Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Just when you think you've seen it all ...

Pages: 1 31 replies

This one really got me, and I'm not sure how to classify it ...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-6928591-9956609?asin=B00008W6QS

Years and years ago, the people of Easter Island used up all their resources to build these giant statues to please their God, King, their Society, etc. They basically destroyed themselves and their island building these statues. They ran out of food and trees, their men were stolen by South Americans and put into slavery, some fought their way back to Easter Island………all so they can have their one prized possession, the thing they basically killed themselves over, be made into a degrading looking Kleenex holder. Kinda bothers me.

I have often pondered the thought about how we take pictures of other cultures Gods and put them on mugs, menus, etc. I usually get over it since most of the tikis we treasure are fake and made up. But this Easter Island one bothers me. Having Kleenex hanging out of his nose is not cool in my mind.

But hey, this is coming from the same guy who puts his cigar ashes out in a tiki ashtray, so what do I know, huh.

Erich

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt on 2003-12-21 12:21 ]

I don't know what's worse.. the fact that the tissue is coming out of its nose.. or the fact that they sell them at target.

T

Oh my I have one of those. But I have no idea where it is? You just reminded me it must be in a box in the storage room somewhere... my brother bought it for me in Japan.

I just got one this morning as a Christmas present. shhhh, i don't really like it......The Easter Island Moai's are much more noble then that.

This will go perfect with my KU bobble head and my neon plastic Holy Trinity dashboard confessional (sorry for the religious reference Hanford...but it is Christmas gosh darnit).

Jesus Christ (and not in a religious way), don't put up the bullshit about "oh, I can't believe they did this to a religious icon", as you drink out of your Moai mug.

Pretentious posers.

Cheers!

On 2003-12-25 19:26, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Pretentious posers.

Thats the Bong we all know and love, Give em hell Bong!!!

a-a-A-CHOO!

Well then.........why don't we have Moai toilet paper holders that you can pull the tissues right out their ass. That's real attractive. This is right up there with it. No class.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." Lou Whitaker

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-12-25 23:13 ]

Oh no!!
I just wiped my ASS with my TIKI toity paper.
Pretenclasnoposer

On 2003-12-25 19:26, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Jesus Christ (and not in a religious way), don't put up the bullshit about "oh, I can't believe they did this to a religious icon", as you drink out of your Moai mug.

Pretentious posers.

Interesting use of a blasphemous statement while deriding someones pondering a possible blasphemy...

Interesting... Have another drink, and get a Kleenex...

If you were referring to my post:

Perhaps Mr Bong and a few others, missed the closing statement of my "ponder" when I stated the following.......

"But hey, this is coming from the same guy who puts his cigar ashes out in a tiki ashtray, so what do I know, huh."

Read to the end of people's posts. Just a suggestion.

If I had one of those Moai tissue dispensers, I'd diplay it, I just wouldn't put kleenex in it.

Erich

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt on 2003-12-25 23:42 ]

On 2003-12-25 23:33, ErichTroudt wrote:

Perhaps Mr Bong and a few others, missed the closing statement of my "ponder" when I stated the following.......

"But hey, this is coming from the same guy who puts his cigar ashes out in a tiki ashtray, so what do I know, huh."

If I had one of those Moai tissue dispensers, I'd diplay it, I just wouldn't put kleenex in it.

Erich

I wonder if you could hook up a smoke machine to it, and have smoke pour out of his nostrils? Or make him and incense burner for the same effect?

Blasphemy, maybe, but then if you've seen the video for Monster Magnet's "Face Down" video, you'll know I've got few problems with blasphemy...

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

On 2003-12-25 23:33, ErichTroudt wrote:

Erich

Mr Trout,

After being on the board for more time than you've been aware of this new ultra-cool fad called 'tiki', I think I've read to the end of more than one posts. But thanks for the tip. Hey, how's you collection of vintage Tiki Farm mugs?

Mr Trout,

After being on the board for more time than you've been aware of this new ultra-cool fad called 'tiki', I think I've read to the end of more than one posts. But thanks for the tip. Hey, how's you collection of vintage Tiki Farm mugs?

Mr Bong. Your welcome for my tip. Hope it works out for you. As far as my "awareness" of Tiki, you should really not speak on the subject since you don't know me. I was around on the old school board yahoo board, (as I'm sure you were right) and I've been collecting a long time. Here's a link to my backyard, in case I need to prove my "awareness" to you or anyone else.
http://www.geocities.com/erichtroudt/

I'll be letting this go now for the sake of not getting off-topic, flaming on the board, or ruining this thread. Hopefully you'll do the same.

Erich

Ps. my tiki farm mugs are great. All 3 of them. They sit proudly on the shelf with my 2 trader vic Mai Tai joe originals, and roughly 100 other mugs. Thanks for asking about them.

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt on 2003-12-27 21:17 ]

On 2003-12-27 21:16, ErichTroudt wrote:

Ps. my tiki farm mugs are great. All 3 of them. They sit proudly on the shelf with my 2 trader vic Mai Tai joe originals, and roughly 100 other mugs. Thanks for asking about them.

What the fu#& is a trader vic Mai Tai joe original. You're not talking about my TEPCO Kava Bowl owned by and created by John Pagliero as a proto-type for Vic are you?

Mai Tai Joe is the real name for what most people refer to as "sufferin bastard". Black mug, hands on his head, has trader vic on the bottom, mostly made in the 1940's/50's.

Hope that clears it up.

Erich

T

Bong,
MaiTai Joe is the real name of the TV Suffering Bastard mug.

2 seconds too late

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-12-27 21:41 ]

Blame everything on "Level Orange"!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh ... it's a snot box with tissue coming out the nose. I didn't think it would be a cause of contention! I agree that it's in bad taste, but as far as being irreverent, it isn't much worse than an ashtray. I thought the idea of the one with toilet paper coming out the ass was hilarious! The pose of the Trader Vic's Suffering Bastard sprang immediately to mind. Anyone want to donate one to me so I can see if I can do a conversion job?!?

Hey, how's you collection of vintage Tiki Farm mugs?

Is there a problem with Tiki Farm mugs? Do they cause blindness? Will they lose the war for the allies? Curve your spine?

Anybody fearful of public humiliation for being discovered with Tiki Farm Mugs can feel free to send me theirs.

TG

Tiki Farm is great in my book. In fact, I can't wait until I get the rest of my order from the "It's all about the Tiki". I bought one of the 3 artists bowls, the Von Franco "Smokin Joe decantor set and a Von Franco "cockeyed tiki warrior" mug.

Erich

D

ok, i love that my friends buy me tiki stuff..but i just received my 4th Tiki Kleenex holder ~

anyone want to trade? something of equal weight would be fair..

elicia

T

like a good size rock?

On 2003-12-25 23:06, Jungle Trader wrote:
Well then.........why don't we have Moai toilet paper holders that you can pull the tissues right out their ass. That's real attractive. This is right up there with it. No class.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." Lou Whitaker

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-12-25 23:13 ]

Still searching for one. :D

C
Chub posted on Tue, Jul 19, 2005 2:05 PM

I got one of these from a friend this past Christmas. I like the idea someone had of hooking up a smoke machine to it's nose instead. Anyone have any ideas of how to easily do this?

On 2003-12-21 12:08, ErichTroudt wrote:
I have often pondered the thought about how we take pictures of other cultures Gods and put them on mugs, menus, etc. I usually get over it since most of the tikis we treasure are fake and made up. But this Easter Island one bothers me. Having Kleenex hanging out of his nose is not cool in my mind.
[ Edited by: ErichTroudt on 2003-12-21 12:21 ]

Just a recommendation: If you're ever in Seattle, stay far, far away from Archie McPhees.

P.S. That's one rocking back yard, Erich.

Pete's Annual Seattle Party: http://www.monkeyskull.net/party/

[ Edited by: monkeyskull 2005-07-20 00:33 ]

On 2005-07-18 19:54, dogbytes wrote:
ok, i love that my friends buy me tiki stuff..but i just received my 4th Tiki Kleenex holder ~

anyone want to trade? something of equal weight would be fair..

elicia

Maybe you could use them as decor, but not for tissues? I.e., mount them all on the wall together? Or stack them up vertically as the base of a small table? Use them as the supports for the corners of a bar? Or as supports for shelves?

T

Hi Erich--
Awesome hut in your backyard! I really liked the story of your new Tiki. Man, that's like finding a long-lost treasure! It is so kool to obtain something so neglected and then using it (or restoring it) as it was meant to be....glad you got it...persistence pays off!

Dave

RD

Love the hut in your backyard! Nice work. Especially like the door handles. I just passed up a large tiki fork/spoon set like that at an estate sale ($15, I think). Didn't even occur to me that I could mutilate them. Duh.

well done,
Joe

Pages: 1 31 replies