Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tiki or tikiish drinks with Sake?

Pages: 1 6 replies

A question for the mixologists. I recently received a sizable bottle of Sake. Can this be used as an ingredient for a tiki drink? Seriously.

i've had yummy sake martinis before. but if it's good stuff, it's probably best to drink it straight. warm sake on a cold winter night is very nice.

It's good stuff, but the bottle reccomends drinking it cold.

P

I have seen (and tried) two cocktails mixed with sake. The first is unnamed, or at least if it has a name I don't know what that is. Mix sake with plum wine at a 2:1 (sake:plum) ratio. This can be served either hot or cold.

The second is called a Purple Haze. Think of it as a sake martini. Use cold draft sake in place of vodka and Chambord liqueur in place of vermouth. That is, use just enough chambord to color the drink and give it a slight berry flavor.

Neither is necessarily "tiki", but they are cocktails that use sake. You might also try mixing it with a bit of parfait amour. Someone once asked me to invent a drink named a "Purple Miyigi", to be named after a guy (named Miyagi) that turned purple whenever he got mad or stressed, which apparently happened often. I recommended a mix of vodka, draft sake and pafait amour. I don't think anyone ever attempted making it, though.

I would recommend that you store the bottle in the refrigerator. Once the bottle has been opened, drink it within a couple of weeks. Much more then that and the oxidation will make it pretty nasty.

I prefer to drink it straight, but if you try out some cocktails, let us know what you think!

I think I'll save this particular bottle for my tiki party next summer. I will preview the sake concoctions a day or two earlier.

S

Ginger-Cucumber Sakè-tini (a Fuji & Jade Garden original)
Dry sakè, Cîroc and Bison Grass vodkas, ginger cordial… cucumber

Zen Sakè-tini (a Fuji & Jade Garden original)
Gekkeikan sakè, Japanese matcha green tea, citron vodka… twist

Lemon Ice Sakè-tini (a Fuji & Jade Garden original)
Dry and nigori sakes, fresh lemon sours, Licor-43... sugar rim

Coconut Crème Sakè-tini (a Fuji & Jade Garden riginal)
Nigori sakè, coconut milk, Godiva White… dark chocolate garnish

Peachy-Keen Sakè-tini (a Fuji & Jade Garden original)
Dry and nigori sakes, peach liqueur, Stoli Vanil, OJ, Pama (sinks)… sugar rim

Wintermute (a Fuji & Jade Garden original)
A short drink : Nigori sakè, violette, absinthe float, Peychaud’s bitters

Pages: 1 6 replies