Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Loot Bags!

Pages: 1 11 replies

T

Remember getting loot bags as a parting gift when you went to birthday parties as a kid? We ought to revive this tradition for adult parties.

Of course, I have plenty little goodies for Tikiphiles (matchbooks, swizzles, etc) but these items would be lost, nay, CONFUSING to my non tikiphile guests (even though they may enjoy my mai tai's.)

What would you put in a loot bag? I'm thinking a trip to the local Japanese food store is a good thought, because every bag of candy or treats has individually wrapped candies inside, perfect for divvying up in bags. Hotel soaps are amusing... and perhaps bad dime novesl from the 60's from the local Goodwill... any other thoughts?

H

Finger monsters!!!

Actually, there's a ton of stuff from Archie McPhee's that would qualify.

Oriental Trading Company!

For the past 6 or 7 years, we've attended a pumkin carving party just before Halloween. Last year the host began passing out loot bags. some contents: mini carving set, ceramic jack-o-lantern tealight thingy, penny candy (specific to the tastes of the individual), those black spider rings, a framed group photo (with our finished carvings) from the previous years party, etc...

I guess the partys' theme dictates the contents- though I have to agree about Archie McPhee... I'm partial to their Hebrew Bazooka bubblegum.

-Z

DZ

I gave out packets of my 'anti-hangover' prescription at my last party...

On 2003-12-30 23:15, Doctor Z wrote:
I gave out packets of my 'anti-hangover' prescription at my last party...

and I've been hung over ever since! (for not showing up!)

The hangover remedy is a great idea.. unfortunately, my hangover remedy was not around after my Xmas party... garlic pills and vitamin B! (actually, they are better taken BEFORE the event in question). But when I have my next party I will for sure include those in the loot bag. I am a married lady now, so I don't have these bachelorete aids readily on hand anymore...

What about giving a compilation cd of the music you play at your party/event/gathering?

Oh, that is an excellent idea too! Especially since my friends are not really into the tiki thing. A good cheap way to spread the gospel!

I'm having a party on friday and everyone who attends gets to pick a prize (wrapped in brown paper). They can keep what they get or try to swap for something else. I've been picking up stuff at thrift stores for months for this party. Here's some of what I have:

60's "Magic of Oil Painting" art instruction books
4 paperbacks based on 70's TV series: Mod Squad, Partridge Family, Brigit Loves Bernie, Room 222
4 Mad Magazine paperbacks
Sweet Valley High board game ("Can you find your boyfriend in time for the big date?")
6 Martha Stewart Living Magazines (the original owner made color-coded tabs to mark certain sections)
1950's jigsaw puzzles (naughty bears destroying a campsite type of thing)
Highball glasses from the Edmonton Firefighter's Social Club (with a dramatic illustration of a highrise on fire)
Spongebob Squarepants Kraft Dinner (the only thing not from the thrift store)

pez

A barf bag, with a Yellow Taxi business card taped to it. (Remember, It's the thought)

Pages: 1 11 replies