Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Looking for exotica musicians

Pages: 1 10 replies

TM1

Aloha! My name is Tiki Mick, from the Fabulous Smokin' Menehunes, the premier pure Hapo-Haole steel band in Southern California. I was in several bands, but one of my bands is folding, so now I am finding I have too much time on my hands! I am thinking of forming an exotica/lounge band, a la Arthur Lyman, Martin Denny, Les Baxter etc...so I am looking for like-minded musicians who may be interested. Do you play bongos? Vibes? Hammond Organ? Theremin? Do you dig Mancini, Bossa Nova, voodoo??I know you are out there somewhere!. So far, I have found few people out in the non-tiki world who even have a clue what I am talking about!
I play several types of instrument, but only have two hands..I really need your help!

S

If only we weren't so far away from each other. I'm looking to form a similar type of band, but, hey, at least you're in SoCal -- I'm in Arkansas!

T

Tiki Mick,

You cheating sum-a-bitch! You're outta the band!

TM1

That's what my girlfriend called me! A "dirty, filthy, cheating sum-a bitch"!!!

I told her "take a quaalude...you'll love me again in a few minutes!!"

M

Tiki Mick,
Where in SoCal? I play keys.

Aloha Tiki Mick!

i started a thread a while back you might be interested in viewing where lots of tiki folks described their musical talents.
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5812&forum=1

TM1

Hey Mriddle!

Mriddel, OC area, but I might am willing to travel to LA, or meet halfway..where are you?

By the way, I play Bass (main instrument), Guitar, keyboards, drums, percussion, and own many exotic and foreign "world" instruments"....I am looking to put together a modern "space age bachelor pad exotica lounge" group...

I am already in a Hawaiian Steel band, and we rock, but now I am looking for something a bit more kitschy in addition to the Hawaiian band!

On 2003-12-09 09:41, tiki mick wrote:

I am already in a Hawaiian Steel band, and we rock,

Tiki Mick,

Don't use the word 'rock' to describe our band ever! Do you hear me young man?

Hey Bong,

Your band, "The Smokin' Meningitis", does Rock! I've seen you. You rock slowly and gently, like a hammock between two coconut trees.

Love,

Sabu

...Don't use the word 'rock' to describe our band ever!...

How about:
"The Smokin' Menehunes...they rock like hot lava!"

Get it? smokin'...hot lava..

Ok, nevermind. Waitress! Make mine a decaf please!

TM1

Futura Girl, thanks for the info!!!

Love the website, by the way! It's nice to know I am not the only one into Googie, the Jetsons and the late 50's, early 60's space age!
My greatest childhood memories were of the area around Disneyland, around 1969....the hotels all had fake lava rocks on the walls, and satellites or spaceships on the roofs...totally cheesy, and totally cool! The "renovated" anaheim area as it is now, truly sucks! Well, It sounds like you know the style I am talking about, so, If you happen to meet or know any musicians that are interested, please let me know via a TC post! mahalo!

Pages: 1 10 replies