Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

need info on my new mugs

Pages: 1 11 replies

G

Just got these and jus wonderin' where they may be from? no markings. I haven't seen them on ebay a lot so I'm jus assuming they are somewhat rare ya?

Mahalo

Those are way cool Gecko! Are you selling any or are all of them keepers? I've never seen them before.

G

wasssup SCD,

i was tinkin' mo on da trading side.....

L

DUDE! I'd say that's a major score! Those look very similar to this mug

From: [email protected] @ 198.81.26.171 (Oct 12, 2002 17:17 EDT)
To the best of my knowledge these mugs were made for the Islander restaurant in the late 50s and early 60s. According to Bob van Oosting from Oceanic Arts in Whitier these were produced by a lady named Betty Spurlin(I am not sure of the correct spelling, but I believe this is correct) She produced these out of a small kiln at her house and sold her mugs to a number of restaurants during that time frame. She never marked her mugs. However they are quite distinguished by their rich glases. This mug can be seen in the Islander Menu on page 162 in the book of tiki. It stands with some of the rarest tiki mugs around.

From: [email protected] @ 198.81.26.171 (Oct 12, 2002 17:19 EDT)
addendum to previous comment, I believe the Spurlin Pottery was located in either Whitier or Downey. Oceanic Arts has an example of this mug in their collection

(thanks to mike's tiki gallery for image and text)

I talked about this mug in this thread (ignore the arguements)
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=6713&forum=1&start=15
That mug has special sentimental value to me.

Your mugs were probably made by the same woman but she tried out the bone thing? Where did you get them? An amazing find!
I'd love to trade or buy one from you!

[ Edited by: laney on 2003-12-17 11:26 ]

On 2003-12-17 11:22, GECKO wrote:
wasssup SCD,

i was tinkin' mo on da trading side.....

Wish I had something to trade. I don't have any doubles of anything. Oh, I have this Gecko carving....juuuust kidding!

G

WOW! tanks plenty Laney! looks like I did get a good one finally. I'm going to put one on ebay to see what these may be worth. I'm willing to trade with you though Laney for something good. I haven't got these yet waiting for them in the mail.

SCD....you dam commedian!

Mike,

That is a cool score alright!

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Dec 17, 2003 4:11 PM

Bong, I still got a long way to catch up with ya brah! Still get da Trader Vics I looked at a cople a yeras ago? You definantly have some trading material!

Laney, I'm going to use some of da info you wen gave me fo wen I put da mugs on ebay if you don't mind! Plenty Tanks a'gen !!

Nice mugs Gecko! Great score.
Maybe these could inspire a new carving...?
Aloha,
:tiki:

K

Hey Gecko saw the mug on ebay now its gone. You ruined all my fun of watching the price skyrocket(ha). Oh well maybe on the next one. Great find!

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2004 9:26 AM

My bad braddah K, I post it then I chickend out. I really would rather trade for other rare mugs. I don't really need the money.

Only have 2 left. If you have something you feel thats equal in trade shoot me a PM

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2004 10:50 AM

I sed, F-it. Let me see atleast what someone is willing to pay for this mug so I put it back on. Hopefully someone else besides Laney will have even more info such as what restaurant it was used at if they spot it on ebay. Laney I used some of your text......MOST of your helpfull info to put it up.

Pages: 1 11 replies