Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Munktiki QC?

Pages: 1 8 replies

I'm a fairly frequent buyer at Munktiki, and often buy their mugs as gifts. No doubt I have been impressed with their quality. This last round I bought a couple of mugs and got a skull mug that was so worn down on the back that you can't read the word "Skull". Obviously I'm dissapointed, but since it's a gift to a non-tiki conoseur I let it slide.

As collectors, would you have returned it, or sucked it up and dealt with it.

If you really have a problem with the mug, I'm sure the super duper duo (Paul and Stuckie) would exchange it for you. I have been buying Munktiki's mugs for quite some time and I can honestly say I have NEVER had a problem. It's not too often that one is lucky enough to deal with a company that seems to care about the customers and NOT the bottom line. Maybe because I have had such a great experience with them, I would say "suck it up".

I bought the skull mug from Munktiki recentely and know what you are saying, I believe that mold is done. That said I own about 50 Munktiki mugs and this is the only dissapointment, if it's that. I think maybe he pushed that mold a tad far, but that is most unusual for them. Also I bet you a bottle of rum that if you call Paul or Stuckie they will refund or replace with a smile. I'm keeping mine. Munktiki is about the coolest gig going I reckon.

Yeah, I guess they are like limited edition prints, the lower the number the better the quality. The recipients were thrilled with them. That's all that matters.

P

I can add another data point on this...

I recently ordered, among other things two more Super Tiki Deluxes (one for me, one for a present) since I was so impressed with my original one.

It turns out that there is a marked difference between a mug with in the 100's and a mug in the 400's! The lesser sharpness in the features I chalked up to the mold getting worn out. That was a big difference when I had the two mugs side-by-side, but if you didn't, the later mug was of acceptable quality.

The other difference I noted was that the later mugs were heavier. The ceramic was thicker, as if they slip had been let set in the mold longer. Those 400 series mugs could be used as a murder weapon! That's a good news / bad news situation, since I'm assuming that makes them all the harder to break.

[ Edited by: Philot on 2004-01-05 10:16 ]

T

I've noticed alot of the new Munktiki mugs are a bit heavier as well. The Exotica2003 and the Imports are both pretty thick. I don't think that the thickness would have helped my Johnny LTD. when he took a 7 foot dive last year, but they do feel more durable.

I've got nothing but excellent things to say about the operation over at Munktiki. Those guys are tip-top in my book.

They have always rocked in my book.

O

all have been winners, and thoroughly tested for leaks.

Pages: 1 8 replies