Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The 1000th post in Beyond Tiki......Your favorite "Hawaiian" style shirt

Pages: 1 26 replies

8T

Hello All. I just happened to notice that this will be the 1000th thread in this discussion area. Not that that is important of course.

This topic may have been done to death but in case not or if you never have shown your shirts to anyone, how about posting a cool photo? Just the shirt, or you wearing the shirt. Have fun. I am sure many of you have a tough decision to make picking just one so don't consider that as a rule. Show us your best. I'll put a photo on later.

Here I am with my Grandaughter (I'm the 1 in the Hawaiian shirt):

K
Klas posted on Sat, Dec 20, 2003 8:36 AM

Nothing that special but I like it. Made in Hawaii with coconut buttons and matching pocket.

B

My favourite Aloha Shirt is the one that comes in 4X Extra Tall. Kinda cuts down on my choices.

E

Here it is, my Reyn Spooner "Voodoo Mugs", with lots of Trader Vic's mugs, it kills me!

em

K
Klas posted on Sat, Dec 20, 2003 3:45 PM

Speaking of Reyn Spooner, I think Elvis' Blue Hawaii aloha shirt is very nice:

well here are a couple of my shirts. the red one is a duke of hollywood. if you notice the sparkly stuff that is in the print it is actually gold paint that is handpainted onto the shirt to accent the flowers.

now this one is a jac shirt meant to go with hollywood waist pants. it is an iolani shirt made in hawaii. couldnt resist the embroidered tiki on the hidden pocket.

both shirts are probably from the fifties. anyone else like vintage shirts?

:drink:

wowsers....digging that elvis shirt!

here is a little favorite of mine. i think it is supposed to be a men's shirt, but i wear it anyway. the buttons are wood and are column-like. the print is sorta tropical/tiki-esque. and of course, it is an artvogue which is one of the neatest vintage brands out there. i think it is late 40's or early 50's.

ahhh...now i just need some sunshine and a maitai...

emspaces shirt is my favourite !!
He's the winner !!! :wink:

Can someone post some adresses where I can buy such nice Hawaiian Shirts.
Thanks,
"Smokin DeviL" Chris

E

Thanx devil - it's almost too obviously an attempt to appeal to guys like me, but yeah, how can you not love it?

I like the Elvis and the artvogue a lot too. Possible prediction for 2004 - people swapping shirts on TC?

Reyn Spooner is at: http://www.reyns.com/cgi/showitem.pl?ProductId=10000&template=../reyns.htm Enjoy!

em.

K
Klas posted on Sun, Dec 21, 2003 3:38 AM

Couldn't find the Elvis Blue Hawaii shirt on Reyn Spooner's site but it's available from Memphis Gold Inc.

S

I like the Hukilau label. I started looking for certain obvious reasons, but then I bought for the bright colors and the somewhat mod designs.

this isn't the most up-to-date or flattering photo, but it shows me in my favourite shirt in a great place to be wearing it (Jardin Tiki in Montreal Canada)

When oh when is someone going to reproduce the "big lip fish" classic underwater aloha shirt? I just don't have the $800 plus to get an original.

Velvet Ruby - that's a really cool pic! I don't know why you seem uptight about it. I really like the Reyn Spooner shirts myself. I wish I had a few more.

Very nice everybody.....here are a couple of my favorites......Napili-Hawaii

Mrs. Fury thinks this is more African, but I think more Headhunter/New Guinea.....what do you think?

Kinda looks like he is wearing a fez and holding a mug.....

From The Broadway

8T

OK, since I started this subject I need to follow through with my promise to show a couple of my shirts.
First is my favorite thrift store shirt.
I like the design which reminds me of the vintage Matson Line menus and travel posters.
If you look closely you can see portions of a clipper airplane on the collar. There are lots of South seas images all over including palms, outriggers, huts and lovely ladies.

The next shirt is one that I just received today as a Christmas gift from my dear wife.
It is a beautiful new KALAHEO from Hawaii.
I love it because it is covered with vintage Hawaiiana icons and images. Tiki mugs,hula lamps, lighters etc. Notice the high quality of assembly. They placed the pocket where the material cut for the pocket itself matches up exactly instead of how many other shirts are done by just using any scrap of the same material and stitching it on. Sometimes even upside down. The dark brown Kona image is very similar to the picture on page 101 of The Book Of Tiki which shows The Luau in Beverly Hills. I can't wait to wear this at our New Years eve luau.

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2003-12-25 21:33 ]

Here are a few shirts which I am favoring right now...

Vintage Hawaiian Holiday

Vintage Harris and Frank

Kilaeua Vintage Reproduction

Aloha,
:tiki:

On 2003-12-25 21:28, 8FT Tiki wrote:
First is my favorite thrift store shirt.
I like the design which reminds me of the vintage Matson Line menus and travel posters.

I think the "Utility" label is a brand from Tar-Zhay. Who knew? 8)

They placed the pocket where the material cut for the pocket itself matches up exactly instead of how many other shirts are done by just using any scrap of the same material and stitching it on. Sometimes even upside down.

As a PWS (Person Who Sews), I agree this is a mark of quality! It requires quite a bit of excess fabric to find a pocket piece with the matching pattern. You'll see this detail on all Reyn Spooner shirts.

E

Hey bongofury - anything with petroglyphs - WAY cool. And I think the other is Polynesian too. Those birds look like terns or frigatebirds, that's my rationale.

aloha,
em

A

Shelley collects shirts and Muu-Muus. Here are a few of my favorites

These first two are Iolani. On the blue shirt notice the lace inserts and the tiki embroidery.

This is one sweet shirt

I think Vintage Girl would look great in this. What do you think Atomic?

A womens shirt with Mandarin Collar and no sleeves.
These are just a few I'll post more later.
Mahalo,
Al

Al (& Shelly of course!),

That first picture is a cool wedding shirt.

P.S. Wish I was suckin' em up at the Lagoon Room right now.

M

Try:

http://www.hulaheaven.net

http://www.avantishirts.com

Two of the very best in my opinion.

Matt

On 2003-12-20 17:50, smokin devil wrote:
emspaces shirt is my favourite !!
He's the winner !!! :wink:

Can someone post some adresses where I can buy such nice Hawaiian Shirts.
Thanks,
"Smokin DeviL" Chris

Damn, I am just realizing that there are threads in BEYOND TIKI that should be in the main or collecting forums, like this one.

As Al and Shelley and some of you know, my next project AFTER the Witco book is entitled "The LOOK of Tiki" and will concentrate on Tiki shirts and patterns in modernist abstract 60s and 70s style, which has been shamefully neglected in the other, more "nostalgic" Aloha shirt books out there so far.
Bongofury, your blue one is the best example for what I like. And the brown one is great, I have two with Tikis with that concept, and I have seen more, but never this one, which shows a Solomon Islands canoe prow head.

I will call on all of you once I am ready to go forward with my project!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-02-07 12:21 ]

M

Here's a couple of my faves:

[ Edited by: mattfink on 2004-02-07 18:26 ]

[ Edited by: mattfink on 2004-02-09 11:18 ]

Bigbrotiki-

your opinion matches mine to a tee.

On 2004-02-07 12:17, bigbrotiki wrote:...
my next project AFTER the Witco book is entitled "The LOOK of Tiki" and will concentrate on Tiki shirts and patterns in modernist abstract 60s and 70s style,...Bongofury, your blue one is the best example for what I like. And the brown one is great,... [ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-02-07 12:21 ]

I have focused on abstract print rather than the flora and fawna of tropical attire, with these being my two favorite:

Kaikamahine - Honolulu abstract print

and Kona Kai by Jantzen

both found in the wilds of Bloomington, Indiana

Here's one of my favorites:

Made on the islands by RJC ltd. My father picked it up on one of his many "business trips" to Hawaii.
Keep those pictures coming - this is a cool thread!
*edited 'cause I put "url" instead of "img" to imbed...DOH!

"Hey! Careful, man! There's a beverage!" - The Dude

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-02-09 10:10 ]

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-02-09 10:11 ]

Pages: 1 26 replies