Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

2 inch Tiki Mug ID Question

Pages: 1 9 replies

T

I picked up a wee little tiki mug on the weekend. It has a light brown glaze, a handle, circle eyes, small smile and diagonal lines over the rest of the body. The only marking on it that I can make out is the number "2" on the bottom. I'm thinking it is a creamer mug maybe. Sorry, I don't have a way to get a digital camera to take a picture.

Anybody have any idea what this is? I got it for 50 cents. 5th score from the same flea market in Ontario.

DZ

Sounds like a Westwood to me. BOT, pages 175 & 183. Maybe?

T

Believe it or not, I don't have the BOT yet. But it's on my wish list! I'm going through the gallery to see if I can at least find a similar design.

Thanks Dr. Z.

T

I have one of those too. From a flea market in Ontario of course! Actually I have a couple. They are Westwood rip offs I think. Call 'em Eastwoods!

T

I got mine at the Meyersburg flea market south of Campbellford. I went to Stittsville recently and there wasn't a thing! Supposed to be the largest flea market in Canada. Pfft.

From your description, I think that DoctorZ is right. Here is a pic that I found of the one I think you are trying to describe. It's a Westwood as noted...

T

Here's the ones I thought you were talking about - but they are taller than 2 inches. More like 3 or 4. No markings.

DZ

On 2003-12-29 14:57, tikifish wrote:
They are Westwood rip offs I think. Call 'em Eastwoods!

Duke has 'em on the "Westwoods" page in 'Tiki Quest'(pg. 64, top row), so they may well be Westwoods. I also have the leetle teeny orangy one (TQ pg. 63, third row, far right) that looks like a rip off, but it came in a labelled Westwood 4-pack with the others in that row, so I have no doubt of its "Westwoodness".

Cool Manchu-- does that toothpick holder have a handle in back? I was under the impression that all of the small and mid-sized Westwoods had handles on the sides, but only the larger mugs had handles in the back.

DoctorZ,

I found that image on an auction on eBay. I have another mug that is almost identical, but as you note, it has a small handle on the side.

-CMC

B

does that toothpick holder have a handle in back? I was under the impression that all of the small and mid-sized Westwoods had handles on the sides, but only the larger mugs had handles in the back.

Dr.Z,
The tiny Westwoods came both with a handle and without. Usually you see the version without handles used as toothpick holders like the pic Cool Manchu posted.

I was talking with Fatuhiva during my recent visit about the whole Westwood line and while I tend to credit most of the mugs in their style to Westwood, he thinks there were in fact knock-offs. The only problem I have is that the style and the quality of production (kinda' cheap) is so distinctive I have a hard time accepting the idea that they may have come from different manufacturers. Additionally, I have mugs that are trademark Westwood designs yet they have labels from other companies like "Artmark".

I'm inclined to believe that like some other manufacturers, they sold their wares to other distributors who put their stickers on them. But I could be very wrong. I'd love to hear from anyone who might have more insight.

–Duke

[ Edited by: boutiki on 2003-12-31 08:54 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies