Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Barkcloth sewing projects

Pages: 1 14 replies

Shelley made some cool sewing projects recently, so i thought I'd post 'em

Homemade barkcloth bedspread and pillow shams.

Reupholsterd pappasat chair in cotton tapa print, and she made the barkcloth curtains a couple years ago.

S

Very cool, Shelly.

Mahalo for sharing. You two are so talented!

Mele Kalikimaka,

Arty & Tina

I've seen with my own 2 (eyes) and they are cool.

(my daughter wishes she had a daddy that could make cool stuff like Al - brat!)

G
GECKO posted on Tue, Dec 23, 2003 2:41 PM

Dat is some bad ass sewing!

Guess wat!

I got my shirt yesterday afternoon! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post it if you have a pic! It's so ONO! You da bes Shelly! You got da skillz! fits great

Tanks

P

Nice work.

The Amber Love Goddess wants to know what "barkcloth" is. I told her it was made from dogs.

Love the tapa patterns too. That material looks very vintage.

D
H

What's the best place to find barkcloth locally? I'm going to need a bunch of it to make curtains for the new apartment. I've had fantastic luck buying barkcloth online, but I'd like to look in person this time. I've driven past a place on Pico called F & S Fabrics for the Home, does anyone know if they've got a decent barkcloth selection?

I've had the pleasure of seeing Shelley's sewing work in person, and it's swell! She's awfully lucky, she's able to sew out on her back patio in the summer, right next to the Lagoon Room, with a beautiful territorial view.

The best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed
The Humuhumu Room

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2003-12-23 16:09 ]

A

Amber Love God,
Barkcloth is a heavy weight cotton fabric with a rough weave that is used for upolstery. There is a lighter weight that can be used for clothing.

My connection for either type of barkcloth is The Fullbugs in Waikiki. They have a great website and the prices and selection are much better than most barkcloth I have been able to locate online.

http://www.hawaiianfabric.com/

Gecko,
I sent out that shirt before we had our new digital camera. (So I have no picture.) Please post a pic. Mahalo, Shelley

S
SES posted on Tue, Dec 23, 2003 5:14 PM

Rooms look fantastic!

Also, love that fabric link. Can TC set up a group/club on that?
:wink:

P

Thank you.
Angela just ordered us a gigantic bamboo-looking bed as we're doing our bedroom over in Polynesian High-style and she is now at the other computer checking out all of these links.

I think I can hear my credit card screaming.

Humuhumu wrote

What's the best place to find barkcloth locally?

Past thread about L.A. area stores that sell barkcloth...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4473&forum=1

I haven't made it to the store yet to check it out for myself, although I am sure the Atomic C. knows his stuff.

Atomic Cocktail wrote

Alen's Fabrics 829 South Wall Street.
(Wall just north of 9th) sells only Hawaiian print fabrics-213-622-4454

Also, try the shops in the building of the NW corner of 9th and Los Angeles (the one with the $1.00/yd store on the corner)

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-12-24 00:04 ]

And look at that, I'd even responded to his post! Silly memory. Thanks DawnTiki!

On 2003-12-23 16:22, Alnshely wrote:

My connection for either type of barkcloth is The Fullbugs in Waikiki. They have a great website and the prices and selection are much better than most barkcloth I have been able to locate online.

http://www.hawaiianfabric.com/

Thanks for the info, Al. I've a similarish chair to the one Shelley reupholstered, and I doubted I'd ever find an outlet for barkcloth over here.

From their website: "We can ship in up to ten yard increments to most countries for $9.00 U.S."
Not bad at all.

Trader Woody

Hey Shell o da Pacific! How bout makin' a lil' ol' loin cloth for mr. C'Al (aka APE) for the next Oasis???!!! He needed sumthin like that last year gettin all gidy wit dat stripper in the cage on the stage. Is there 60 grit bark cloth??

Wow! Between your carpentry, Al, and Shely's sewing skills, that's a double threat towards your already super awesome pad...I drew you up a Samoan club after Hukilau I need to knock out for you soon...

Pages: 1 14 replies