Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Hey! Ho! Let's Go! 'Joey Ramone Place' unveiled

Pages: 1 7 replies

I'm happy to have been there today! The City of New York now officially recognizes the corner of Bowery and East 2nd St. in the East Village as JOEY RAMONE PLACE! Today was the unveiling of the street sign that bears Joey's name a block north of CBGB. This is also the same area where the Ramones loft was located when they started their illustrious trek through the hallowed halls of rock! This is great news for Ramones fans and rock fans at large.

Joey is missed! I used to see him somewhat regularly hanging around the 'hood and in clubs here and there. One of the last times I saw him in person was when he made a surprise appearance with Dee Dee and Marky when they had the Ramones 'cover' band, 'The Ramainz'. Yes...Dee Dee, Marky, DeeDee's wife and another guitarist doing all Ramones songs. Joey came up onstage to join them. A great night and a great memory of Joey AND Dee Dee.

God bless Joey. God bless Dee Dee. God bless THE RAMONES!!

For more info on today's unveiling check out
http://1010wins.com/siteSearch/local_story_334181223.html

Gabba Gabba Hey! :drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-11-30 23:34 ]

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-12-01 06:56 ]

that is great, and about time. coincidentially enough ,I'm working on a Ramones tiki carving.will show pics when completed.

A vintage Ramones riddle...

What turned the Incredible Hulk into a Ramones fan?

Gamma Gamma Rays.

Wow, He is immortalized with the likes of Martin Van Buren, Malcolm Forbes and Vincent Gardinia!

That's really cool...and The Ramones are really deserving for toughing it out as long as they did. Glad two of them get to see it. I was there in Augusta, Georgia when 9th street downtown became "James Brown Boulevard". He still lives near there. James started out as a street performer on that very block.

D
davew posted on Mon, Dec 1, 2003 9:19 PM

great news!will have to look for it next time in the city------dave from jersey

D

Tikijaksin....
A Ramones tiki? Brilliant!! Would love to see some shots of that when you get it done.

Basement Kahuna....
I never knew there was a James Brown Blvd.! Next time I'm doen there I gotta chek that out!!

Atomic Cocktail..
you forgot Itzahk Rabin, Golda Maier, and Cousin Brucie!

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-12-01 21:23 ]

MB
Mrs. B posted on Tue, Dec 2, 2003 9:54 PM

"BAM, BAM, BAM...Rock, Rock, Rock Away Beach!" Flew right over, the now landmark (to me,) on route to JFK this past summer.
Thanks for the info, DONHONY, very cool. When Ben and I visited NY for the first time, he haaaaaad to experience CBGB....it was a must! RIP Joey and Dee Dee...cool, cool band. Soooo fun to see live. What a blast. What memories!
"I feeeeeel good." Ben and I were just groovin' to James at the Reef party following the "It's All About The Tiki" show in Palm Springs. Gotta dig Mr. Brown. No sittin' still for da James! :)
Both deserve a Blvd.
Mahalo,
Mrs. Bamboo

Pages: 1 7 replies