Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Need Hangover Help

Pages: 1 37 replies

T

It's the morning after my company xmas party. I need help. The culprit? A pantload of white wine. Luckily I didn't do shooters or anything stupid, or it could have been a lot worse.

Here's the symptoms: a rather localised headache, around the front of the head, feels like a Star Trek 'Geordi LaForge' headband is gripping me tight around the forehead there.

Bit of a sore throat from the cigarettes, and a general body buzz that I assume will just turn to fatigue in a few hours.

Is there a doctor in the house?

I've heard that you should drink quite a bit of water, because part of a hangover is due to dehydration. Not a quick fix by any means, but oh well.....(my 2 cents, and that's probably all it's worth!).

http://www.samgambino.com

On 2003-12-11 07:44, Sam Gambino wrote:
I've heard that you should drink quite a bit of water, because part of a hangover is due to dehydration. Not a quick fix by any means, but oh well.....(my 2 cents, and that's probably all it's worth!).

http://www.samgambino.com

yeh, gatorade can't hurt.
(no sports endorsement implied)
good luck, j$

ADDENDUM

stay away from some pain relievers - I believe that Allieve and a handful of others will blitz your liver if you take them with high alcohol content in your bloodstream... i'm sure someone else out there has mo info...

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2003-12-11 08:10 ]

Resolve....they re-hydrate you really fast, lots of water and bananas.

Have a fried breakfast followed by a couple of beers at lunchtime. (Or even better - Bloody Marys)

NB This may not be the healthiest option

Trader Woody

I totally agree with Trader Woody. A cooked breakfast and hair of the dog always works a treat. And it's the most civilised cure to a hangover.

D

I read somewhere to stay away from caffine, no coffee or tea (unless herbal) it just dehydrates you more. I have also heard that if you eat something sweet before and after you drink that there is something about the sugar that helps fight hangovers. I hope you feel better soon :drink:

The plop plop fizz fizz stuff helps alot. Also pedialyte from a drug store in the baby food section, this stuff replenishes your electrolites.

If you don't sober up, you don't get a hangover...

There IS a doctor in the house...somewhere.
Where's the Z cure?
Hello, Dr. Z, you have a patient?

T

I think If I had a choice I would go with the Trader Woody solution, being of British background myself. However, I have just been informed that I have to sit through a casting call of about 100 actors for the afternoon. I don't think watching bad Pacino imitations will be helpful for my situation. If it weren'f for that, popping over to the local irish pub for a pint and some fries would be just the thing!

My only solace is that there are a lot of people around me in worse shape than I am!

for some reason that scene you just described gave me a "Bridget Jones" vibe.

just sharing :)

ta ra, cheers, j$

As sad and pathetic as it may be, my pre-married life could have been inspiration for a "Bridget Jones goes to Canada" novel.

Thnakfully, I no longer get drunk, eat takeout, and sing along to sappy movies in my pyjamas anymore. Well, I do, but nw I have a husband to watch me do it.

Kon-Hemsby, what is 'Resolve'?

I have not heard of this magic elixir.

Man, makes me glad government is too cheap to spring for an X-mas party...

(I guess I'll be forced to do it on my own)

S

Take one of those OTC heartburn medicines. They are the doctor approved best for the headache. They do something to shink the swelling of the brain lining that's the culprit. Also take Aleve or 2. DO NOT TAKE TYLENOL! It will make it worse! Aspirin will do. Eat chicken.

On 2003-12-11 10:08, tikifish wrote:

Yeah, 'cos it's carpet cleaner here in the States.
(Well, couldn't make you feel much worse...)

On 2003-12-11 11:10, purple jade wrote:

On 2003-12-11 10:08, tikifish wrote:

Yeah, 'cos it's carpet cleaner here in the States.
(Well, couldn't make you feel much worse...)

umm... Febreeze Spritzer...

DZ

Ahem... I see my services have been requested.

I've posted my "World Famous" hangover cure on many a thread here on TC, and have plenty of printed testimonials from actual people to back up it's effectiveness (The Jab, Bamboo Ben and Johnnie Velour come to mind...) For those who have yet to experience its miraculous healing power, here it is:

--3 Vitamin B Super Complex

--3 Lecithin geltabs

--3 plain, coated aspirin

Take before 'retiring' for the night with at least 2 full glasses of water, and you'll be thanking me in the morning, I tell ya!

I use 'Nature Made' brand for the B and lecithin and just standard strength aspirin, all available in big-ass jars at CostCo.

Oh, and if things are a bit, say, BRIGHT DAY-GLOW YELLOW the next morning, don't worry: the B and lecithin are water soluble and you're just eliminating what you don't need...

DZ

Actually, I think I need to clarify something:

To wake up feeling fine, this MUST be taken the night before - sleep is an essential ingredient, because it takes time for the medicine to get through your system. If you pass out and forget to take them and wake up with a hangover of Biblical proportions, you've missed the bus, my friend, and have to wait for the next one. It will still work if you take it the morning after, but you're gonna have to wallow in pain for a few hours...

However, it is an equal-opportunity elixir: I've found it effective on wine, beer, mixed drink and straight alcohol hangovers!

(BTW - I gave out pre-made packets of these to departing guests at my b-day party last summer, 'cause the Good Doctor cares about his friends...) :)

T

I'll vouch for Doctor Z's Prevention, but I have to reduce to just 1 or 2 pills of the lecithin and Super B to prevent early morning acid-reflux. Also I've found that taking a Super B complex before a night of drinking (preferably with food) helps prevent hangovers.

After the fact, the only thing that really helps is sleep. Hair of the dog doesn't work in most cases; it usually just postpones or prolongs the pain. Small sips of water help rehydrate, but drinking a lot of liquids may worsen the nausea. Spicy foods and drinks with tomato may help. Why? Because the stomach is often paralyzed by the alchohol (which is why that food you ate for dinner the night before sometimes isn't yet digested). The tomato and spicey food "wakes up" your stomach and helps restart digestion.

D

[ Edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:13 ]

P

Cold pork-chop sandwich on stale white bread and undercooked eggs.

...and a breath mint for after you throw everything up.

Really though - Pineapple or pineapple juice restores your pH balance as well as any food can. Super chilled. If possible, eat a bit of papaya with it to ease any reflux.

C

No water on the morning after, drink something carbonated.

T

I just discovered a mravellous cure! GREASY CHINESE DELIVERY FOOD!

Sadly, this releif only came after working a looooong day in which i auditioned some of the world's worst actors... I was in the 5th level of hell.

There is an over the counter pill called: Chaser...website included here: http://www.doublechaser.com

What I did in my salad days was try to drink at least a large glass of water and ibeaprofin before bed. If that didn't work.. it was off to Jack-in-the-Box in the morning get two "breakfast jacks" (bread, eggs, luecon ham and cheese) and a "ulitma Chease burger, and a large "Surge" (which is not sold here anymore)

or if i was broke:
A big fat greasy cheesey unkle john style egg and hambuger meat omlet. then a nap.

Mo-Holler.

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2003-12-11 19:02 ]

Chocolate is really good for a hangover, but to get the best absorption of its medicinal properties it must be taken as an enema. So
its a win win situation.

TF,
I'm\We are glad to hear you are feeling back to your beautiful self.
May this thread be posted under, "For Future Fellow TC Luau Adventures\Tiki Crawls. I have already printed this out and submitted it to my medicine cabinet.
Great words of wisdom\experience TCers!

Resolve contains- Paracetamol (Painkiller)
Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)
Citric Acid
Sodium bicarbonate, Potassium bicarbonate, Sodium carbonate (All are antacids)
Glucose, Saccharin sodium, Sucrose (Sugars)
This magic powder rehydrates the body.

Ideal when you don't have time for the fry up.
One of the best things at a rockin weekender is the smell of good greasy fried breakfasts coming from various chalets and cafe's , all catering to the needs of tired and hungover kats and kittens.

K
Klas posted on Fri, Dec 12, 2003 8:29 PM

No offence, but the last thing you would like to do at a serious hangover is to eat...

And yes, I'm talking about serious drinking

K
Klas posted on Fri, Dec 12, 2003 8:34 PM

To clarify, people who talk about eating haven't experienced a real hangover :D

T

Here is the 'before' picture of me and my friend before we went to the party. No need to see the 'after' picture, it ain't pretty.

he he!

[ Edited by: tikifish on 2003-12-12 21:09 ]

Hey Jane, I wish those socks would make a come-back in a BIG way! BTW, is that your pal Crystal Chandelier?

http://www.tikifish.com/tikicrawl.html

Crystal Chandeleir can be seen here, in the first montage of tiki crawl pics, to the left of me where I am wearing the lilac muppet dress. I am now appalled, looking back, that there are not more crystal chandeleir pics on the site, as she was a BOSS part of that crawl. Mig, Hanford, Mr. Smiley, Sweetpea, Bigbadtikidaddy and others can attest to that. However, I do not know if she can make it this year, But trust me, I am working on it!

To further clairfy, the foxy Filipino gal to the left of me in the above pic is my art director at work... my 'partner', in ad parlance. although it is not wise to discuss your 'partner' ouside the ad biz, cause people just think you are a lesbian, and nod knowingly.

Oh sorry, there is anothe rpic of Crystal Chandeleir cosying up to Mig on the last set of pics on the right hand side... but who WOuLDNt want to cosy up to Mig?

OK, sorry, I ma getting misty eyed remeniscing about that awesome tiki crawl... We had the distinction of being the gals who came the farthest to crawl, but now that TC is so much bigger, who know who will show up!

Here's a pretty old thread, but maybe it's important to "revive" this one a little bit, esp. after Dr. Z's weekend --

Was not able to attend Dr. Z's fab event, but if your weekend's been anything like Satan's Sin's, perhaps you too have woken up with a certain "tightness" behind the eyes .... ?

Here is my sure-fire "corpse reviver" :

Works every time!

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin on 2004-08-02 17:47 ]

T

Peppermint tea is an excellent hangover cure. It won't help with the headache, but will stop that nauseous feeling within 30 min. Works great when 'hair of the dog' is just not an option, ie. having to go to work.

Good luck for next time

Pages: 1 37 replies