Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Orange Curacao-VS-Blue

Pages: 1 12 replies

B

Now I know that both the Orange and Blue are interchangeable, so when given the choice of only buying one, I went with the Blue. But now that I'm going to such pains as to be making TRUE Mai-Tais for my Wife and Guests, even though they really don't care, the fact that I'm using Blue bugs me. So, I head to my local Hootch Store, only to find they are out of stock. But from the shelf label I notice it's twice as much as the Blue. So, on my way home from work I check in NH, and they are also out of stock, and again, the price is twice as much as the Blue.
So first of all, why the Orange shortage, and secondly, if they really are the same, with the exeption of some Blue Dye, why the huge price difference?

P

I get a headache from the blue stuff.
When trying to educate bartenders on tropical drinks it seems that's the only kind of curacao they have.

I'm sure it could be just a neurosis.
Ever since the smurfs, the color blue makes me wretch.

i'm sure you could just as easily use triple sec or Cointreau. Bols makes a damn fine triple sec. just about any will really do. don't pick the cheapest stuff, a medium priced one will do the trick. Cointreau is a truly superb orange liquor. in ten years of bartending that's the only one i use.
cheers and aloha
diesel tiki

i'm sure you could just as easily use triple sec or Cointreau. Bols makes a damn fine triple sec. just about any will really do. don't pick the cheapest stuff, a medium priced one will do the trick. Cointreau is a truly superb orange liquor. in ten years of bartending that's the only one i use.
cheers and aloha
diesel tiki

S

They are the same price here. I don't know why they are different there. Maybe you didn't notice the amounts on the shelf label were twice the size and without the bottles to compare, you didn't notice. They should be the same. I go for the orange and can add food color to get the blue in a drink if I want.

T

Orange Curacao, Triple Sec, and Cointreau do taste different and although one could substitute one for another it would not be a true Mai Tai if using triple sec or Cointreau. Trader Vic did change the brand of Curacao from DuKuyper to Bols because he liked it better, but the original recipe always had orange Curacao. Triple sec would be cheaper (which seems to be the goal for badmojo) but it would taste more sweet and less dry and bitter). Cointreau is a wonderful liquor in many cocktails but it may be too complex in a Mai Tai, and it is definitely more expensive than Curacao.

If one drink needs to be as close to the orginal as possible the Mai Tai is that drink - it's the iconic drink of the whole Tiki bar era, and so many bartenders have messed it up in the past to the point that it didn't even taste close to the original.

badmojo, I realize that orange Curacao may be hard to get in some places but it can be purchased online (including the Bols brand that Trader Vic preferred). Check these out (a whole Liter can be had for as low as $7.36!):
http://www.liquorama.net/product.asp?0=200&1=208&3=18552
http://www.internetwines.com/rws19265.html

Tiki bar rule one: don't mess with the Mai Tai.

B

On 2003-12-21 12:31, thejab wrote:
Triple sec would be cheaper (which seems to be the goal for badmojo)

Not my goal at all! Hell, I don't care what I end up paying, I just found it Damn odd that the 2 stores I shop from were completely cleaned out. I mean, I know it's Christams, but are people REALLY giving gifts of Orange Curacao? I'm not being cheap by any means, it seems strange that they are charging 50% more to NOT dye the Curacao..lol

D

Hello I am looking for measurements for a drink i recently had in Curacao called Santorini Sangria. I got the ingredients however they did not have the measurements posted. The ingredients are White Wine, Orange Curacao, Pineapple Juice, Ginger Beer, and Mango Flavor. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

On 2003-12-21 14:10, badmojo wrote:
...it seems strange that they are charging 50% more to NOT dye the Curacao.

The orange color is artificial, too. I even have a partial bottle of red curacao, that I've had for at least 20-odd years. And, orange and blue are priced the same, here in Dallas, too, FWIW.

I can't comment on the price difference: Nobody in my entire province carries orange curacao, so when I know someone going to the US, I have to beg with them to bring me back a bottle or two. That being the case, mai-tais made with orange curacao are a bit of a delicacy and reserved for only my very favourite guests. Most of my mai-tais have an odd green tinge due to the blue curacao (I just call them "Venusian Mai-Tais" or something equally ridiculous), but they taste just the same. I mean exactly the freaking same. If you must use blue, turn off the lights, serve in a non-see-through glass and call it a day. Or put a twist on the name and tell people although it looks unconventional you actually have stumbled across a far superior tasting recipe. After 3 or 4 of them, nobody is going to judge you.

when I first began making Mai Tai's, i also only had blue curacao.

called'em "blue Mai Tai's.."

chicks dig blue Mai Tai's...

On 2011-09-06 18:12, thePorpoise wrote:
" ...chicks dig blue Mai Tai's..."

But if your blue Mai Tai lasts for more than four hours, please call your doctor.

On 2011-09-06 20:56, Limbo Lizard wrote:

On 2011-09-06 18:12, thePorpoise wrote:
" ...chicks dig blue Mai Tai's..."

But if your blue Mai Tai lasts for more than four hours, please call your doctor.

Just saw this classic response... Had to bump this thread and follow up with my seal of approval. >=Approved=<

Pages: 1 12 replies