Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Christmas Music - Lets Put the X Back in Xmas!

Pages: 1 20 replies

Sorry for the salacious nature of the Subject Line, but... What are you tiki freaks playin' in your tiki lounges during the holidays? I tend to lean in the directions of Dean Martin, Arthur Lyman, The Tryfles, Lonesome Hinson, Los Straitjackets and Southern Culture on the Skids. Anyone out there have any other suggestions?

How about Dave Saville & the Three Chipmunks, Bing Crosby, Peggy Lee and Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen "Daddy's Drinkin' Up Our Christmas" (always a big favorite at my Xmas party)

what is listed above is what I'll be playing in my bar this season (and every season). But I have to say I found a CD last year in all places: xmas music bargan bin at walmart.
It's called: Martinis & Mistletoe

It set me back about $5 and I think they had more. Here's a link to the CD info with cover art: http://listen.artistdirect.com/store/artist/album/0,,1721225,00.html

K
Klas posted on Sun, Nov 30, 2003 1:24 AM

Just won this CD on eBay. Hopefully it arrives in time :)

K
Klas posted on Sun, Nov 30, 2003 1:35 AM

For anyone into 60's garage rock, I can really recommend the Sonics/Wailers/Galaxies "Merry Christmas" album.

'Christmas on the Big Island' by the Blue Hawaiians is fantastic, every song is great. It is almost as good as the Ventures Christmas album (my favorite xmas cd).

J
JTD posted on Mon, Dec 1, 2003 12:42 PM

I'll second Unkle John on Martinis & Mistletoe. In fact, we're turning the house upside down trying to find where we put it away last year (no doubt for "safe keeping").

Also, Ultra Lounge has volume 1 & 2 of Christmas tunes. Just ordered them, so I haven't heard 'em yet, but if they're on a par with others in the Ultra Launge series, they'll be very good.

On 2003-11-30 14:37, ZuluMagoo wrote:
'Christmas on the Big Island' by the Blue Hawaiians is fantastic, every song is great. It is almost as good as the Ventures Christmas album (my favorite xmas cd).

I bought the Ventures Christmas lp awhile back and just played it for the first time on Thanksgiving. Man, that's a great album. I know why you call it your favorite.

I also have a Christmas lp by Webley Edwards & "Hawaii Calls". It was issued by Hula Records. I haven't played it yet. Gotta save something for later.

Also, I wish I had Don Ho's Christmas album. Somebody mentioned that lp last year and said it was primo.
KG

TC

Vince Guaraldi's soundtrack for A Charlie Brown Christmas is excellent.

Arthur Lyman's With a Christmas Vibe is really nice too.

It's not Tiki, but my all-time favorite christmas album is the soundtrack from "A Charlie Brown Christmas".
It's all warm and fuzzy like...
Aloha,
:tiki:

S

Brian Setzer's Xmas album!

Also La Vey Smith included an nice Xmas tune as the last track on her Miss Thing album.

Xmas with Eddie G. is hard to find, but well worth it.

D
davew posted on Mon, Dec 1, 2003 9:24 PM

dolomite is the man to put the x or xxx in x mas.myself,i happen to love x mas with a big band or lounge flavor to it.-------------------dave from jersey

I'm a big fan of the song "Nothin' For Christmas" by Eartha Kitt.

The churus goes something like this:

"I'm getting nothin' for Christmas,
Poor little Eartha is sad,
I'm getting nothin' for Christmas,
'Cuz I didn't want to be bad"

B

If it's a lounge Christmas try......

Jaymz Bee & The Royal Jelly Orchestra-A Christmas Cocktail.......or.....

The Yuletide Lounge Band-Holiday Dinner...
smooth Christmas favorites for entertaining

"Sit down at a table at the Tiki Swing Lounge and feast on holiday treats. Smooth sounds conjure images of a time when lipstick soaked cigarettes competed with tiny paper umbrellas to grace fingertips"

It's not Tiki....but Dean Martin's CD Making Spirits Bright is the the best Christmas Album ever..

Klas..that ebay purchase looks the business

James Brown: Santa's got a Brand New Bag

Clarence Carter: Backdoor Santa

It's not exactly Lounge, but my favorite christmas album is Ren & Stimpy's "Crock O' Christmas." Used sparingly it adds a little sparkle to Christmas, used unmercifully it can remove the most entrenched holiday guest.

TC

first of all, thanks to the folks who recommended mr. martin's MAKING SPIRITS BRIGHT. great album!

second of all i'd like to recommend jackie gleason's MERRY CHRISTMAS. but rather than describe it myself. here's a bit of the liner notes:

"The mood is soft with the glow of Christmas lights seen through a snowfall ...

"The melodies are familiar ones, but their settings most certainly not, for even JINGLE BELLS emerges as a lovely, almost haunting thing in the hands of Jackie Gleason ...

"the arrangements in this album are unique ones, for Jackie Gleason has augmented his large orchestra with an electric celeste, whose fragile sound adds a new dimension to songs well-loved. Playing it is Hercules, an outstanding master of the instrument ..."

Hercules? & Zena the Warrior Princess is on the timpani. Anyway, this is about as sonically rich as a christmas album (& pop music) can be. it's brillant. & sets a truly unique tone. it was the perfect album for the past couple of snowy (snowed in) nights.

oh & i really think this one's meant to be played on vinyl!

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-12-08 06:53 ]

Just going thru my holiday albums, and I'd have to recommend Squirrel Nut Zippers Christmas Caravan.......

Phil Spectors Christmas Album is always a classic

S
Skip posted on Sun, Dec 21, 2003 10:55 PM

This is a great one

Ultralounge Christmas Cocktails

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2272934

That or vol 2. I think I read you can even purchase and then download from this site. Not sure but you guys sound like you are listening to some good stuff.

Merry Christmas from the new guy.

Skip

Pages: 1 20 replies