Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Advice on Trader Vic's wanted

Pages: 1 14 replies

I will be making my first trip to Trader Vic's in London in a couple of weeks and I need some advice on drink and food. Which drinks are THE drinks to order at TV's (Mai Tai obviously), and in what order to fully appreciate them. Also as I am eating there too, any best food advice?

Also what should I try to purchase or beg the barman for?

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2003-12-08 09:29 ]

TC

advice on food & drink at london's trader vic's?

take out a second mortgage!

no, it's not (quite) that bad. i recommend the suffering bastard (not in suffering bastard mugs as of june), the samoan fogcutter &, my fave, the bahia. the menehune juice comes w/ a little menehune that you can take home. most of the mugs are vintage & lovely. & it's definitely worth going - the place is a gem w/ the original 1967 decor!

for food, you may well want to go elsewhere (feel free to pm me if you want tips on yummy restaurants in london) if you plan to eat a full meal. the food is good at tv's, just bloody expensive. the calamari & their ribs are probably my faves.

T

Those little menehunes look like Danny DeVito. I don't like them, but am compelled to keep them nevertheless.

T

On 2003-12-08 08:58, tikifish wrote:
Those little menehunes look like Danny DeVito. I don't like them, but am compelled to keep them nevertheless.

The female ones (womenehunes?) look like Danny DeVito in drag!

M

It's one of the best Vic's left. Try a Navy Grog- Tricky Dick's favo(u)rite!

T

On 2003-12-08 11:45, martiki6 wrote:
It's one of the best Vic's left. Try a Navy Grog- Tricky Dick's favo(u)rite!

Sinatra's too. Happy birthday Frank! (He would have been 88 on Friday.)

M

"Posted by thejab on 2003-12-08 11:57

On 2003-12-08 11:45, martiki6 wrote:
It's one of the best Vic's left. Try a Navy Grog- Tricky Dick's
favo(u)rite!

Sinatra's too. Happy birthday Frank! (He would have been 88 on
Friday.)"

I heard that today is Sammy Davis, Jr's birthday.

The Tiki bowl is good value (for Vic's at least!) and fun for two to share. There's actually a restaurant part and a bar part. The bar is more Tiki, but you can only get 'snacks' there like those Tiki Chris mentioned. I've not a full restaurant meal there as my pennies have been saved for the drinks (£7 & upwards each!)

It's a great place, though. Tiki in every sense of the word, so enjoy!

Trader Woody

M

The midnite's have definite travel plans for my favorite City in March '04. We'll be staying close by to TV's, and likely parked at the bar almost every night we're in London. Dinner may be at The Golden Hind, though, best Fish n Chips we've tasted. Weak dollar and all makes for lower food budget if drinks are at Vic's.

Trader Woody, woody, woody, mate! Is your move completed and all? I still have those two mugs for you. They have your name on them, not in permanent marker or anything, and are still yours.

midnite

GT

Another vote for Navy Grog.

I've seen Rumaki on serving trays at Vic's, but can't recall if it's a seperate item on the menu, due to too many Navy Grogs.

When I was at Trader Vics in London, I drank a Tiki bowl all by my bad self. When I was done, I asked the bus boy if I could keep the tri-Tiki bowl, and he shrugged: "I don't care". I dumped the ice, put the bowl under my arm, and made for the door when the bossman stopped me.

manager: "You can't take that"

me: "But the buss boy said I could keep it!"

manger: (stern look)

me: "Okay" (as I handed it over)

moral of ths story:

Don't drink a Tiki bowl by your self

or

Never trust a bus boy.

That is a dilema. Should I try and buy or beg for stuff from Vic's or simply leave it there for posterity and all to enjoy? Tricky one.

If the menu is anything like the Vic's in Emeryville, the appetizers are better than the entrees for the most part.

For drinks, it is personal taste, but I like the Mai Tai's & Scorpions, my wife likes the one with the parrot in it, Potted parrot or something like that.

If you order the bowls, it seems like a better deal. Rum keg is pretty good, and of course I like the scorpion bowl.

have fun!

I think every Tiki-phile has attempted to get Trader Vic's classic 3-moai Tiki bowl out of the building by fair means or foul! But there's a reason why you see so many Trader Vic's S&P shakers but so few bowls on eBay....
Too bulky for all but the most brazen thief and sadly not for sale, so my advice would be to make sure you get a bunch of photos of yourselves enjoying the drinks there. (Then posting them on TC).

Trader Woody

Thanks to you all for your advice. We went to Trader Vic's on Saturday and had one fantastic time. We tried the Mai Tai, Navy Grog, couple of Fog Cutters and a tiki bowl (between us). The atmosphere was fantastic, as was the decor. And of course the outfits on the waitresses. We ate in the restaurant, and the food was out of this world. And I have to say that the service in the bar and restaurant was brilliant. Attentive and very friendly. And a big thanks to my girlfriend for arranging it(including a nights stay in the Hilton above). Guess we'd better get saving our money for a return visit .

Pages: 1 14 replies