Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Anyone in the SF area want an old home tiki bar?

Pages: 1 8 replies

R

Hey all --

I picked up an old tiki bar at an estate sale about a year ago and had great hopes of it being able to be shoehorned into our living room. After a year of figuring and debating with my wife, it seems like it's just not to be (not that she doesn't love tiki; there's just no room). No point in it languishing in the basement any longer.

I think it is a Paul McCobb design, or at least it looks like some tiki bars attributed to McCobb that I've seen. It's made of some light-colored wood in vertical planks with an iron rod base and that twisted paper stuff that looks like cord. It has two matching (?) stools, but it doesn't have a top. That is to say that it had a top at the house it came out of but that top was not original, and it was just too ugly and heavy to bring home with it. I had intended to make a top with a box of '50s plastic mosaic tiles that I got, but never did.

So I guess that makes this "a great opportunity" for you crafty types out there. You could make a top out of whatever size and materials you wanted (a 2' x 4' piece of ply and some cork would work fine). The bar and stools are in good shape, and seem to have their original finish. The inside of the bar has had a few mai tais splashed around in it for seasoning, but it still looks good. Heck--maybe it looks better!

So, if you're interested, the bar, both stools and the box of tiles can be yours for $150, which is about what I have into it, including a nominal amount for breaking my back carrying it the 11 blocks from the estate sale to our apartment. If you have any questions about it (such as measurements) feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] .

I could deliver it within SF, but it would have to go in the trunk of my Dart, and that might not do it any good. I'd prefer it if you'd pick it up at our apartment in central SF. In really don't want to eBay it, but if no one on TC wants to spring for it within a few days, that's what I'll have to do. Either that or I'll set it up on the sidewalk and sell drinks.

Cheers --

Robert

[ Edited by: tikichump on 2005-04-13 11:15 ]

T

Come on chump, have a little imagination! With some spit and polish and a new top that could be quite a nice piece!

The stools have a cool 'pagoda-esque' shape to them too.

K
Kono posted on Thu, Dec 18, 2003 7:45 AM

I really dig the cast iron legs and foot step. Unique. Cover it in bamboo, put a piece of plexi glass over the hole and add some of your favorite tiki mugs behind the glass.

rch427 is cool coz he has a Dart!

i luv to see them on the road still. i had a 74 dart w/318 (hauled ass) and now i gotta 62 valiant with slant 6 (semi-hauls ass)

back onto the topic, that bar will go to a good home i'm sure. bamboo, backlit mask, whatever...

R

Weird! I always suspected there was a parallel universe, but I never thought it would be in St. Louis. I wonder if this is what the original top looked like. If so, it ain't too pretty; just about anything one could make would be better, I think. I like Flounder's idea about the bamboo and plexi!

Maybe my price is optimistic; I'd entertain offers, so long as I don't have to ship. The important thing is that it go to someone who will make an honest bar out of it, whatever that means. Oh yeah--it means using it!

Johnny Dollar--you have a "road toad"? Great! My Dart is a '63 GT hardtop, but my first car (about 25 years ago) was a '63 Valiant. A different model than yours, but same motor and frame, I think. My Dart just has the 225 slant-6, which will only haul a half-ass at a time.

Anyone else on the list have a Dart/Valiant?

-- Robert

I drove a 64 Valiant for years. Push button transmission, slant 6. I think it was the 1964 Motor Trend car of year.

cool! hey how about we start a car thread in beyond tiki ~

j$

Pages: 1 8 replies