Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

happy birthday Sweet Daddy Tiki!!!

Pages: 1 8 replies

E

My homeboy Sweet Daddy Tiki turned...well, I'm too much of a gentleman to say...today! He has been a great pal of late, helping me reminisce and gain greater knowledge of our town's 1963-1980 Tiki mecca the Beachcomber Polynesian Restaurant, and just a good friend all round. Those of you drinking, how about a toast to this cool Canadian Tiki-head!

aloha,
emspace.

Happy B-Day Sweet Daddy!

Thanks for the birthday greetings em & B.K. It's okay, em, you can say it -- I'm 47. I'm thrilled because I was sure this was birthday 48. Celebrated with friends at the Tropika. Most everyone wore tropical attire (including pith helmet). em, I drank a scorpion on your behalf and shared in a communal bahia in a rum barrel and then used my arm-length straw to sample everyone else's drinks. The food (Malaysian) was outstanding as always. I really cleaned up in the loot department: Tiki Road Trip (yay!), a House Industries "Aku Aku" (Moai) t-shirt, a very swank 1960's battery operated chrome "Swizzle Power Mixer" (because it's so tiring to have to swizzle one's drink manually), The Savoy Cocktail Book (1976 reprint of a 1930 recipe book), a Jackie Mittoo CD, homemade wine, Girl Guide cookies, & some other stuff. A fine evening, indeed. Pictures coming as soon as I have 'em.

E

Right on SDT! Jackie Mittoo? Didn't know you were a Jamaica kind of guy, that's great! I have been working (forever) on a remake of a calypso/mento tune I wrote for Mrs. emspace's b-day long ago, with very poppy Hammond organ that might remind you of him.

Sounds like a very fun night, a big cheers to you and hope the hangover isn't too killing.

:)
em.

Happy B-day Sweetness!

Happy Birthday!

I'm glad to see that someone finally bought crap for you!

-Z

On 2003-11-29 10:26, emspace wrote:
a big cheers to you and hope the hangover isn't too killing.

No hangover, dammit. Somehow i didn't get in as much drinking as I was planning -- never had the Mai Tai and Suffering Bastard I wanted (and I even had a designated driver). Oh well, another time.

Mahalo everyone for your birthday well-wishes.

Hey SDT,

Happy Birthday! If I had known, I would've toasted you as I was out celebrating another friend's birthday last night.

You're birthday proved to be a lucky day for me, as I had good luck finding about 5 tiki things at the thrift stores yesterday!

-Slacks

On 2003-11-29 16:32, Slacks Ferret wrote:
You're birthday proved to be a lucky day for me, as I had good luck finding about 5 tiki things at the thrift stores yesterday!

Glad to hear it. Last year on my birthday I had one of my best ever record scores at Goodwill. It was like my favorite daydream -- I'm going through the record bins when a worker wheels out a shopping cart of LPs in near-new condition (some factory sealed) and it's full of stuff I want -- Sammy Davis Jr., Peggy Lee, Mel Torme, Quincy Jones, Walker Bros., Scott Walker, Mitch Ryder, Perez Prado, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, weird 60's rock groups from Quebec... Then she wheels out another cart... and another... and so on. I bought almost 50 LPs, 50ยข each. I was hoping for a repeat this year, but nothing.

Pages: 1 8 replies