Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau Day 1 Events

Pages: 1 5 replies

K

Use this forum to discuss your ideas for day one - Friday. So far possibilities have included a Shag art opening, a Swank Lounge Tour, a Burlesque show...

[Hanford: Edited to add Hukilau to title]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-05-22 18:52 ]

K

I'm seeing about the possibility of a performance by Richard Cheese - see http://www.richardcheese.com

If we did this in association with a venue a cover charge could cover the costs... RC is a big Trader Vic's fan and may not want to miss the opportunity to play inside TV's so that's a possibility too...

K

Just spoke with RC and he is loving this. He has actually been wanting to do something similar in L.A. and is happy now that "someone else is organizing it!." What he needs is $1,000 for plane fare and $1,000 for the show. Also hotel rooms for 2 nights. He knows people at 99X and the station will be contacting me - the idea is to do a crosspromoted event with 99X and us in a venue with a cover charge to cover these costs. We could do the 99X thing Friday night and Cheese would do an imprompto style solo performance in Trader Vic's on Saturday night.
There is also the possibility of using Nikolai's Roof as the concert venue (TV's is too small for the whole RC band)... they have much more room and it's the perfect lounge environ... Once I hear from the Radio peeps and what they'd like to do I'll see about that possibility.

The Echo Lounge has just confirmed to be our hosting event on July 19th to kickoff the event!! See their website at http://echostatic.com/echolounge/

Keep checking back for updates!

Aloha,
Tiki Kiliki

S

A new opening act for Friday night at The Echo Lounge is Atlanta's UberEasy. The first thing they played of theirs for us was Lambert, Hendricks and Ross' Twisted. We were floored! My little lounge-core heart is very excited to see what they bring to the table.

They are also are learning vintage Hawaiian songs like The Hukilau Song, Hawaiian Hospitality and Little Brown Gal. I can't wait!

We also have 2 more tiki vendors. Both making actual tikis and selling other related items. Drowning Creek Who are also doing a great poster for the event, and Kreepytiki from Miami.

The Swank Pad - Live365.com - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2002-06-12 09:38 ]

S

Torchy Taboo has the cover of Atlanta's entertainment weekly this week. She is doing exotic fire dances at night one of Hukilau. You can read the article HERE Only a slight mention of Hukilau though :(

Pages: 1 5 replies