Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

question about some LPs I picked up

Pages: 1 8 replies

hello!

I went to the local good will today looking for some record sleeves to use in my kitchen to cover ugly cabinet doors or to turn into a backsplash or something along those lines, anyway, I found three, not alot this time but I'll keep looking.

Anyway ... I was wondering if anyone could tell me something about these...

"The Golden Voice of the Islands Alfred Apaka ...as Broadcast on the 'Hawaii Calls' Show"

"Alfred Apaka Sings... The Hawaiian Wedding Song and Other Favorite Songs of the Islands"

"Andre Kostelanetz: Lure of Paradise"

Was this Apaka guy very popular? Just curious, I like to know a little about what I have in case soeone asks :) Thanks

Listen. Google.

I looked him up on yahoo, all I found were places selling his CD's.

Heck yeah, Alfred Apaka is one of the more famous Hawaiian artists of the mid-1900s. I do believe his version of the "Hukilau Song" is the most known version. Andre Kostelenatz leans more towards shmaltzy easy listening, but Lure of Paradise certainly has a killer cover.

Bookmark this site for more info on both dudes, and most every other popular musician that ever lived:

http://www.allmusic.com/

[ Edited by: Selector Lopaka on 2003-12-30 18:10 ]

thank you soo much I really appreciate it

I've also heard it said that Alfred Apaka was the "Bing Crosby" of Hawaii, where Don Ho was the "Elvis" of Hawaii. Based on their voices, I'd say this was fairly apt.

Sabu

T

On 2003-12-30 13:48, Swanky_Tiki wrote:
"Andre Kostelanetz: Lure of Paradise"

FWIW, this is (in my own thrifting experience) perhaps THE most common Hawaiian record out there!

I don't about "Lure of Paradise" But I have his "Lure of the Tropics".

that's cool, maybe I can find another one like it, it really is a pretty picture! I'm not sure what to do witht he records inside. Maybe I can figure out a way to stick them inside so they won't fall out.

Pages: 1 8 replies