Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Question for the rum experts

Pages: 1 9 replies

K

While strolling through a Goodwill store today I picked up this old rum bottle. I've never seen or heard of this brand before. It's obviously pretty old. Does ANYONE know anything about this brand? The writing on the lable may be hard to see in the pics so here's what it says:

Anglo Swiss Vintager, S.A.
SELLO AZUL
Jamaica Rhum
Blue Seal
INSURGENTES 1960
HECHO EN MEXICO
A HIGH-CLASS LIQUOR
SPECIALLY ADOPTED FOR TEA
GROG AND PUNCHES

Reg. S.S.A. No. 3337-A
Mexico, D.J.
Kingston

The label close to the top says:
JAMAICA RHUM

T

How can it be Jamaican Rum when it's made in Mexico? Still, it's a cool bottle.

my grandpa had a bottle like that in his basement!

his era of collecting would have been about 1930's to 1970's,

i may very well have inherited it, there is a cache of his stuff in the midwest i have to pick up (he passed away in october 03, dat was sad...)

j$

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2003-12-11 14:45 ]

K

How can it be Jamaican Rum when it's made in Mexico?

I thought the same thing. Maybe they outsourced like AOL.

:drink:

P

It's probably like the Japanese sake made in California. Or maybe it's like "cuban seed tobacco."

Only real way to tell if it's any good is to open 'er up and take a drink.

K

Only real way to tell if it's any good is to open 'er up and take a drink.

I forgot to mention it's an empty bottle.

The lable also says "Insurgentes 1960." Is that when it was bottled? What the hell does "insurgentes" mean? Insurgent? That doesn't make any sense. The more I look at this bottle the more perplexed I am.

:drink:

B

I don't know if you are still interested since you posted this request over a year ago. I was just looking for a source for that rum. It is some of the smoothest rum I have ever tried. It really does go with anything. I used to be able to walk over the border and buy it in liquor stores in Juarez, Mexico, but it was never imported to the US. I have not been able to get it since I moved to Oklahoma.

K

Don't know the source of that bottle. Since I live in TX theres a good chance it probably came from Mexico where you got yours.

I tried to sell the bottle on Ebay but had no takers. I ended up parting with it at a garage sale last summer. I think I got $4 for it.

S

Whoa dude, it says "insurgentes". Thats some kind of terrorist shit, hope you like your house being raided!

I realize this thread is 4 years old but it's the only reference I found to this stuff. Last night I ended up going to this tiny bar in a tiny town about 30 minutes north of Pittsburgh. They had a bottle of this stuff unopened. Long story short after it taking us an hour to open it we drank about 1/3 and then the bartender sold me the rest of the bottle. It is the smoothest,best smelling, best tasting rum I've ever had. It was found in a box in the bottom of their building along with a 41 year old bottle of crown royal(she wouldn't sell me that).

Pages: 1 9 replies