Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Goofy songs?

Pages: 1 21 replies

So I'm driving back home and this song comes on. Copa Cabana! we've all heard it, right? you know "the hottest spot north of Habana" And of course I turn it up. No one can hear me, no one knows me around hear, and I'll never see them again. Yes the song is sappy and all that, but we all have those songs that we secretly like, right? so what is yours? I know Vintage Girl has heard this song.

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2003-12-30 00:06 ]

love american style

i swear that fireworks still make me think of that dam song...

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2003-12-30 10:04 ]

P

"Mr. Bobaleena Mr. Bob Bobaleena..."
THE Monkees
All Hail!!

For the past few months I've had Iz singing "...pakalolo will setchu free" floating around in my head.

And don't forget "Seasons in the Sun." It's extraordinarily sappy.

Enjoy having them bounce around in YOUR head now. Think of it as my little Kwanza gift.

"Yummy yummy yummy I've got love in my tuuummmmy"

DZ

On a related note, just before Christmas, a friend of mine gave me a printed list of 182 song lyrics from the 70's, with the challenge to identify both the song and the artist. (Mind you, these are not complete lyrics - it's just one line only! And none of the lyrics contain the title of the song, either. From folk, country, easy listening and pop, to rock, metal, punk, funk and disco, it covers a wide range of genres - scary!!

But here's the really scary part: on the first run-through, I was able to identify 106 of them! Yikes!! ("Copacabana" and "Seasons In The Sun" are both on the list) Since then, I've been able to add about a dozen more, but unless I'm drunk, it's starting to make my brain hurt...

(if anyone wants to give this list a try, PM or e-mail me and I'll send it off to you so you can have your own little flashback session too!)

M

Har Har- you will pay the price now:

This is an 80s lyrics quiz that I devised with some friends a few years back. It will haunt you for hours, if you dig 80s music- and don't lie, because you do. As it says, every song appeared on the Billboard Top 100, so there's no weird b-sides or obscure album tracks to throw you off.

And don't cheat! See how well you do:

http://www.inthe80s.com/lyricq2.shtml

And goofy songs that you love are properly known as "guilty pleasures", and one of mine is "Laughter in the Rain" by Neil Sedaka. What a great chorus.

On 2003-12-30 13:51, martiki wrote:
And don't cheat! See how well you do:

http://www.inthe80s.com/lyricq2.shtml

D'oh! I only got number 17! :lol:

Neil Diamond - "Forever in Bluejeans"

http://www.samgambino.com

S

Ice. Ice. Baby!

T

Oh, I'm rather partial to Stompin' Tom Connors...

H

My hooptie rollin, tail pipe draggin,
Heat don't work and my girl keeps naggin

My secret weakness is Sir Mix-a-lot. He's a local boy, and back in 1989/90, the only rap you could hear on the local radio was an hour-long program on a college station; Sir Mix-a-lot was in pretty heavy rotation. His Swass & Seminar albums were great. I must admit that my feelings of inadequacy brought on from the great popularity of his "Baby Got Back" in 1992 led to my loss of interest in his music. I should be a bigger person than that, but then, that was the problem, wasn't it? :) I miss hearing some of the other old stuff from that period: NWA, Slick Rick, Eazy-E, Public Enemy, De La Soul. I never haul out the old tapes anymore; part of me wants to pick them all up on CD, but I'm afraid they may not stand the test of time.

But "My Hooptie" is the one that is crops up most frequently in the soundtrack in my head.

Runnin, movin, tabs expired
Girlies try to dis an say my car looks tired
Hit my brakes, out slid skittles
Tinted back window with a bubble in the middle

T

magnae clunes mihi placent, nec possum de hac re mentiri.
(Large buttocks are pleasing to me, nor am I able to lie concerning this matter.)

quis enim, consortes mei, non fateatur,
(For who, colleagues, would not admit,)

cum puella incedit minore medio corpore
(Whenever a girl comes by with a rather small middle part of the body)

sub quo manifestus globus, inflammare animos
(Beneath which is an obvious spherical mass, that it inflames the spirits)

virtute praestare ut velitis, notantes bracas eius
(So that you want to be conspicuous for manly virtue, noticing her breeches)

clunibus profunde fartas esse
(Have been deeply stuffed with buttock?)

a! captus sum, nec desinere intueri possum.
(Alas! I am captured, nor am I able to desist from gazing.)

o dominola mea, volo tecum congredi
(My dear lady, I want to come together with you)

pingereque picturam tui.
(And make a picture of you.)

M

If I had been drinking milk when I read that, I would be wiping down the monitor now.

Thanks for a good laugh this morning, fish.

Tikifish, you are my hero (heroine?)! My favorite phrase in Latin class was:

"Mother, I have a dog in my bread!"

Unfortunately, I can't remember how to say it in Latin.

T

Oh, I didn't write that. I just remembered seeing it a log time ago and googled for 'latin baby got back'. Sorry to disappoint you, I do not speak latin! (But I do speak french badly, and I do a great filipino accent).

oh no there goes Tokyo.....GODZILLA!! ...

..zilla..zilla.zilla.

E

Welllll, it's 40 below and I don't give a fuck,
got a heater in my truck and I'm OFF to the rodeo!

Well, allemande left and allemande right,
come on y'fuckin' dummy getcher right foot right,
get off the stage you Goddamn goof y'know,

you piss me off
you fuckin' jerk
you get on my nerves.

Well here comes Johnny with his pecker in his hand,
he's a one-ball man and he's OFF to the rodeo!

Well, allemande left and allemande right...etc.

Well gawdamn emspace it sounds to me like you've gotten in touch with your country side. You're ready to move on to one of my favorite country records: Ed Sanders' "Truckstop". and one of the best tunes on this classic LP..."Johnny Pissoff vs. the Red Angel of Death". That should raise the temperature around there a few degrees.

E

Yessir Shipwreckjoey, well ya see I was born in Calgary, home of the world-famous Calgary Stampede, also home of the band "Showdown" that recorded the previously-shown runaway hit "The Rodeo Song".

Yep.

em.

Mighty beholden to ya em fer that little tidbit of cyberspunk, but I have to set the record straight on my previous bit of misinformation galdangit. The afformentioned song "Johnny Pissoff vs. The Red Angel of Death" is actually called "the Iliad" on the afformentioned Ed Sanders LP. It's still about Johnny Pissoff & his ongoing battle with the red angel of death, but I guess Ed had a thing going on w/ Greek mythology & how it relates to western American culture. HMMMMM.

On 2004-01-01 20:56, emspace wrote:

you piss me off
you fuckin' jerk
you get on my nerves.

I have that 45. I used to play it as last song (as the house lights went up) at a club I DJ'd at in college. (that and Mr. Rogers' "Won't You Be My Neighbor" and 2 Live Crews' "Get Tha Fuck Out Of My House")

-Z

Doctor Z - I've only been able to knock out ten songs on that list. You must've sent me all the hard ones!(WHAAAA) Time to roll up my sleeves, put on my thinking cap and get to work.

Pages: 1 21 replies