Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Collecting Hawaii Kai tiki items...

Pages: 1 15 replies

Hi folks,

I am new to the site and am a collector of memorabilia from the former "Hawaii Kai" in New York City. (I live in Manhattan)

I've made a few puchases on E-bay and my collection is not very large but I would like to find out all that is available.

Is anyone out there that is willing to sell or knows where (in addition to E-bay) I may find "Hawaii Kai" items?

I would also just like to know what all of the items are, that is, types of mugs, ashtrays, postcards, etc.

Many thanks for your help and let me know if you are in New York City. I like to meet with fellow tiki collectors.

Mahalo,

Alan

M

Greetings,
Welcome to Tiki Central.

I think Hawaii Kai had as many type mugs as any other Polynesian restaurants, on par with The Islander in Stockton CA. Great variety I can think of maybe a dozen of the top of my head. Some are seen on ebay often, but a few less common versions always get the bidding going. Do a search here in Collecting for a recent thread involving a tiki bowl (Sabu?). There were a few pics from a Hawaii Kai cocktail menu.

I've seen mugs, matchbooks, drink umbrellas, coasters, matchbooks, menu, postcards, plates and assorted dinnerware. Sold and traded a bunch of items, have a few around now. Trading is always fun, put out the word, maybe a fellow TC'er will have some things you're seeking.

Other TC members will know much more than I. There are many NYC members as well.

midnite

Hi, Alan...I have some extra bamboo swizzles from the Hawaii Kai. I'd gladly swap you for something if you like.

Here are some of the mugs.

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2003-11-27 22:12 ]

Think I have that green jobbie at the bottom....Need the screamer.

M

Aloha Alan, here are a few more pics...

Alan,

Here's one of the more unusual Hawaii Kai items I've found. This is a drink card, made to stand partially open on a table. It has the same image on both sides. I bet there are other versions of these out there.

Has anyone else heard of these drinks being served aflame, as pictured on the card?

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2005-03-29 23:11 ]

TC

this summer i got a hawaii kai moai mug at waldorf hysteria on ave b (?). they had another. i think donhonyc was the tcer who mentioned they had the mugs there. he may know more.

good luck, keep us posted.

it's great to have one more from the nyc area on board!

aloha,
tiki chris

DZ

I've got one of the skull mugs that ModMana posted, 'cept mine says "Goddess Of Love" accross the forehead, not "Hawaii Kai". But, I don't get the connection: 'Goddess Of Love' on a skull??

And what about "If you are over 52, forget it" - huh? 51 is ok, but 52 isn't? Who came up with that number?

If I'm not misataken, the Hawaii Kai is the only locale that used mugs made by "Jard Products" - veeeeeeeerrrrry similar to OMC, from the basic designs, all the way down to their JPI diamond-shaped gold label. Is this correct?

M

And what about "If you are over 52, forget it" - huh? 51 is ok, but 52 isn't? Who came up with that number?

maybe they meant that if you slipped by the allocated two drinks and actually drank 51, they wouldn't give you the 52nd drink...

Here is another mug from the Hawaii Kai. We picked this up in Terre Haute, IN.

A

Thanks SallyandJay....

I was able to get that one on E bay a few months ago.... He's a handsome looking mug..

M

On 2003-12-09 13:39, Doctor Z wrote:
If I'm not misataken, the Hawaii Kai is the only locale that used mugs made by "Jard Products" - veeeeeeeerrrrry similar to OMC, from the basic designs, all the way down to their JPI diamond-shaped gold label. Is this correct?

I've always suspected that Jard (JPI) and Otagiri (OMC) were the "same" company. Hawaii Kai used both JPI and OMC mugs. I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows the story of these two companies.

ModMana :drink:

Sigh- The OMC enigma! Still, after all these years, no one has come up with any info on this most pervasive of mug manufacturers. Even my contacts in Japan couldn't dig up anything so far.

Another fine item for your Hawaii Kai collection would be the Hawaii Kai cook book, don't own one myself, my pal the Beachbum does.

On 2003-12-12 14:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sigh- The OMC enigma! Still, after all these years, no one has come up with any info on this most pervasive of mug manufacturers. Even my contacts in Japan couldn't dig up anything so far.

perhaps we should airdrop the three Special Tiki Central Agents into Japan and have them collect Ceramics Intelligence.

Poly-Pop's mug will self-destruct in 5 seconds

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2003-12-12 14:37 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies