Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

??Tiki News??

Pages: 1 2 47 replies

How many issues of Tiki News are there??

I signed up for 3 years and have received issue #17. And that was I think 2 years ago?

I bought all the back issues that were on the web site.

Just wondering if there are more I don't know about?

Anyone else have a thought?

I agree, where's the next issue? Otto?
Although it's says right there in the Tiki News "The next issue will be published whenever I feel like it", or something similar to that.

Coincidentally, I had just sent Otto an email regarding this topic. I too paid for multiple years and received only old issues.

He assured my that there would be more Tiki News and just to be patient. No timeline specified though.

Baxdog,

What are you asking us for? I thought you were Otto's mouthpiece on TC.

I paid for a year's subscription a year ago. I only hope that when the new editions do come out, he mails all that paid for a year, a year's worth.

Bax, you should feel lucky, I'm paid up through 2015.

S

Hey Bax,

Didn't you read the fine print?

Something like Tiki News is published "whenever we feel like it."

Kinda like Bamboo Ben's "website on vacation."

Aloha,

STEN :wink:

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-12-17 20:35 ]

Honestly, I paid for a $12.00 3 issue subsciption back in either 2001 or 2002, and got nothing. No back issues, no new issues, just a cashed check. It sucks. I emailed once and got no response.

Oh well. Maybe somebody will see all these posts and do something about it.

Erich

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt on 2003-12-17 18:44 ]

Be patient, remember Otto probably operates on Aloha which would explain "whenever we feel like it." I like that spirit.

doh...maybe I should have asked around, I just sent in my $12 2 days ago.

Don't get us involved in this!!!

When we get our site up, we will deliver! (but as for now, too busy! No time for web-biz.)

"(but as for now, too busy! No time for web-biz.)"
Did you steal that saying from Otto?

Spike, are you getting horny again,
"you should feel LUCKY"

"Aloha Spirit" is a day or a week not
2 years

How about on his Website,
Sorry about the delay, I will get to it when more of you pay, I hope it is OK, I might print again someday, but not before some of you start to decay, so sign up for 3 years right away, and Santa will bring it in his Sleigh, you just have to believe!

Well it's taken me 2 years to do my Euro-Tiki 'zine, "Eye of the Tiki" and issue #1 isn't even out yet, so I have some sympathy with Otto!

Don't worry, I'm sure a new issue of Tiki News will pop up when it's least expected.

Trader Woody

On 2003-12-17 21:34, RevBambooBen wrote:

Don't get us involved in this!!!

When we get our site up, we will deliver! (but as for now, too busy! No time for web-biz.)

Hey Reverend,

I'll have the #4 with side of fries!

You know I gotta drag your ass into this somehow! Just kidding, man. Luv your stuff & your style.

Mele Kalikimaka!

I

I've always felt that 'Tiki News' fell more into the 'zine' category than the more formal magazine category. Those of you who participated in the world of zines in the 90's know that zines were started out of a sense of passion, with little or no hope of making a profit, but more with the intent of meeting other like-minded people. Most every one of the zine editors I've met have said they they lost money with each issue they produced. Magazines, on the other hand, are usually done on a larger scale, with a more formal business plan, with the hope of realizing a profit.

Many times I have sent money away for a zine subscription, and many times I would receive one issue, and then nothing after that. This wasn't surprising, as most zines ended up producing less than 5 issues, at which point the editor would move on to some other creative endeavor. It was a bit like gambling - some folded quickly, but others continued to produce interesting content for many more issues.

It never bothered me too much when a zine folded, as I felt the money would be used in some other creative fashion by the editor. I simply considered it a donation to some future artistic endeavor -- kind of like how in the Middle Ages certain artists would be supported by wealthier patrons.

Ten years ago, with that first issue of 'Tiki News', Otto and anyone else involved would surely have been flabbergasted if it was suggested that ten years from then, there would be hundreds of people contributing to a on-line tiki bulletin board, and that people would be gathering for tiki events located all over the country. There are so many zines that popped up, briefly made their point, and sank back into obscurity. Tiki News has really been one of the more culturally important zines, that has 10 years later resulted in a real community.

In a sense, the existence of Tiki Central diminishes the need for the next issue of Tiki News. I can get my tiki fixes here, rather than having to wait for the next issue.

I do hope that Otto will produce some future issues, as I'm one of those who has future issues due to me, and his endeavors tend to be of generally good quality. but I won't be too upset if I never received another issue. I'm pleased to see him still doing the planning and coordination for the cool events that he and Baby Doe put together.

There are people who will take the money and run, yelling 'Sucker' back to you. Otto is not one of those .... I feel he is one who will always be seeking some way to make the world a more fun place to live, and best of all, he opens the door to us, inviting us in to join in the festivities.

My only regret is that I live on the wrong coast to take part in many of those events.

Vern

"and best of all, he opens the door to us, inviting us in to join in the festivities."
As long as you pay!
Why can't it be as simple as a statement on the website or on TC or both.
And why should we feel glad that he does what he does, we pay for it each and every time.
They are some great events, I don't want to live without Otto, I just want something for my Money.
I am just as passionate as the next guy, that is why I want another issue, I love it!!!
I just got sick of this feeling like nobody could say anything about it.
Sorry everyone, it just bugs?

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.