Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Paintings of 'hot chicks' for your Tiki bar, anyone interested?

Pages: 1 10 replies

R

When I was in South East Asia this last Summer I had my eye out for velvet paintings. I was hoping to meet an artist that worked in this medium and have them make some stuff up to my specs. I found a few velvet paintings in Thailand of Indochinese scenes, but no source so I could have Tiki-Hula scenes made up. The merchants said they were made in Chaing Mai, of course they said EVERYTHING was made in Chaing Mai including stuff I KNOW was from Bali! :roll: So I gave it a miss.

BUT! When I was in Phnom Penh I saw an array of oil paintings done on canvas (sorry NO black velvets), most were of Ankor Wat etc, but some were of these fine 'hot chicks'. :D There were wonderfully cheesy and some were semi nudes, looking a lot like the stuff that was so popular in the 50s & 60s.

For some stupid reason though I didn't pick one up. I think I thought it would be too big for my needs or some damn thing. Well I started pining for when I found I had more wall space to cover than I originally thought and contacted a buddy that lives in Phnom Penh. I asked if he would be interested in buying 6-8 of them and shipping them back to me, for a small profit to him of course. :wink: He said he would be happy to and even went down and shot some dig pix of a bunch for me.

My question is, would anyone be interested in them if I got a half dozen to sell? I'm not looking to make a bunch of $$$ just get a couple paintings out of it for my troubles. The thing is that 40% of my costs would be the money transfere and the shipping. Whether I send one dollar or two hundred it would be the same cost and if I airmail 200 grams or a kilo it is also the same cost. A 50cm x 70cm (aprox. 20" x 28") painting would cost me around $30 with all costs included (unless we find some cost cutting alternatives) so I would want to get say $40 each for them which would afford me two. They are nice and hand painted in oil, and they are NOT PRINTS! :wink:

Below are some pix

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2003-12-01 06:31 ]

M

I will gladly pay that price for the topless one, the first one. Please put me in for that one if you can.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Dec 1, 2003 8:37 AM

I love that one on the bottom with Angkor Wat in the background. You can count me in for that one. Maybe another one as well, depends on when you expect to go through with this. Also, I'll take the first one if anything mysterious should happen to McDougall. :wink:

EDIT: Just to be clear, the second from the left on the bottom row is the one I'd like.

[ Edited by: Kono on 2003-12-01 08:39 ]

R

OK well nudity and Ankor Wat is what you like...hehehe I figured as much! :lol: :wink: I can't say exactly what we would get as these are originals and they do ocasionally sell, but I do know that there are generally plenty of both types, topless water maidens and background scenes of Ankor Wat. Then I think I can safely believe that it would be no problem off-ing a half dozen of these to you guys at that price. Now remember that when I get them they will NOT be framed, just rolled up in a tube. Now if I can just figure a way to get the money to him without it costing a fortune! :o

HL

I'd be down with one (or two) in the topless style -- they rock!

T

Paintings of hot chicks! Alright!

here's the topless version...

:tiki:

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2003-12-03 14:27 ]

T

Those must be those genetically modified KFC chickens!

TC

W/ Angkor Watt in the background:

HL

Anything ever become of this?

Chick with big knockers

A Tiki Cheers To You

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-02-15 19:51 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies