Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Saw an interesting point in a mug thread, so a question: Are some mugs too precious to drink from?

Pages: 1 13 replies

GT

I kinda look at Tiki Mugs as the Stradivari of beverage containers, and figure I gotta use 'em to get every last "drop" of enjoyment.

I have a Buddhist friend who has a quote, "I know the glass is already broken so I enjoy it, incredibly."

So, I drink now and repent if necessary.

Are some of your mugs just too dear to mess with, or is every mug you have taken for an occasional spin?

I just scored a Steve Crane mug from a flea market last week. I'm going to drink out of it once, but after that it goes into a protective spot where it has no chance of cracks, chips, or destruction. It's just not worth it.

Not too precious, some are just too disgusting to drink from. Unless they're new (none of mine are), who knows what they were formerly used for -- holding plants, pencils, etc. I left water in a Moai to soak (it had a funky smell) and it "bled" out through the crazing -- good thing I didn't fill it up with Mai Tai. In any case, I prefer to drink cocktails out of a glass -- I like to see the color.

Use your mugs!!!!!!

What are you saving them for? (unless you plan to sell them).

my wahine really likes the Trader Vic's coconut for some reason. maybe it's the gilligan's island association. we use those often, with no concern about dropping it ( they were $.50 to $1 apiece after all). i tend to use one of my bosko mugs for my own mai tais. i have used more vintage ones before, but tend to be concerned about cracked glaze.

i always had issue with folks who restored their old cars so nicely they were afraid to use them. so using the old mugs occasionally and gently is my m.o.

amscray youse mugs,

j$

M

There's a thread around here somewhere about the danger of the lead glazes in some of the older mugs. Lots of good info from Tiki King as I recall. So that's a pretty good reason not to drink out of old mugs.

F

yeah you do have to watch out for what was in those old glazes. They didnt have the health standards then that they implement now for ceramic items. I know the old kahiki mugs have lead, but not sure if the dude at the kahiki meant the hoffmans or the older orchids-style ones.

I do like to drink out of them, myself.. at least the ones I pretty much figure are safe, like a BaliHai man, etc.

However, I don't like having the good vintage mugs out in a big party situation. I find I can have alot more fun if I'm using repros or easily replaced stuff. Especially with drunks or kids. And most non-tiki types cant really tell the difference anyway. Also, what people love is to let them take a mug home.. we did that at our wedding (had some of those frat mugs made with our logo on the back) and people still have them out on display to this day.. they enjoyed that part alot more than i figured they would!

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-12-10 16:31 ]

S

This is something BK and I have discussed. That's why we buy any mug we see, even the most vile common mug. They are good to serve out of and you can even give them away and start some new persons collection if you choose.

There are the serving mugs and the looking at mugs.

K

Use your mugs!!!!!!

I don't drink out of my collectable mugs. I use the cheap tiki mugs for that. Better to break a $3.00 mug than a Shecky (even though I don't own a Shecky :( :sheckymug:).

:drink:

P

I have drunk (a Mai Tai) from one of my Shecky mugs, but I don't think I have ever drunk anything from any of my other Munktiki collector mugs. I have drank from all of my Tiki Farm mugs, except the Cockeyed Tiki Bush Warrior mug that I just recently acquired. I have not drank from most of my other rarer collector mugs, pretty much figuraing it is better to drink from the more common mugs. I doubt that I will ever drink from my Pizz Outrigger mugs (when they arrive). With onlt 100 made, how can one be replaced if it gets broke when washing it?

I hadn't considered the lead angle!

Same with the oozing through old cracked glaze.

Man, now I have to weigh the pleasure vs. the risk. That feels so not Tiki!

Lead! Poor ol' lead always gets such a bad press.

Next you'll be saying aluminium causes loss of ...................what was it now?

On 2003-12-10 16:45, Swanky wrote:
That's why we buy any mug we see, even the most vile common mug.

Yeah, that's why I've got a bunch of those Benihana mugs. They seem to go down better than Tiki mugs to our less clued-up guests.
Same goes for the not-so-valuable volcano bowl we use.

Personally, I like to drink out of the newer ones, just because I know they are clean. In fact I tend to use the same ones over and over because I'm too lazy to wash out all the recent accumulated dust in other new ones.

Trader Woody

I have a drink from every tiki mug I acquire (after it's washed and) before it goes on the shelf. Sort of like their maiden voyage. Just a little ritual for me.

Pages: 1 13 replies