Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

1950's Dole Map of the Hawaiian Islands

Pages: 1 12 replies

D

I just won this on Ebay. Does anyone know anything about this map that they can share? Or does anyone know where I might look to find information on it?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-12-03 18:35 ]

D

Oh Well...I have always like this map and do plan on framing it "someday". I was just hoping to get some history on it. I could have sworn I had seen it in someones home bar pictures that had been posted here. Oh Well :(

A

Dawn,
I have a print of this, I got it from a swap meet seller on Oahu. He had just printed it out on a nice Laser printer, He told me it was from a dole pamphlet/map. I framed it in a Koa frame (Gecko told me to get them at K-mart 'cause they're cheaper). I don't know much about it.
Mahalo,
Al

D

Ha! K-Mart that's great! Gee I wish I had known you can pick these up new at K-mart. I am sure the colors would be brighter and the paper much crisper than the one I have. I don't know the age of mine, but the paper is pretty fragile, I'm not really into vintage as much as others are here, I like to buy what appeals to me, old or new...whatever. I thought I had seen one framed at Aloha Cruz last year, but of course couldn't afford what they were asking for it. I do know that this was painted by a Joseph Feher for the Dole Hawaiian Pineapple Co. in the 50's. I would love to find more of his work, not much about him online. Much thanks Al for sharing...I thought I had seen it somewhere here :D Mahalo
K-Mart! :P

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-12-05 12:23 ]

Dr.Z has one of those haning in his bar, too.
That map is a great piece and I always keep an eye out for one. I'm such a sucker for stuff like that with fish.

K
kctiki posted on Fri, Dec 5, 2003 5:08 AM

The Reader's Digest cover on the right was done by Feher. I really like his illustrating style and have been looking for more of his work too. I haven't been able to find much info on him.

Dole produced these as a promotional item that you could send in for. I don't know if you had to send so-many pineapple labels and a few cents, or just a small amount of money, but Dole would send you the poster in a tube via 4th-class mail. Here's a picture of the tube it came in:

This tube is postmarked April 1951.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2003-12-05 11:11 ]

D

kctiki thanks for showing more of Joe's illustrations, I just love them.
The Great and infinitely wise Sabu, is there anything you don't know?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-12-05 12:43 ]

BB

Nice map, I am sure it will look great framed.

Sabu, just a quick question: do you have a extensive mailer tube collection? :D The incredible breadth of your collection makes the mind wobble.

I remember one of my older relatives having one of those unframed in a desk, maybe my Gran'Ma? My Gran'Pa was in the merchant marine and brought home lots of stuff from all over the world. Unfortunately it's almost all gone except for a few pieces from Italy, Greece & Turkey.

D

The Dole Map of the Hawaiian Islands, painted by Josephe Feher

It looks like the same picture to me , so it might it be safe to say Feher painted the mural at Bali Hai in New Orleans too? Thanks everyone for the investigative nature of the people on TC. Another Tiki mystery solved (for me at least). I still need to get this bad boy framed...

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4701&forum=1

K
kctiki posted on Sat, Apr 1, 2006 4:54 PM

I found this bio info for Joseph Feher on several websites:

"Joseph Feher grew up in Budapest, Hungary. Throughout his life, he took great interest in all cultures and traditions, especially the Hawaiian culture. He was a former senior curator of the Honolulu Academy of Arts, and compiled "Hawaii: A Pictorial History," an encyclopedic volume published by the Bishop Museum Press, tracing the history of the Hawaiian islands and the Hawaiian people."

The book mentioned is currently listed on Amazon.com for $125.00. I'd really like to order it but I'm saving my nickels for a trip to Japan right now.

I have that map too- we found it at an estate sale framed in a simple black frame. It's a really nice one!

Pages: 1 12 replies