Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

please help identify my rattan

Pages: 1 19 replies

We've had this set for a while and I haven't been able to identify who might have made it. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
cheeky half

I wish I coiuld help, but those are great bends on the bamboo, (Time for new chair pads?)

Very nice. I love the stacked bottom on the couch. are those the original cushions?
Aloha,
:tiki:

They are the cushions that came with the set, I don't know if they're original. I like the pattern, but the fabric is a bit worn. If I can figure out who made it then hopefully I'll be able to find some pictures showing the original upholstery.

Cheeky Half,

Sweet rattan pieces! I have the vintage rattan book mentioned in post above, and will check to see if your style is in there.

Wow - sell me the sofa and i'll tell you who made it-- really though it may be Kane Kraft-- it resembles a piece from them that I have-- has the look of a piece from the philippenes.

Much obliged for the info.
I did a quick google for Kane Kraft but didn't come up with much. Hopefully Tiki_Bong will be able to confirm or deny it. Either way, I've now got yet another book for my post-Christmas wishlist.
Limptiki, have you got any pics of your piece? Um, I'm talking about your rattan piece if that wasn't obvious.

I'm fascinated by that lamp. is that a custom piece?

DZ

On 2003-12-31 09:04, Unga Bunga wrote:
I wish I coiuld help, but those are great bends on the bamboo, (Time for new chair pads?)

Unga-- Don't let Ben hear you say that!!

(bamboo doesn't bend!)

Tortose (sp?)Bamboo (like the turtle!!!).That shit aint cheap!(unless you live in Japan and grow it!) Cheeky- is that real or metal? That couch is cool. Score!!!

Cheeky 1/2,

I checked my Rattan book by Schwartz, and did not find your pieces. But that really doesn't matter because your pieces are definately vintage, beautiful, and you cannot put every piece of something in a book about a specific something.

Enjoy.

PS I once lived in the Tucson area, it was on the Papago Indian reservation as a small boy. Unfortunatly, I do not have pleasant memories of that time...

Thanks for checking Bong. We enjoy it a lot and will continue to do so. Sorry for reminding you of unpleasant memories...I take it you don't come back to Tucson for visits.
As far as the lamp is concerned - we bought it from a nice woman in Green Valley who bought it at a yard sale in Green Valley (GV is sort of a middle/upper-class retirement community.) It has a tag on it that reads:
N.L.G. Cottage
Research and Training Center Found., Inc.
Cebu, Phils Tel 6-13-71, 7-51-64
I've never tried the phone number. It's not metal or tortoise - it's bamboo that has been painted brown. I think the shape of it is really beautiful though. That's all the info we have on it.

It's not metal or tortoise - it's bamboo

The style of the Bamboo is called Tortoise. Nice find.

http://insiderweb.com/images/culms-480.jpg

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2004-01-01 11:34 ]

T

Cheeky .5,
I do love AZ, as I was born in Cochise County in a little town called Bisbee in the Copper Queen Hospital.

My grandfather was Blackfoot and the only jobs available for them were in the copper mines in that town. He worked in the lavendar pit in fire control, setting up the dynomite for the charges.

As a boy, he took me many times to the bars along brewry gulch. He gave me a number of mineral and copper specimens which today I charish.

I to this day, love the desert. It's a place where you learn to respect nature. If you don't, you will die. Same with surfing...

S
SES posted on Thu, Jan 1, 2004 8:13 PM

I worked at Choo Choo's Night Train nights and at the Old Pueblo Club during the days when I lived in Tucson.

T_B,
We love Bisbee. It's a small town with spunk. Was the Shady Dell around when you lived there? It's still for sale. I always have mixed feelings when we drive past that copper mine, a mixture of awe and sadness. I doubt most people think about the sweat and blood that went into it. If you do find yourself in the area again let me know and we can hit the Kon Tiki.

SES - choo choo's is now called Berkley's, I think. Haven't been there. Is the Old Pueblo Club worth checking out? We moved here about a year and a half ago, so we're still sussin' the place out.

And a special thanks to the Rev for the info.

[ Edited by: cheeky half on 2004-01-02 19:48 ]

L

cheeky 1/2 - email me your addr and i'll send some related pics to you.

S
SES posted on Mon, Jan 5, 2004 5:25 PM

**cheeky half
SES - choo choo's is now called Berkley's, I think. Haven't been there. Is the Old Pueblo Club worth checking out? We moved here about a year and a half ago, so we're still sussin' the place out. **
This was way back in 1978/79.
Choo Choo's was on 4th. Last year when I went by it looked like it was a shop.
OPC is no longer. It was at the top of the tallest bank building that flashed the time and temp. (Home Federal Building)OPC was an exclusive private club. I used to laugh that I worked in the ritziest fancy club during the day and the most dangerous dive at night.
:D
Last year, I stopped in a place almost across the street from the old Choo Choo's that was nice called Plush.

H

On 2003-12-31 11:31, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Cheeky Half,

Sweet rattan pieces! I have the vintage rattan book mentioned in post above, and will check to see if your style is in there.

I wrote the book , but the pictures are gone and I can't see them.HARVEY

Pages: 1 19 replies