Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Attention Bay Area Peeps & Creeps: Luau on Saturday Aug 24!!

Pages: 1 36 replies

Ok babies, I'm making it official:
Make sure your calender is set for Saturday Aug 24th. Good food, good drink & good folks. (& not neccessarily in that order)
Hope to see you locals!
I am speaking to Randy/Aquarj about possibly making it a mini-crawl between both our pads since I recently moved to his area. Stay tuned for more details!
If you think you might make it, drop me an email at [email protected] so I know how to plan. Thanks!
**also, I'm having a garage sale tomorrow where I am selling a rattan/bamboo bar & stool among other things. (email me for the address)

T

Um, where would this be? The "bay area" is rather large. Petaluma? Cupertino? Walnut Creek?

Tiki-bot

Yeah, where the heck is this party?
my bad:
The party is in Belmont on the peninsula.
I will post more details such as time, ect as it unfolds....

Ok here's the deal kids:
I spoke to aquarj last night & we are on!
Tentatively here is the schedule:
5-7pm cocktails at aquarj's swingin pad
7pm-on coctails/snacks at my place. (served in tiki mugs of course!)
randy is working on a groovy digital invite with all the info & will post a copy on this thread.
my address to get an idea where we are:
830 Alameda De Las Pulgas
Belmont, ca

• 2 blocks north of Ralston ave
    I'm hoping you locals on tiki central can make it!
    c'mon let's start seeing some replies for crying out loud!!!

Hey, I'm there!! Any tiki party is a good tiki party!! :)
Thanks for throwing it- and just to help get people even more interested- remember that if you go you'll be able to see Randy's huge tiki from the Lanai, and his great art collection, including a few original Shags!!

T

I have non tiki-inclined company coming into town that weekend. Rats. :(

[ Edited by: TikiMel on 2002-08-14 11:19 ]

T

Count me in.

A

Great! I'm glad a couple people can come, and I hope the list grows! Tonight I wanna post from home with a little invite with the info for both stops on the 8/24 Belmont nite.

Unfortunately, a couple of the Shag paintings Mike tikihula referred to will be absent on the 24th - they'll be on loan to the Brea Gallery for his retrospective mentioned in another thread. But lots of other fun stuff will be available for your visual and aural consumption! And a diverse bar, albeit with an inept resident mixologist (me).

-Randy

Can't make it.... I'll be out of town :(

~Hanford

A

Hi everyone, here's the invite for our Belmont tiki nite on August 24!

You can reach me separately at [email protected] if you need directions to my part, the "Mediterranean Avenue" of the evening from 5-7p. Please come on out, see the Lanai tiki, have a beverage, and enjoy the view!

-Randy

right on looks great randy!

I really look forward to meeting mike/tikihula & seeing dean/jab again.......
i am bummed hanford, martin & tikimel cant make it!!
hanford, will we EVER see you again? you are becoming mysterious & elusive!
But where are the rest of you?:
mig?
the smiley's?
fonduie- i have not yet met youie!
cpt. midnight?
tiki-bot?
i reckon i'm leaving many out, but you know who you are.....c'mon out!!

T

Great looking invitation, Randy !!! I hate that I won't be there!! :cry:

Where did you find the tiny little moai and shecky pieces???

A

Thanks TikiMel! You'll have to come next time.

Those little pieces were both gifts actually (they're necklace pendants). But I believe both were made by http://www.eldoradoclub.net. I think TikiFarm and others sell their stuff too.

-Randy

M

Randy, you are the Photoshop master! Looks great. Very bummed to be missing it.

I think Hanford has become Howard Hughes, and now walks around in Kleenex boxes with long fingernails and wild hair, controlling his empire from a secluded lair deep within the mountains of San Mateo.

-martin

Yeah it's a shame to be missing this... Randy's house is amazing and not to be missed! Everyone in the bay area should do their best to make it to this!

~Hanford

T

Thanks for the info, Randy. I see they also have the Sands and Stardust... VERY kewl!!

Thanks, Hanford. Rub it in! :P I'll definitely catch the next one. I'm actually trying to think of creative, yet convincing, ways to dump my out-of-town guests for a couple of hours...

[ Edited by: TikiMel on 2002-08-15 20:47 ]

On 2002-08-15 20:46, TikiMel wrote:
Thanks, Hanford. Rub it in!

I'm going to be missing it too! :cry:

F

Wow, I'm within walking distance of your place Jon! I'm in San Carlos at Laurel and Oak. Whadda trip, huh?
But it's still up in the air if I can make it to the shin-dig. I have tentative plans to go on a road trip that weekend. We'll see though.

T

martiki6 wrote:

I think Hanford has become Howard Hughes, and now walks around in Kleenex boxes with long fingernails and wild hair, controlling his empire from a secluded lair deep within the mountains of San Mateo.

Sounds pretty close :)

F

I went ahead and tweaked my schedule so I can indeed make it to the festivities. Please count me in.

Right on shannon!
That is so cool that you're within stumbling distance!!

Well, I wish I could say the same....last night I was hit with the realization that I mistakenly booked two engagements next Saturday night, and unfortunately the other engagement takes precedence. I'm so sorry for the mixup and that I'll miss the excellent tiki party!! :(
Have a great time and I'll definitely see all of you next month at Martin's place!

Okay- we are counting down to the Belmont mini-crawl on saturday......& the amount of tiki central kids is kind of "mini" also!
WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU LOCALS HIDING??
I have recieved regrets so far from Hanford, Martiki, Mig, TikiMel, Tikihula & Midnite.

So far the only locals that have replied positively are the Jab & Fonduie, Penny & Blaine & thats about it...WHAT THE HELL??!!
Where are CynfulCynner, the Smileys, Tiki-bot, Kingslod & the rest?
YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, come out & play!!

T

Just to confirm that I'm coming with my pal Jeff and maybe another friend so it won't be too quiet!

yeah baby!
look forward seeing you again Dean!

On 2002-08-22 17:28, bigbadtikidaddy wrote:

WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU LOCALS HIDING??

Where are CynfulCynner, the Smileys, Tiki-bot, Kingslod & the rest?

I already told Randy/Aquarj I was coming -- did I forget to tell you? :-?

M

As much as I hate personal posts, here is one: Mr smiley will be at both events!

A

Yes, if any last minute folks can make it on Sat, please feel free. Wind and weather permitting, I'll put one of the big green Bomboras heads out by the garage for drive-by recognition.

Also glad to hear from those who already RSVP'd. Remember, even if you have evening plans, my doors are open at 5pm and then BBTDaddy's at 7pm, so it's possible to have your cake and eat it too!

-Randy

Right on, that's more like it!
Things are shaping up nicely!
I hope the weather is good, I wanted to put the bar out on the deck.....but it's raining today!!
Pray for a heat wave tomorrow folks!

On 2002-08-22 17:28, bigbadtikidaddy wrote:
the amount of tiki central kids is kind of "mini" also!

Sometimes... the mini tiki gatherings are the best of all. We had a huge tiki blowout a few weeks back... but it was the quiet hang afterwards with just a few tiki centralites that i remember most fondly :)

much luck on the crawl you guys... you got me inspired to do something like that in our neighborhood!

T

Pictures.. c'mon... I want pictures....

How'd it go guys???

Ok, I know I needed at LEAST a day to recover & collect my thoughts before posting anything.
Had an awesome time!!
My thanks to the tiki central kids for making the scene helping make a memorable time! I hope y'all had fun as well.
My house still has the faint smell of pineapple even as I write this!
I am bummed because I actually missed Randy's part of the evening since I was at my place prepping stuff & getting my tiny house ready for the onslaught!
A few key people didnt show up with a few key ingredients, like ...ICE!! So people were showing up & had to wait a bit before drinks were served. That kind of threw off my planning, plus I should've just made a rum punch instead of trying to blend EVERY single drink.....
Sure, we ran out of food & eventually RUM (zoiks!), but there was plenty of other booze on hand.
ah well, live & learn! We made due with what we had & I was saying goodbye to my last guests at about 3:30 am! Everone kept gravitating toward the "smoker's lounge" in the basement & that is where we wrapped up the night. (choke!)
AND only one tiki mug broke, so that wasnt too bad! I only wish I took more photos, but I was too busy "living it"!
If anyone wants to post or send me any pics of the evening I would REALLY appreciate it!
[email protected]
cheers!
t-daddy

whoops, gotta revise that:
TWO tiki mugs broke! (waah!)
1 harvey's hula mug & 1 Dukes, Kaui.
Oh well, it's not a party unless something breaks!
How sad that I didnt finish washing all the mugs til last night!
hmm, is anyone else gonna post their review?

T

I was so busy last weekend I didn't have time to read tiki central until yesterday so I'm just catching up.

I had a great time at both parties! Highlights:
Randy's (aquarj) punch from Intoxica, and his art collection; Naomi's cherry tomatoes stuffed with lomi lomi salmon and macadamia nut biscuits; bigbadtikidaddy's selection of mugs for drinking from (some I wish I had in my collection), and his wild friends that were already pretty lit up when I arrived from Randy's. I left early at 10 to catch the Saturn V at Club Deluxe.

Mahalo to both hosts! Sorry, I didn't bring a camera so I have no pics to share.

F

First of all I would like to thank our two gracious hosts. The company, the libations, and the tiki's made for a terrific night.

If any Tiki Centralites out there get the chance to visit either home they should definitely do so. i was very impressed.

Thanks again!

A

Thanks to the people who came for the nice comments about my place - hope to do it again sometime. Finally catching up with some photos this weekend, but unfortunately I only have a couple to post from the party.

From left: cynful, aquarj(me), Monica, Jeff, thejab, Naomi, fonduie

Naomi's lomi lomi salmon cherry tomatoes, on an old TVics plate. Also her macadamia nut biscuits on the red plate.

-Randy

Pages: 1 36 replies