Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Shag in Seattle.

Pages: 1 12 replies

S

I'm guessin y'all know already, but just in case...
Friday night 5-6 pm, at Roq la Rue.
I'm gonna head down for a few for a drink
or two. I'm going more cause the owner is a friend of mine, and I like to show and support her when I can. The crowded room, however, may drive me away rather quickly. Hope to see a familiar, or new T.C. face or two there.
Pea

I'm going to show up. It will be interesting to see how the crowd compares to all the southern California shows I attended.

S

expect all the "too-cool" lowbrow art collectors to be wearing black. heehee

C

I went to the show in Denver earlier this year. Just AP prints mind you, but they weren't sold until that day, first come, first served, friends of the owner and employees first though. Also one per group so if you were with someone you couldn't buy one each. It was very busy but nothing like the line at Palm Springs in April when the prints were presold and only the show print was available.

The employees said they'd been getting calls from all over the world and offers to pay them under the table and even meet them for a deal in the street. I'm sure at least a few prints went that route, half were sold by the time I walked in and I was first having stalked the place from across the street all afternoon. It was February, no one was getting in line early and the gallery kindly gave us numbers so we could come back when the doors opened to the public. I talked briefly with a woman who had flown in from Kansas City.

I'm on the Shag wagon for a while but a good friend of mine will be there. She's finishing up a job trip in Vancouver and is taking the bus down.

S

I think all the print for the Seattle show have been pre-sold already.

E

I checked Roq La Rue's website and it said a show print will be available to people who attend, so maybe you can still get one.

http://www.roqlarue.com/frame/frm-current.html

I'm not sure what time to show up...i have friends arriving around 7:30ish but to avoid some of the rush hour traffic I might head out earlier. Sweetpea...are you going somewhere prior to the show opening? Maybe could meet up. I'll be the one in all black ha ha. Actually, I think I AM wearing black boots (which will most likely make me the tallest woman there) to go along with the projected rain, rain, rain. So come talk to me and introduce yourself if we haven't met!

Selector Lopaka and Puamana...you guys going?? I'm looking foward to meeting Shag!

E

p.s. Tiki-Riviera...give me a "Go Cougs" so I know who you are (our secret code). :wink:

S

Exoticat, I think we met at
Ohana! hehehehehehe
Wheeee
I'll be going right after work, so from 5-6
wanna beat the rush. I'm in the requisite
black pants, black shoes, black sweater,
with a red and white gingham top, and horribly chipped nail polish. hehehehehe

E

I know we met at Ohana, Sweetpea...I meant anyone who I haven't met yet should say hi. I'll see you soon! :)

I arrived at the show around 6:30, and much to my surprise it wasn't crowded. Compared to other shows, I could actually move and breathe. Spent a few minutes talking to Shag, who seemed much more at ease then times I met him in the past. Bought the show print, spent a few minutes coveting all the paintings and prints, then went to the Islander for my first time. Not the greatest tiki decor, but still nice. Played great music, and the food was very good! I recommend the shrimp fried in coconut with the peanut dipping sauce

hey Cultjam... I was also at the Denver Shag show back in February. It was my first one and I had a blast. The people working at that gallery were top notch. I drove from Chicago and so the gallery put me on the presale list so I ended up getting a AP print that night. I also ended up getting pretty ripped on those "Shag-tinis"- a little drunk talking to Shag but I don't think he cared

TJ

C

Tiki Junkman, Denver was my first show too. Shag was there??? Ah well, I got what I came for.

Cultjam...
yeah he was. I guess he was there for most of the night. He was mobbed with people for the first hour but after that, the natives calmed down and let him breathe. I had him sign a few things, begged him to do a Chicago gig, and then got my picture with him. Nice guy

TJ

Pages: 1 12 replies