Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What you can do w/Christmas tree

Pages: 1 16 replies

Can you carve it into a small tiki or tiki pole?

Burn it!

Next weekend is the annual "Bamboo Ben Tree Burn." If any of you (besides the TC Ohana "Circle Club") want to join us, we'll be somewhere in H.B.. Just look for the biggest fire! Burn!!!!! Allready have 25 trees!

Our condo forbids real christmas trees... we were going to be rebels and get one anyway, then we realized it was almost christmas and we were about to go to Detroit for most of the holiday... I was torn between practicality (why get a tree when you'll hardly be around) and sentimentality... so I went down to the storage room and grabbed all my Xmas gear, and brought it up to the 29th floor...

we ended up wrapping our concrete load bearing pole in lights and ornaments, and chrsitened it the XUCD - The 'Extreme Urban Christmas Device.'

Pictures if requested...

B

On 2003-12-28 22:42, tikifish wrote:
Pictures if requested...

OK, you peaked my interest...let's see 'em.

T

Beholde the XUCD(tm) - THE EXTREME URBAN CHRISTMAS DEVICE!

Cool!
Reminds me of Festivus.

-Z

"A Festivus for the restofus"

B

Ah yes...Festivus. The pole seems to gain a little girth each year.

That is the best XUCD I've ever seen tikifish!

[ Edited by: bamzeno on 2003-12-29 22:13 ]

S

Excellent! And looks very nice next to the tulip table and chairs!

L
laney posted on Tue, Dec 30, 2003 4:40 PM

On 2003-12-28 22:42, tikifish wrote:
Our condo forbids real christmas trees...

I'm shocked you, and many here don't have aluminum trees!
Here's my small 4' tree with most of my vintage and special glass ornaments. No glass tikis but lots of fish and if you look close at the bottom of the second pic you can see the mermaid riding a dolphin.

I also have a 6' aluminum tree with red glass tips. That tree ususally has all my cheesy plastic ornaments on it. I only did the one tree this year. It'll be out next year though.

F

Ahhh, the simple pleasures of an aluminum Christmas tree. I recently saw a vintage one that came with a color wheel that was meant to shine on it.

Your photo's are too cool guys. Thanks.

T

I'll probably pick up an aluminum one eventually - next year for sure!

Right now I just spent my fun money (60 bucks) on 2 more tulip chairs, thanks to the magic of 'Buy It Now' on Ebay!

S

Aluminum Xmas trees are awesome. We stumbled across a really nice one complete with color wheel last year. It was our main Xmas tree this year, along with our vintage white vinyl tree, which is smaller (about 3.5 feet tall).

Here's a shot of the white tree last year with all vintage ornaments:

This year we put all the vintage ornaments on the aluminum tree and put all blue and aqua repro ornaments on the white one. Both looked great, but I somehow failed to take pics of them this year!

D

Laney, is your tree in a spinning musical Christmas tree stand? I can't wait till I get an aluminum tree to use my musical rotating stand with, it's not the same when it is missing the tree :P Nice trees everyone!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-12-30 20:58 ]

L
laney posted on Wed, Dec 31, 2003 3:55 AM

On 2003-12-30 20:49, DawnTiki wrote:
Laney, is your tree in a spinning musical Christmas tree stand? I can't wait till I get an aluminum tree to use my musical rotating stand with, it's not the same when it is missing the tree :P Nice trees everyone!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-12-30 20:58 ]

Yes it is! I love it because it sounds like an old music box. It turns and plays so it's easy to decorate. You'll also notice the color wheel behind santa. In one pic it is green and another it is red (hard to capture on camera) It is a vintage color wheel but I got a new color wheel from my Mom this year. I can't believe they still make them! They are pretty much the same but the new one is plastic and MUCH quieter than the old "wirrrr-ing" one!

When I tell people I have an aluminum tree they go "Huh?" so I tell them "You know the "bad" trees from Charlie Brown Christmas. Then they know. I think a lot of silver trees ended up in the trash after that.

S

I wondered if there would be a Christmas tree thread. I inherited my grandparents 4' Aluminum Christmas tree. I LOVE it. Last year I had a real flocked tree, but put the silver one up this year. I will try and get a picture up of it.

I have seen the 5-6' trees in mint condition go for 500-600.00 on eBay.

Cool pictures.

My grandparents (now ours) tree.

We have five cats, and last year they all had their own branch they sat on. Living ornaments if you will. They stayed clear this year.

[ Edited by: suzywong on 2004-01-04 07:12 ]

We, as well, only have 4 feet of aluminum. Those 4 feet, though, actually belonged to my Grandmother so they're very cool in my mind. We used to spend a great deal on Trees and Stuff Like Trees. Still do, I guess, but we've cut back a bit. Nowadays more worried about "What Kinds of Glasses are We Buying Each Other?"

Pages: 1 16 replies