Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

A horror discovered!

Pages: 1 11 replies

S

I have had this strange feeling for a little while and today I decided to find the truth. I am getting ready to make some New Years drinks. I have a jigger that was from my mother's estate. I have used it for years. Gone through the Grog Log with it. Today I found out the jigger end is 1 ounce! Not 1 1/2, 1! Everything is wrong! Every drink I tried was made wrong! So now what? I have notes and grades on all these drinks and now I find that they were all made wrong! For years now I have been making things wrong. It's just mind boggling. I am shocked and do not know where to go from here...

T

Looks like you have a lot of catching up to do. Ready, set, drink!

I learned it as 1 jigger = one and one half ounce. As far as I'm concerned you had it right.

T

Easy big fella! Yes, a jigger= 1.5 oz. I even looked it up on the net to confirm. You have been right all along! Happy New Year! Salud! :)

Send me your adress, Swank. I'll mail you what you need.

H

I think Swanky's point is that he just discovered his favorite jigger is non-standard, and is only one ounce. Swanky, think of this as an opportunity. And think how much better the drinks may be now! If any of your versions end up being better than the standard version, you get to make up your own drink name, which should be fun. I think this is great news.

K

Tell ya what Swank, you give me an address and I'll ship ya a pyrex pharmacist's jigger like Berry describes in the Log.

Consider it a silver lining.

pele

T

Double jiggers come in all different combinations. Some are 0.5 x 1.5, some are 1 x 1.5, some are 3/4 x 1.5, some are 1 x 2, there's even one on amazon.com that's 3/4 x 1 and 1/4.

To make things more confusing the liquid measurement called a jigger is typically 1.5 oz. (a pony is 1 oz.), yet the tool called a jigger could be any size!

_ _
/
/
/
_

[ Edited by: thejab on 2003-12-31 15:12 ]

I use vintage 1950's Holland House jiggers. Accurate to the 1/8th ounce. I have four, so I can spare one.

S

Well, I figured out which shot glass I have is 1 1/2 ounces and I'll use that until I find a new one I like. It does make me want to retry a few drinks. Maybe tonight I can see what some of my favorites realy taste like.

not related at all, but kind of a Horror. Or, kinda cool. Just chiillin with my wife and kids this new years eve and saw a Krypton Tiki Bar aka the one that the Farm (Tiki) sells on ABC on that show that Damon Waynes is on. Hmmmm. A family show. A Disney family show. Score! There was also some cool 50's looking light fixture hanging above it. And, kinda relating this this post, a cocktail shaker! There might have even been a jigger but our tv is old.

Happy new years!

M

On 2003-12-31 14:24, Swanky wrote:
I have had this strange feeling for a little while and today I decided to find the truth. I am getting ready to make some New Years drinks. I have a jigger that was from my mother's estate. I have used it for years. Gone through the Grog Log with it. Today I found out the jigger end is 1 ounce! Not 1 1/2, 1! Everything is wrong! Every drink I tried was made wrong! So now what? I have notes and grades on all these drinks and now I find that they were all made wrong! For years now I have been making things wrong. It's just mind boggling. I am shocked and do not know where to go from here...

If I understand you correctly, all you were doing is making a smaller drink. If you used the same measuring device for ALL the ingredients than the proportions would still be the same. Personally, Swanky, I think you are using this as an excuse to make those drinks all over AGAIN!!
Shame, on you!! As if any one of us needs an excuse to drink!! :)

Drink on and Happy new years y'all!

Pages: 1 11 replies