Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Anybody know anything about Ray Kinney?

Pages: 1 5 replies

D

I just picked up this LP called 'Luau at Waikiki-Recorded live at the Hilton Hawaiian Village'. I think it was put out by United Airlines. The cover photo is of a luau with the caption 'United Air Lines can fly you to Hawaii'. I actually have this same image on a postcard.

Basically this LP is of the live show at the hotel hosted by Ray Kinney. The inner sleeve is also autographed by him. It's not a reproduced autograph and looks like it was signed in ballpoint pen. Is it authentic? Don't know...

Anybody ever heard of this LP or person?

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Jan 1, 2004 3:33 PM

I brought this LP up before HERE
I am not sure if you have exactly the same one. Some nice pics inside mine.

D

Thanks Swank...

The LP you have is the one I'm talking about. I haven't played the whole thing, but I just saw the floor show at the Mai Kai for the first time last week, and it sounds like the show recorded on the Waikiki LP is very similar to what they do there.

You and I should trade LP titles so I know what to look for when I'm at the flea market or thrift store. One title I like that I got pretty recently is 'Fire Goddess' by Webley Edwards. Got that for like 3 bucks in pretty good shape. Another really cool one is 'Orienta' by the Markko Pollo Adventurers. Very atmospheric and very cool.

cheers! :drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-01-01 16:16 ]

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jan 2, 2004 8:57 AM

My advice, if it's $1 or less, and in reasonable shape, get it. One fairly common one to get it Sam Makia, and now I can't think of the title. It's a yellow EP with a cute little brown gal on the cover. Great record.

Buy everything you can for cheap, and when you find a real gem, get on Ebay and find a mint copy for a reasonable price.

T

Found this online movie of what they believe is Ray Kinney.

A

I have these two Ray Kinney albums

The liner notes say he is Hawaiian and he played the hawaiian room at the Hotel lexington.
Mahalo,
Al

Oh and I forgot this one on the wall.

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2004-01-02 15:11 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies