 100.00 mark.

Pages: 1 26 replies

DZ

DAMN!!! Sabu, when you said you wanted that postcard, I guess you really wanted that postcard!!

A small fortune, but an absolutely beautiful postcard nonetheless. Can't wait to see it in person - Congrats!

Ahhhhh...Sabu's e-bay identity revealed. I'm jealous of that rating...we're only at 750.

On 2003-11-26 10:08, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Ahhhhh...Sabu's e-bay identity revealed.

Sabu,
I believe you have a few of the cards I wanted. I believe I have a few of the cards you wanted. Far fewer, unfortunately.
KG

The tiki postcard market has really taken off on eBay over the last year or so. I don't pick up many cards there anymore, they are all becoming pretty expensive. Ocassionally I can pick one up if it slips by unnoticed (very unlikely) or use the Buy It Now function if it is available.

Now I find myself picking up most of my collection at the 2 paper and postcard shows here in the Denver area every year. I have been going for the last several years, and now a few of the regular sellers are even looking for tiki postcards and holding them for me until the next show (saves me from looking through all of their cards each time).

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo on 2003-11-26 12:33 ]

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Nov 26, 2003 4:09 PM

Sabu is DA BIG KAHUNA of tiki postcards! If you haven't seen his collection...HO!!! you been missin' out!

another great card to the collection. Congrats!!

aloha

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Nov 26, 2003 4:13 PM

oh! when does da book of tiki post cards come out Sabu?

Damn, BK. Why ya have to go and embarass me like that? Yeah, sure I like to brag when I find a bargain, but boy do I get quiet when I have to pay over a hundred for a little piece of cardboard.

Seriously, though. I seldom fight that hard for a postcard - this is way out of my league, and the Wildwood, New Jersey collectors are even more fanatic than tiki collectors - but it was just about one of the most beautifully composed tiki images I've ever seen.

The colors are perfect, as is the composition. Just look at those trees, the frong-end of that car, and the shadows of the sign on the ground. All just perfect.

If I hadn't had such a successful few weeks selling on e-bay lately, I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

BTW, the Tahiti Motel in Wildwood, NJ is still operating, according to its website and still has the same sign. Has anyone been there lately?

I really get my kicks out of finding the bargains, though. I just picked up this lot of postcards for a song, because the seller had misspelled "Bali Hai". I've been outbid repeatedly on this postcard, as they usually go for over $30:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2204716337

That bargain kinda made up for the beating I took on that Tahiti postcard.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2003-11-26 16:30 ]

Oh, yeah..I've seen that one. The impostor Bali Hai! There is also an impostor Mai Kai in Massachusetts...I have a matchbook for it somewhere. Cool.

S

Imposter?

The Bali Ha'i in the picture above was at Ponchartrain beach in New Orleans. kohalacharms recently paid 60.00 for that postcard........

PS All those postcards are of New Orleans.

"Oh, Oliver. Oliver, how could I have been so careless? I should have covered the entrance to the cave better. Those children are going to ruin everything. I've got to get rid of them." Professor Whitehead 10/6/72 Brady Bunch "Tiki Caves"

[ Edited by: suzywong on 2003-11-26 17:48 ]

F

60 clams for the balihai at ponchartrain card?

that thing comes up every 2 months...!

Sabu,

How about a peek at that postcard.

DC

I would also like to see the vintage chrome postcard worthy of shelling out 100 clams!!
Come forth Sabu .

I saw it, I saw it!

It's on page 302 of Tiki Modern.

Sabu described it to me at Bamboo Ben's Nooner and I was just flipping through the back of the book the other night and BAM, there it was.

DC

That's the one!

Still the most I've ever paid for a postcard. Ironically it wasn't the Tiki collectors who bid it up that high. It was the Wildwood NJ collectors. They're even more rabid than tiki aficionados. I'll try to post a new scan.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-05-28 21:07 ]

Dont have that book DC .Can someone post a pic , you guys are killing me .

H

On 2009-05-29 00:43, 1961surf wrote:
Dont have that book DC ...

Huh? Go buy a copy right now! It's well worth it.
http://www.amazon.com/Tiki-Modern-Sven-Kirsten/dp/3822847178/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243607609&sr=8-1

Sabu - I have a scan version at hand, here it is...

Your'e kidding me right.It is a cool postcard, but why the high dig?
Are they just super hard to find or what ???
Thanks Zulu Magoo for someone finally posting a pic.

Wildwood...hey that's my neck of the woods! I'm about an hour and a half north of there. I have a pic of it somewhere around here from when I traveled through a few years ago with my wife. Wildwood is weird, that's all i have to say. South jersey is also very strange, something in the drinking water. Anyway it doesn't look quite like that anymore :(
I'll post the pic when I find it Sabu, nice score!

I looked through my Tiki files and all i could find for you Sabu was this more recent pic that Tim Owen took. It's from the House ind. magazine Issue #1, page 22. They did an entire article on the Googie motels of Wildwood, very cool. My scanner is broken so I had to take a couple pics of the Tahiti article photos, sorry for the quality...enjoy!

Cost aside,pretty darn kool postcard!

There are still a few buyers out there that crank the prices up to the $60 to $70 range for hard to come by cards.

Here is the $3 version of the Tahiti card that I have.

DC

Both are in Tiki Modern. :)

S

I've seen a Don the Beachcomber for for $125.

Which one? Don postcards seem so common nowadays. And how about those Don/ Covarrubias map menus: I remember when that menu was one of the rarest, hard-to-find things to come across. But in e-bay times, there were periods when there were 3 or 4 of those up there at the same time!

On 2009-06-11 07:44, bigbrotiki wrote:
Which one? Don postcards seem so common nowadays.

I bet it was these.

DC

Pages: 1 26 replies