Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

'Hapawood' Ashtray

Pages: 1 8 replies

My mom gave me what looks like an ashtray for Xmas - seems to be made of the same 'Hapawood' as the CocoJoe's stuff. It looks like a leaf, and on the front it says ALOHA HAWAII.

My question is, since Hapawood is plastic, can this really be used as an ashtray?

Note: For those of you in California who consider smoking a cardinal sin, please ignore this question!

A

Hey TF,
Here is a little coco Joes Hapawood tray I have. You can see the cigarette burns. I think this plastic material would burn pretty easy, I don't think the black material would be any better.
Mahalo,
Al

E

I've seen a lot of Coco's ashtrays in "lava" (inculding in my parents' home back in the day), and any one that was actually used ends up looking terrible, all this burned-in ash gunk. I will only buy unused ones.

em

T

Ok, that is the one I have, Alnshely!
I will use it strictly for decoration. I was really wondering why on earth an ashtray was made out of plastic, but then I thought maybe cocojoes hapawoodwas some sort of... 'maaagic plastic' (insert homer simpson voice) that wouldn't burn.

I see I was wrong! I look forward to the new line of cocojoes plastic ovenware, and cardboard fire pokers.

S
SES posted on Fri, Jan 2, 2004 4:30 PM

I was really wondering why on earth an ashtray was made out of plastic,

Maybe was meant for those toy cigarettes they had around when I was a kid? They marketed cigs to everyone!

I too have one of those ashtrays, in good condition luckily. I think I'll use it for cherries, umbrellas or something at the bar. Maybe for the little black cats/monkeys/mermaids etc. that hang off your glass? I just love the monstera leaf, having just bought a real one. I'm going to use that design on my wedding invites due to go out in the next couple of months(Tiki themed wedding!!!!)

Aloha, eh
-Tikiwahine

tikifish wrote:
...My question is, since Hapawood is plastic, can this really be used as an ashtray?

As you can see from Al's ashtray, the plastic will burn and discolor with direct heat on it. This happens, of course, if you use it as a cigarette rest. If you use it as an ashtray, then it will be fine...meaning the smoker would have to ALWAYS hold their cig and ONLY flick their ash into the ashtray. Unfortunately, actually having the smoker hold their cigarette is not always a reality.

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

Enter The SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2004-01-14 20:56 ]

S
SES posted on Tue, Jan 13, 2004 11:00 PM

Hey... I didn't write that I was quoting in BOLD PRINT.

Pages: 1 8 replies