Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

new member (sort of)

Pages: 1 20 replies

I've been following these posts for awhile and wanted to introduce myself as a new member. My fiance and I just returned from our 2nd trip to Kauai this year, what can I say, surfing was awesome (solid overhead) stayed in Poipu and Hanalei found some hidden menehune sites, proposed to my gal on Shipwreck's Beach under a full moon and tiki torches, The mai-tai's were flowing. We live in S.F. I play instro surf guitar (Fender Jaguar) and surf Ocean Beach (almost daily). I want to get into tiki art (carving and lino-cuts) I also do silver jewelry. Looking for people to jam with musically and want to be in on the upcoming tiki crawl or upcoming events.

Mahalo

Brian and Abbie

Welcome Brian and Abbie. I play a '52 reissue tele. Anyone who plays Fenders can't be all bad!

http://www.samgambino.com

Actually, I also have a Jazzmaster (both are 62-re-issues MIA, as well as a 63' Fender reverb unit (of course).

Nice meeting you!

Sounds like a neat setup. By the way, congratulations on the engagement.

M

Aloha! The big SF crawl is in the planning stages now so you'll see posts about it on Tiki Central. Also be sure to add your email to this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4184&forum=4

to stay up on all the smaller events as they happen. Welcome!

Aloha to you Surfguitar42.
:tiki:

K
Kenike posted on Mon, Dec 8, 2003 4:57 PM

'82 Tele here.

:drink:

T

Who needs stinkin' frets! Steel's where it's at boys!

Thanks for all the hospitality! Tiki_Bong's from HB huh? (old stompin' grounds). Too bad about the Texan though...just kidding (lol)

That'll cost me a cocktail...sorry Juno

[ Edited by: surfguitar42 on 2003-12-08 18:19 ]

High there....Nice to meetcha...
I'm a new dude too and everyone heres been real cool...no Texas cracks though...I'm from Houston. (OR i'll take my bong and go home)
snicker
A.H.

Off topic: Does anyone know of a cool venue for a wedding reception in SF, Pacifica, HMB or Marin that doesn't cost a backbone and allows live music (amplified). I want to get a hot surf band to play. My fiance is planning a Hawaiian theme wedding and catered luau style buffet in May (real kalua pig, yum!)

Any and all wedding and reception ideas, past experiences are welcome (we aren't rich...yet). Thanks for the congratulations BTW!

AlmostHuman (sorry about that, you and Da Bong, please stay!)

[ Edited by: surfguitar42 on 2003-12-08 18:54 ]

S

On 2003-12-08 17:55, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Who needs stinkin' frets! Steel's where it's at boys!

Tiki_Bong (and other steel guitar players here),

I've been thinking lately about taking up steel guitar (I play guitar and bass and a little uke now), but I'm a bit stymied on where to get started: 6-string? 8-string? vintage? new? which tuning? etc.

6-string SEEMS the most natural place to start since I play guitar already, but I don't know if that's a bad idea, in that I'd just be moving guitar licks to the steel (well, considering the different tuning).

Any advice for someone who wants to start playing steel guitar in a general hawaiian/tiki sort of way?

P.S. Do we need a section just for tiki music (both for musician threads and listening/fan threads)?

Cheers,

Steven

On 2003-12-08 16:57, Juno wrote:
'82 Tele here.

:drink:

I'll bet that's a sweet guitar. Teles and Les Pauls (although it's not really a guitar for surf music) are my favorites. I play slide with standard tuning (blues). I wish I knew more about different tunings for pedal steel playing (hawaiian, etc.).

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2003-12-08 21:27 ]

UB

SG;
Welcome to California
Kauai was the most magical part of my voyage; when I use to bartend on the Constitution and the Independence (The only 2 USA cruise line flagships of Hawaii). What a magical time that was.
My only hope to follow a "Hawaiian Dream" was the beautiful coast of Big Sur, CA..
People come from all over the world to get married here.
You owe it to yourself to see this coastline, and to consider a "new horizon". I kept coming here to vacation. I decided to say," Hell "I'll just live here and vacation some where else.
You know you live in a special place, when you vacation abroad, and have no problem returning home.
The Best Tiki To You!

A Tiki Cheers To You

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-12-08 22:03 ]

:)

[ Edited by: tikicleen 2009-05-07 12:12 ]

Thank you for all the info TikiCleen, I passed the links onto my fiance (I'm in charge of finding the band).

Unga- Big Sur is really (really) nice, it's been awhile for me but we've been talking about a road trip down Hwy 1. Actually I'm a native to CA (S.F. via Laguna Beach)

Thanks

Sam, Juno, SJarvis: you ever play slack-key? I've been practicing w/ books (Keola Beamer's, etc) The best ones I've found are the Mel Bay series in tab. It's so melodic and a nice change from the classical studies (Sor, Carulli, etc). Maybe we can do a tablature swap, here's my favorite link: http://acousticpower.com/

Thanks for the link, surfguitar42. I must say that I'm somewhat ignorant, though, outside of what I figure out by listening to songs or watching guitarists. I could benefit from buying some different books because I'm really in a "rut" with my playing style.

T

On 2003-12-08 20:37, sjarvis wrote:

Tiki_Bong (and other steel guitar players here),

I've been thinking lately about taking up steel guitar (I play guitar and bass and a little uke now), but I'm a bit stymied on where to get started: 6-string? 8-string? vintage? new? which tuning? etc.

6-string SEEMS the most natural place to start since I play guitar already, but I don't know if that's a bad idea, in that I'd just be moving guitar licks to the steel (well, considering the different tuning).

Any advice for someone who wants to start playing steel guitar in a general hawaiian/tiki sort of way?

P.S. Do we need a section just for tiki music (both for musician threads and listening/fan threads)?

Cheers,

Steven

Steven,

I've posted info for members wanting to start playing steel before, but my love of steel is such that I'm always happy to post it again.

I play 6 string steels. I have 2 single neck guitars and a double neck '53 Rickenbacker. 8 string is nice but it's a freaking lot of strings to change!

The tunings I use are open G, open E, and C6th. C6th is a very Hawaiian sounding tuning, but more for chords. Open G and E are better for single note stuff.

Since you play guitar, I assume you have a basic understanding of chord structure. You'll need it. Know things like: Major Chord = Major third, Minor third stack; minor chord = Minor third, Major third stack, etc.

Most chords on steel are only intervals of the 1, 3, or 5.

Above all, Jerry Byrd once said (and I found to be true), if you're going to play steel, you pretty much have to do it 100%. I used to run scales and modes on my standard tuned regular guitar 2 or 3 nights a week. Not now - it's all steel, all the time.

Good luck!

P
pablus posted on Tue, Dec 9, 2003 8:10 PM

Just want to add an "amen."

Upon Tiki Bong's word I got the book "Hawaiian Steel" today from MelBay.

I'm only looking to accompany our small Hawaiiana ensemble (I play uke, usually) and already can see that this book will get me there and beyond.

What a cool sounding instrument.
It makes me want to learn to surf, eat poi, toke some pakalolo and attack a neighboring village.

And then write a song about it all.

M

Check your private messages surfguitar42.

(link in the upper right)

Pages: 1 20 replies