Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Stuff from my Hawaiiana Collection

Pages: 1 6 replies

here are some easily scanned things from my hawaiiana collection. enjoy:

& this is actually tahitian:

Duke Kahanamoku is a dreamboat!

Duke Kahanamoku was one of America's greatest athletes & brightest stars. Great stuff Chris.

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-12-23 22:26 ]

And he was yummy.

Tiki Chris, what's the story on that weird shirtmaker ad?

On 2003-12-23 22:21, Humuhumu wrote:

Tiki Chris, what's the story on that weird shirtmaker ad?

It's from THE POLYNESIAN, which was a magazine "issued at sea on board Matson Liners." I don't have a date but I'm guessing it's pre-fifties. It appears to be a joke ad, but I honestly don't know.

It seems to be a pretty good example of a considerably less PC time. & it offers a glimpse into the sort of goofy exotic expectations that passengers aboard a liner to Hawaii thought they might have in store.

Anyway, that scan's a bit fuzzy. Here's what the ad says(misspellings etc. are intentional):

MUSA-SHIYA
THE SHIRTMAKER
(Also kimonomake, pajamamake & Dry good sell)

I hope you have a good healths today. Then if you came Honolulu I was glad your kindly purchase very often me. I was possetion the supreme works to shirt, kimono, pajama, robe, Japanese clothes, etc. and etc. One my friend shis propritor owned silk mill Japan, I had anything very cheaply. Also Japanese rarely curious sell. Then I fell hanpy at the time you came until my shap Honolulu. By your utmost confidence I am now your highly attentions at the directing find its.

Until find shap, small obscured places, please until become fish market North King Streets makai sides. Pass away. Then little more River nice sign look my shap nambers 179 between this place.

I hope your favorable majesty my shap.

This time paper no more. Maybe tomorrow emit somethings also. Sayonara.

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-12-24 06:14 ]

K

Humuhumu,

MUSA-SHIYA was one of the original and probably most famous (besides Duke's lines)aloha shirt makers. His ad's cleverly used pigeon english of the island to entice customers to buy his exotic wares. The is a great detailed story about him in the Aloha shirt Book alos available at Paradise on a Hanger

Scotty

thanks for the info scotty! wow.

Pages: 1 6 replies