Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Ever Seen This Tiki Pitcher?

Pages: 1 22 replies

I picked up this Cool and Unusual Tiki Pitcher this weekend at my local Swap Meet. It has a Roseville look to it but has a glossy finish. There are no markings on the bottom, looks like a 1960's souvenir from Hawaii. What do you guys think?

I have the ashtray and mug that matches it.
I have always thought they were cool because they colorful and pretty. Gives the collection a little variety of cool.

Nice score.

Erich

DZ

How big is this guy? I was watching an identical one on ebay a while back and was about to bid on it when I noticed that it was only 4 inches tall!

K
Kono posted on Mon, Dec 29, 2003 6:06 AM

I've got one of these and it's 7" tall. Has a "Made in Japan" sticker on the bottom. I also have a matching set of s/p shakers which you can just barely see peaking out from behind the tiki lamp in this pic I posted in the Tiki Finds thread:

I've also seen a matching shot glass for sale on a web site somewhere but it was a little pricey.

So now we know there's a pitcher (two or more sizes?), mug, ashtray, s/p shakers and shot glass. I'd think maybe there was a set except for the big "Hawaii" on each piece which makes it look more like a souvenir.

I just spotted this at an antique mall last weekend. But I passed on it cause it was $14.(Can)
Was I stupid?

I paid $2.00 for mine.

T

Slacks: Yep, you were stupid!

Slacks: Yep, you were stupid!

Oh well. Won't ever happen again! Right? :wink:

Not likely.

-Slacks

Slacks- I've had my stupid moments too. A few years back in the early days of eBay I watched an original Mai Kai decanter from opening to closing at $9.99 with no bids - not even mine! I was waiting to the last minute to snipe it when I somewhere along the line I got distracted and missed the auctions end and it closed with NO BIDDERS.

Another bonehead moment was a visit to an antique mall a few years ago. I came across the CocoJoe's wallplaque of a Maiden kneeling down and making an offering to a tiki. It was only something like $17.00. Since it was the first stop of my afternoon I decided to wait and see if I would find anything else first before I'd snag it. After a long afternoon of antiquing I forgot about it. When I remembered, it was something like 5 or 6 days later. I returned the shop only to find it had been sold!

AAARRRGGHH!

S

I failed to bid on a Trader Vic's pitcher (clear glass with their logo on it) a few years ago on Ebay, and have never seen one since. Not exactly tiki. Maybe it's common if you think to steal the big mutha while you are in there...

A

M

On 2003-12-31 17:51, PolynesianPop wrote:
Another bonehead moment was a visit to an antique mall a few years ago. I came across the CocoJoe's wallplaque of a Maiden kneeling down and making an offering to a tiki. It was only something like $17.00. Since it was the first stop of my afternoon I decided to wait and see if I would find anything else first before I'd snag it. After a long afternoon of antiquing I forgot about it. When I remembered, it was something like 5 or 6 days later. I returned the shop only to find it had been sold!

AAARRRGGHH!

Here's another chance for ya...I think this is what you were describing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3264485303

Thanks Rich! That's the one alright. Lets see how my luck holds up for this one.

If you're looking to add to your set, a matching mug is on ebay (not my auction)

Beautiful Hawaiian Tiki Mug

On 2004-01-03 13:14, PolynesianPop wrote:
Thanks Rich! That's the one alright. Lets see how my luck holds up for this one.

I've wanted one also, but I'll stay out of the bidding. I hope ya get it!

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

I had my lucky break on these tonight, so I'm feeling as though I should pass on a little good vibe to someone else...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45479&item=2370145716

M

That pitcher plus many other pieces of the same theme were made by Otagiri (OMC). Here's a collage showing all the pieces that I know of.

Row 1: OMC Logo, Stien, Mug
Row 2: Pitcher, Ashtray, Toothpick Holder/Shot Glass
Row 3: Vase, Plate, S&P Shakers

FYI, these are not mine, just photos I've collected from auctions.

ModMana :drink:

I'm totally enamored of the little mug for sale, and am bidding on it as soon as I hear from the seller regarding shipping costs to the US (I don't want any $10 surprises). Are any of you the seller?

F

Okay, so based on that picture, I started collecting these pieces. I have the ashtray, vase, big mug, plate, s&p shakers, and the pitcher. I thought I only needed the small handled mug and the cup.
A recent ebay auction had the small cup and vase. I got outbid. I emailed the winner asking him if he collected the set as well. He was a very nice guy, and responded he had a few of the pieces, including the sugar bowl.........Huh?
So I said sugar bowl? and he said yeah. Turns out there a creamer too, the smaller version of the vase described earlier in this thread.
He was cool enough to send me a picture of the sugar bowl w/lid.

Erich

8T

Wow, I knew there were various items from this pattern but I didn't know there were so many. Thanks to all of you for gathering them together here.

Wanna know something crazy Erich? I found the sugar bowl and creamer still in the gift set wrapper (complete with plastic lei) at a garage sale in Saskatoon. I'll post a photo of it later...

There it be...

Thats awsome. Thanks for the pic. I wonder if all the pieces were packaged in that fashion?

I went from needing only 2 more pieces to needing 4 more pieces.....

I wonder what else is out there with that pattern?

bringing back this old thread in case any new info is known.

most of the pictures don't work anymore in this thread.... but the discussion is about these pieces.

It was also discussed on this thread...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43851&forum=5&hilite=blue

Not what some people would call tiki... more hawaiiana... tourist junk....either way I hate labels and I love the stuff. A few other people on TC in the past have shown interest in it too.

Finally my collection is all displayed together, I thought I had it all, then ooga mooga mentioned a bell...after cussing a bit, I found one and bought it too.

So I think I have all the pieces finally... Unless someone shows me another piece not in my collection...

Plate, Bell, Creamer, sugar bowl, pitcher, big mug, small mug, Vase, Salt & Pepper shakers, tooth pick holder, ashtray....

Pages: 1 22 replies