Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Kalani: Licor de Coco - What is This?

Pages: 1 9 replies

I got a bottle of Kalani for Xmas. It's a "licor de coco" (20% alcohol/volume) which is "hecho en Mexico." I'm pretty sure my friend picked it up when he went to Mexico.

It comes in a funky bottle adorned w/ shells & beads, rope & leather & fibrous tassels on top.

Does anybody know anything about this stuff? Has anybody ever had it? Is it good? Cheap? Best straight or in cocktails?

I'm done a few internet searches - nothing!

S
SES posted on Sat, Dec 27, 2003 1:39 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 09:11 ]

actually, i'm pretty sure coco means coconut & as atrocious as my spanish is, i got that the stuff was made in mexico.

S
SES posted on Sat, Dec 27, 2003 8:27 PM

one way to find out for sure...
:D

T

chug! chug! chug!

I just stumbled across a bottle of Kalani. Anybody have any info on it?

P

Yes, this is a coconut liqueur. Really cool bottle, and not a bad liqueur, either.

Very enjoyable. Has a sincere coconut flavor and not cloying like Malibu. Good for sipping after a fine meal. And I thank Pihirho for introducing me to this fine spirit. Mahalo.

-Weird Unc

Thank you. I am going to have to try it in a cocktail I have been trying to perfect since a visit to Costa Rica. Sounds like it will be a perfect fit.

Yeah, we've got a bottle of it, too. The smell of it is a bit on the chem side, but it been a fine mixing liquor. We've used it in substitute for coco lopez, and it makes for a decent, interesting variation most of the time.

Pages: 1 9 replies