Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Value of 50's Velvet Painting - take a look

Pages: 1 16 replies

I had intended to list this item on Ebay but when I contacted a collector for history or info. they want me to sell it to them. I want to be fair but don't want to cheat myself either.

Painting looks to be from 50's or early 60's because address has no zip code. Measures 24 x 28 with bamboo frame. Legends on back and artist signature on front "Allin" Hawaii. Please take a look at the photos and give me your opinions. Mahalo nui loa

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/babydumplin/hawaiian.JPG

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/babydumplin/legend_1.JPG

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/babydumplin/legend_2.JPG

[ Edited by: babydumplin on 2003-11-29 16:42 ]

Sure...appraisals are 27.00 an hour with a two hour minimum. Do you want to pay via paypal?

Thanks for the offer Basement Kahuna but I'll have to pass - the picture may not even be worth the lst hr. minimum. Sorry if readers think I want an appraisal - I simply don't know if I have trash or treasure. My lst instinct was to list on auction but the collector was so nice to offer me info & expressed an interest in having the piece for their collection. I thought the polite thing to do would be to make a reasonable offer. Maybe I should just put the ball in her court and tell her to make me an offer.

I actually like the fun and anticipation of a good auction anyway. So if her offer isn't tempting I'll just go ahead and list it.

Maybe what I should have asked in my lst post is "do you think this is good Ebay potential?"

Baby, I'm not seeing anything from the link and don't find anything except 21 pics from your photo album on Photobucket. Can you double check the link?

Ok Sugar - I've put the pictures back and you should be able to view them now. Thanks.

E

I wold hang this puppy prominently in my restaurant - if I owned a restaurant. 'Swonderful!

em.

Why would you want to get rid of such a fine piece of Hawaiiana? Do you like Hawaiiana or are you here to advertise the piece? I'll give ya a buck fifty for it.

Nope, not here for an appraisal or advertisement. Just for opinions as to whether it's a common piece or a good Hawaiiana collectible.

Personally, I think she's beautiful but I don't collect and don't have a tiki room, if I did I'd be keeping her. If I knew about Hawaiiana I wouldn't have needed opinions but I've tried researching on my own and just couldn't find many velvets other than Leeteg or Hawaiian scenes.

I was hoping some of you tiki collectors might enjoy seeing her and in turn offer me your more educated history on these pieces and their desirable quality.

Baby, Darling..

An item such as this is more apt to be valued by what someone is willing to pay for it then a set "book price", so it's really subjective. It has merit with an attractive theme, nice frame, signature, etc.

At auction you could expect a wide range of prices depending on who happened to be shopping at that time. It's just one of those things that could sell for $45 or $145 (for example). eBay auctions are not known for consistency.

The painting is nice and would definitely make many a tiki collector happy to own, but it isn't the Holy Grail of Polynesia, so don't worry about making a mistake and selling it too cheaply.

I recommend asking her what she thinks is a fair price. Then go from there. Leave another post with the offer, counter-offer or list it on ebay and just let it roll.

If all else fails, I'll give you $3.50 for it. :)

Very nice painting! Do the water stains on the back go all the way through the painting itself on the front? In the picture I can see a few visible vertical lines and what looks to be some "bubbling" on the bottom right hand side. Is it just the photo or on the actual painting?

If all else fails, I'll give you $3.50 for it.

$3.75

If I were you, I'd put it up on ebay and if your buyer really wants it, then you'll see what its really worth to them.

T

I think it's really cool. Something about her cheezy smile that makes the picture! Sadly, I'm not buying right now, just selling stuff... unless the price is right!

(Do I hear Bob Barker saying come on down?)

M

Her smile is a bit "Florida Tiki" like. I'd take the offer.

Try and get a hold of Larry Reid or Charles Krafft . They are big velvet painting fans from Seattle and would be a good place to start.
LEETEG OF TAHITI: PAINTINGS FROM THE VILLA VELOUR
by John Turner, Martin Denny, Greg Escalante, Charles Krafft, et al.
(Last Gasp) $29.95

William Edgar Leeteg was the inventor of black velvet painting as we know it, but don't hold that against him. Leeteg was an American original. His prolific velvet legacy of lusty island ladies helped create a post-war perception of South Pacific decadence, and influenced the image of the American male of the era.

An ambitious new book, Leeteg of Tahiti, attempts to lift the apocryphal haze surrounding the artist and shed new light on both his life and life's work. Leeteg created nearly 1,700 velvet paintings in a career cut short in 1953 by a fatal crash on a Harley Davidson, at the age of 49. His pictures would fetch up to $10,000 each -- a princely sum in those days -- and at the height of his career he would produce a painting every four days. He gained a reputation as "the American Gauguin," but steadfastly disdained the art world. "Please don't bother submitting my work to art societies or museums," he instructed his equally colorful art dealer Barney Davis, "as I hold them long-haired bastards in contempt. Leave them to plug their own darling daubers. They're just cheap four-flushers in frock coats."

The book opens with an entertaining introduction by Martin Denny, before moving to a somewhat tortured history of velvet painting. The highlight is a biographical essay by Seattle artist and raconteur Charles Krafft, whose tireless efforts to revive the Leeteg legend have been rewarded with this handsome edition. Leeteg of Tahiti is required reading for anyone interested in lowbrow art and the development of popular culture in the last half of this century. LARRY REID

TL

Well, Baby, if you do put it up on eBay, I will DEFINATELY bid well on it!

Please post a reply to let us know when ya do put it up!

Pages: 1 16 replies