Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

How to drink on the job

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

Seems appropriate for the holidays...or any time! And they use the word "legerdemain"!

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/07_03/07-03-juicing-on-the-job.htm

Suddenly life takes an up turn. Thanks

T

They forgot to mention advertising, the best 'drinking on the job' job around! Especially when you have a brewery for a client...

wheeeee

Heck, I don't keep Tiki mugs around my desk for nothin'! :wink:

Great link Tiki-bot.

-Tikiwahine

UB

I know how to drink on the job, I just can't get one. :)

And don't forget to bring your booze in the handsome, monogramed MDM silver flask you got for father's day. It's a surefire way of telling your co-workers that your a guy who's going places!

UJ

Before the doctor told my boss to stop drinking, we used to have beer in the fridge and get it when ever we wanted. Office personel only, and don't let the clients see ya.
Hell that was cooler than when I worked for Miller Beer (that job sucked big floppy donkey).

T

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article161160.ece

What's wrong with these people? Obviously no one polled the Canadians. Beer or wine with lunch is mandatory here. Unless you drive a forklift or are performing circumsicions.

my great-grandfather found that allowing his masons to drink beer during the job gave stone walls a desirable "rustic" look...

j$

M

Two points here:

1. It's awesome that you read Norwegian news, tikifish.

2. I am going to start using "sucked big floppy donkey" for many occasions. Thank you.

I am going to start using "sucked big floppy donkey" for many occasions. Thank you.

Actually I was using the shorter more polite version. The whole version is "sucked big floppy donkey d**k". And you're welcome. :wink:

M

The expression is familiar, but it's the inspired addition of "floppy" that really makes it.

On 2003-12-03 08:07, Unkle John wrote:
Hell that was cooler than when I worked for Miller Beer (that job sucked big floppy donkey).

Hey Unkle, I had a friend that worked for Miller Beer here in So Cal. She told me that there was always beer at all the Company events. Even said that most of the VP's, Directors and such had DUI's on their driving records!

You can't drink on the job anymore? Dang, I've been a Ne'er-do-well too long.

Many moons ago I worked in a costume warehouse. My co-worker on my floor drank so many tall buds he ran out of hiding places for the cans. We'd find them stuffed in coat sleeves, heating ducts, desks, unsued stairwells, laid in the bottom of boxes covered with merchandise to hide them, etc. I finally found so many I got "lawn and leaf" plastic bags and collected them-made some good scratch too.

The guy in the shipping department would go around the building and demand "give me a quarter! When he got enough he'd go to the Greek dinner next door a get his tall bud (but he'd cash in his own cans.)

Our boss was a genuine nut-job (taken out several times through the back door for "a rest.") His favorite antic was to get on the building wide P.A. (It was a block square, 4 story building in Long Island City, NY) and vociferously announce he was "going to fire all your fucking asses." Good for a chuckle the first few times. After a while it drove me to a few beers during the day.

Later I worked on a Broadway show that was so bad that after the nightly show opened the crew would go to the pub next door for a few hours, the go back to the theater and fall down. Made for some interesting interaction with the cast.

I think advertising is the best employment for alcohol consumption though. My ex work in an Ad Agency in NYC. All they did was go out after work and continue the drinking that started during the day. Oh yeah, they all screwed each other too.

T

I just got home from work after having a few glasses of wine at the office. Very nice! Yes, it is perfectly normal in the ad biz to drink at lunch, drink with your clients, go out after work for drinks, etc. What's funny is that my parents were both in the ad biz too, and from what they told me, we're all lightweights these days. Should have been around in the 60's for those 5 martooni lunches at the hotel bar...

Too bad that the Trader Vic's in Toronto is closed, that would have been a great place to go out for client-sponsored cocktails!

25 REASONS WHY BEER SHOULD BE SERVED AT WORK

1. It's an incentive to show up.
  2. It reduces stress.
  3. It leads to more honest communications.
  4. It reduces complaints about low pay.
  5. It cuts down on time off (You can work with a hangover).
  6. Employees tell management what they think, not what management wants to hear.
  7. It helps save on heating costs in the winter.
  8. It encourages carpooling.
  9. Increases job satisfaction because if you have a bad job, you don't care.
  10. It eliminates vacations (Because people would rather come to work).
  11. It makes fellow employees look better.
  12. It makes the cafeteria food taste better.
  13. Bosses are more likely to hand out raises when they are wasted.
  14. Salary negotiations are a lot more profitable.
  15. Burping during a meeting is less embarrassing.
  16. Employees work later since there's no longer a need to relax at the bar.
  17. It makes everyone more open with their ideas.
  18. Everyone agrees the work is better after they've had a couple of drinks.
  19. Eliminates the need for employees to get drunk on their lunch break.
  20. Increases the chance of seeing someone naked.
  21. It eliminates the water cooler (Thus reducing gossip and rumor).
  22. The janitor's closet will finally have a use.
  23. Employees no longer need coffee to sober up.
  24. Sitting on the copy machine will no longer be seen as "gross."
  25. Babbling and mumbling incoherently will be common language.

Pages: 1 15 replies