Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Honest opinions

Pages: 1 15 replies

I have never posted any of my paintings here before. But, here it goes. I'm looking
for honest opinions from others than my brother and friends. Honest but nice.
Anything that will help will be great. Thanks a bunch.

By the way the quality of the pic is really crappy.

[ Edited by: pentaclegoddess on 2003-11-29 20:25 ]

Very cool stuff...reminds me of classic (golden age) tatoo art a little, which I have always loved. Neato!

You seem to do very well with landscapes and botanicals. I particularly like "Pagan Fest" on your website, and "Green Man" and "Gypsy Amulet". Would like to see more along the lines of the one you posted.

oh so my opinion doesnt Kount no more? das kool....no, too late, you already said it .I see how it is.."Kreeper of the tiki" Jaksin

Thanks every one for the positive input. I really want to know if there is anything that I should work on. My brother tells it like it is. I still can use some input from TC people.

Come on don't cry.lol You know what I mean. And I still ask you any ways. You are always the first one I ask.

S
SES posted on Sun, Nov 30, 2003 3:22 PM

I like it.
Does have the forties flash feel.
One tip that helped me out the most was to always paint with the light coming from either the upper left or upper right corner. Once you start to do that it makes placing the shadows and highlights so obvious and easy. If you study old portraits and paintings in museums you can see that technique used often.

M

nice piece - - how big is it?
it reminds me of tattoo flash too, in a good way - olivia too, in the transparent hose and such . .
my only note, i like the way on her front half, she clearly overlaps the flowers. on her back it looks a little timid.. that is, the flowers are sorta behind her, but their edges are aparent, and it creates a kinda odd tension. it also generates a few tangents, which are my personal nemesis. i wouldn't mind if they were "cheated" a bit to go fully under her like the flowers in front. i feel like it would help her silhouette a bit more, and draw attention to her face.
i like her expression,btw, it looks genuine.

keep on truckin' and post more!

Ok I made some changes.

M

I love it! Do you have more? Miami? Couple/few of us going to Mai Kai for happy hour Saturday.

On 2003-12-02 20:26, McDougall wrote:
I love it! Do you have more? Miami? Couple/few of us going to Mai Kai for happy hour Saturday.

Glad to know you like it so much. Yes, I'm from Miami but right now I'm in Clarksville TN. No right now I don't have more. This is the first painting I've worked on after the Hukilau 2003.
Hope you guys have lots of fun its great over there.

Thanks again
Blessings pentaclegoddess

Looks good, trust Meowdy's advice, the boy can paint! PG no more Berlin?

On 2003-12-02 22:51, thechikitiki wrote:
Looks good, trust Meowdy's advice, the boy can paint! PG no more Berlin?

Thanks chikitiki
I totally got what he was talking about. Its true what he said. After he pointed it out for me I had to fix it. Im glad I posted the pic.

No I'm not in Germany any more. They send my hubby to Iraq so I took of to Miami. Worked with my bro and finally got to go to the Hukilau. I was dying to go. Sold some paintings and some ceramic kreepytiki oil infucers. Best of all got to meet so many nice people and had lost of fun.

T

That is great. What kind of paint are you using? I am also an aficionado of the 'outlining everything in balck' school. But our stuff looks very different.

Me like.

Tell us more!

On 2003-12-03 00:02, tikifish wrote:
That is great. What kind of paint are you using? I am also an aficionado of the 'outlining everything in balck' school. But our stuff looks very different.

Me like.

Tell us more!

Hello tikifish

Glad you like :D

It depends how I feel when Im painting. I dont always do the black outline. I sure like how it looks. I normally work on a streched canvas. Right now I used a canvas panel. And basic acrylic paints. I normally give the paintings a clear coat. But, I wait after I get a good pic of it. Don't want to get glare in the pic.

Nothing out of this world. lol

M
meowdy posted on Wed, Dec 3, 2003 5:16 PM

looks sweet! you did that fix fast and seamlessly -- nice one!
acrylic is a weird medium for me, i find it feels kinda slimy on my brush . .most of my stuff is gouache or watercolor.. sometimes cel vinyl, but it tears apart brushes so brutally i use it sparangly --

anyhow, keep goin' -- can't wait to see the next ones --

Hi guys I want to thank you all. Here is the finish work.

Pages: 1 15 replies